Advil/ibuprofen reaction?
I have been having allergic reactions for the past year. They symptoms include raised swelling spots /hives all over my body, facial swelling, especially the lips and eye areas, and terrible itching of skin and scalp. At one piont, I was diagnosed with asthma and put on a nebulizer for several months. The spots seem to move per occasion. I have been trying to scientifically figure out what is causing these conditions - keeping a food journal, seeking help of allergist, dermatologist and a GP. They provide me with antiinflammatories and anti histimine meds, but to no avail. About two months ago, I started reducing my medicaine intake and notices that the symptoms have subsided. The whole overbody hives experience had lessened. Last night, I took 800 ml of Ibuprofen for pain. Within an hour, my face began to swell, hives popped out all over my body and I was itching like crazy. I took an antihistimine and that helped. My question is: After all the medical advice trying to figure out what I am allergic to, could it be Ibuprofen? If so, what can I take in it's place for back and hip pain from past surgeries?
you made my day. I have taken Advil on and off for over a year and lately have deloped periodic hives ( pin point highly pruritic dots) on my sides and forearm. Thought they were some type of mite bite. I have not taken Advil for several days , been using Bufferin instead and the hive have started to disappear. Began  to think it might be the Advil and your note nailed it. I had the same problem years ago with sulfa. Larry F. ***@****
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Yes, Advil is known to cause “hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.” Refer: http://www.drugs.com/advil.html
However, only an allergy panel test by skin test or RAST can give exact confirmation. Chances of allergy are high in your case as you got the symptoms after taking the drug and you were almost symptom free when you did not. Instead you can take COX-2 inhibitors like rofecoxib and celecoxib or nimesulide. Try local analgesic creams and sprays and hot water bags. These will be equally effective in relieving pain without loading your system with drugs.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!