Allergy Community
Alergy Chest congestion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Alergy Chest congestion

I seldom have upper respiratory symptoms.  My alergy (allergy) presents as very loose and fluid chest congestion - if unchecked it get to the point of sounding like pneumonia. I am alergic (allergic) to Mt Red Cedar and some other alergens - mostly fall and spring, but recently realized dairy products and some fruits cause the same effect.   Perscriptions such as clarnex and singular used to keep it at bay and I didn't need to be on it constantly, but recently it is getting worse and I always seem to have a productive cough.  I can't find very much info on lower respiratory alergies (allergies).  Information for alergies (allergies) seems to be only the upper symptoms which are not my problem; or it talks about the severe lung conditions or asthma.  I'd like to know I'm not alone - and if there is anything others have tried that is helpful?  (FYI anything like allegra or things with strong antihistamines knock me out and don't seem to be as effective).  Thanks!
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Needless to say, you must consult a chest specialist. This could be a case of bronchiectasis. “Dilation of the bronchial walls results in airflow obstruction and impaired clearance of secretions because the dilated areas disrupt normal air pressure in the bronchial tubes, causing sputum to pool inside the dilated areas instead of being pushed upward[4]. The pooled sputum provides an environment conducive to the growth of infectious pathogens, and these areas of the lungs are thus very vulnerable to infection. The more infections that the lungs experience, the more damaged the lung tissue and alveoli become.” Refer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronchiectasis
It could also be a case of allergic bronchitis or asthma too.
I would strongly recommend you to see a chest specialsit. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage.  Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!