Allergy Community
After eating shellfish, how long could an allergic response take?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Shellfish allergies run in my family - every now a bite of shellfish will give us a hive or two.  No biggie.  I am currently going through full blown hives all over my body after consuming a bite about 2-3 days before the hives appeared.  I got steroids to immobilize my immune system and the next day, I got a nasty virus with high fevers, etc.  The hives are still there, so is the nasty virus.  

I thought my shellfish provoked the response, but my allergist thinks the hives were brought on by my immune system "anticipating" that a virus was intruding on my body.  How plausible is this, and how implausible is the shrimp theory?

Thanks!

It is possible that the immune response was brought about by either of the causes. In fact, I would like to say that the immune response to the shellfish may have increased the response to the viral attack.

Both of these theories are possible. The treatment for either is the same.

I do not understand your statement when you mention the plausibility of the shrimp theory. Please explain.

Best regards.