Allergy Community
Allergic reaction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Allergic reaction

I also had a reaction to my bra. I paid $40.00 for the Victoria Secret bra sometime last year. I didn't know what was going on. Every time i put it on, it would become very irratating. I wore it to work one night. I was scratching and pulling at it all night. When I got home  I pulled it off. I had red blotches across my back and sides. I even showed my husband. I wasn't sure what was going on so I threw the bra away. I haven't had a problem since. I think it was a very sexy brand. I didn't think anything of it until I saw the broadcast on the news. Well at least I know what was causing the problem.
I've been having problems wearing half the bras I brought from WAL-MART. Same thing, iching and rash and burning.I soaked all my bras in buckets of hot soapy bleach water, then washed in washer several times with no bleach. I dried them in the dryer and the hung them over night. I also disinfected the dresser drawer. But when you put these bras back in even with leaving the drawer slightly open, I still get this musky smell again. I can't stand this. Every time I put a bra on I know there is suffering forth coming. I checked to see where the bras our made an each one is different. One is from Indonesia, China, Thaliland, and Honduras. WHAT IS IN OUR BRAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Something has to be done about this. Thanks 19 Action News!
I just had a similar reaction from two different brands of thigh high stockings. When I took the stockings off I had a red welt where the top rubber/plastic band touched my leg. The itching was so horrible I would end up with more welts from my scratching. As the red welts disappeared over the course of a week, I was still bothered by small water blisters that would pop up and itch, scab over, itch some more causing me to scratch them open...And so went the cycle. My mother and I don't wear pantyhose because the waistbands are so tight we end up with abdominal cramping and a back ache. So now it seems I won't be able to wear skirts or dresses unless it's summer and I can go without stockings. I'm fed up with the **** that is ending up in our stores.
Dear Friends,

First and foremost, thank you to all the MedHelp members who participated in the CBS-TV news story about allergic reactions to certain Victoria's Secret bras!  

For those who missed the story, here is a link to their website.  Once there, click on "WATCH IT HERE:  BAD BRAS: A Consumer Alert"

http://www.19actionnews.com/Global/story.asp?s=8165067  

If you are having an allergic reaction to Victoria's Secret Bras, please call the company at: 800-945-5088.

To find other MedHelp members who have posted messages about allergic reactions to the bras, type VICTORIAS SECRET ALLERGIC in the search box at the top right side of this page.

MedHelp

I just saw the story about Victoria's Secret bras.  These are the only bras I wear because of support issues.  I too started having severe rashes and have seen my doctor about it.  She has given me a powder for yeast infection under my bust, but it doesn't seem to help.  I have been washing my bras after even wearing them for just an hour or two.  It seemed to help for a while, but now I am rashy again.  I will call the company in the morning to get compensation.  I have about 15 bras now because I wash them so often.... yes I have spent a small fortune on them.  Now I know what the problem is.... guess I need to find a new bra.... wish me luck!

LOOK AND SEE IF THESE HAVE SPANDEX OR SPANDEX LYCRA!   The thread itself is probably what you are reacting to.

I bought a new pair of Socks at walgreens and in 20 minutes my legs were swollen like a balloon.  This OFF brand, $6 for Men's crew and NEVER thought that SPANDEX is what i would react to.   I do have a latex allergy, but WOW what a surprise!!

Two weeks now, and i had the socks on for 10 minutes only!  Two bouts of Cortisone (i feel like i put on 20 lbs-) and cortisone creme-- WHAT CAN BE DONE FOR THIS!!
I've had a very itchy rash for 3 months now and am 8 months pregnant. Finally gave in and used some cortizone and benedryl creams. Some relief, but no cure at all.

I have an appt with an allergist tomorrow. Almost certain I have figured out it is to elastics. I checked 2 of my bras, both have spandex, not latex. So at least maybe they can concentrate on which types of elastics are the problem. Maybe just spandex, maybe all of them.  I finally realized the major flare ups are where my bra meets the strap at my shoulder area, under my breasts, around my middle (stetchy maternity clothes and any stretchy waistbands), where my pregnant belly meets the pubic area (what a coincidence, right where my low rise maternity undies lay!), on my behind where the undies cross, on the sides and front of my legs - we have a waterproof protector on the mattress. Being pregnant I only lay on my sides or sort over on my front as much as I can anyway. Also around my ankles... I don't wear socks a lot, but I'm sure I've worn them several times in 3 months anyway. lol Not sure what took me so long to figure this out, but after seeing my OB, my family doctor, and 2 dermotogists... I think I figured it out.   The only think is I started to get it on my face as well so I'm not sure about that one.  We'll see when I meet the immunogist/allergist tomorrow I hope.
I am relieved to find out that there is information available about Victoria's Secret bras giving a rash. I have bought and exchanged 8 bras from Victoria's Secret, and only one, that is the simplest and uses a different fabric and has no support cups, doesn't give me a rash. I just bought 4 more bras from 2 from Wonder Bra and 2 from another maker, and it looks like the Wonder Bra (Made in China) is giving me a rash as well. It is very similar in make to the Victoria's Secret bras that have been causing my itchy, red, triangle (clearly around my breasts were the seems sit) shaped rash. I also have had outbreaks on my back where the strap sits on my skin.

I stopped wearing the bras and after 4 to 5 weeks the rash cleared up. However, this was after 4 to 5 months of experimenting with different dermatologist recommend creams to clear it up, washing the bras multiple times (by hand in Woolite or in the machine with detergent that I wash all of my clothes in).

Clearly there is a manufacturer that Victoria's Secret and perhaps Wonder Bra uses in China that uses a chemical that irritates one's skin.

More news reports need to be released about this so we can help each other understand why this has been happening in order to influence these companies to stop cutting corners and make appropriate adjustments to their manufacturing practices.
As I sit here and read all the comments I am amazed.  I have been suffering from this extremely itchy rash on my breast for 2 weeks.  I told my husband just yesterday I think its the bra I bought at Victorias Secret a couple of weeks ago.  I noticed while wearing the bra, my breast itched so bad I couldnt wait to rip it off when I got home.  I thought maybe it was my perfume or maybe it was stress.  But it has been revealed to me just today while watching the news that its not just me other women are experiencing the same agony.
I too have gone to the doctor for a rash and welts around my bra area. It spread from there to my stomach to the underneath of my arms. I couldn't figure out what has caused this until i seen the Victoria Secret news. I have the Secret Embrace, and I never thought it could be the reason. I just bought a new one and i am off to the store to get my money back. The rash and welts are so hot and itchy i can't stand it. I am glad I finally found a way to relieve my suffering. What can i do to join the class action lawsuit?
I swore by these Angels Secret Embrace bras when they first came out and I bought two. About a year later, I bought some more, but noticed my breasts would feel sore when I wore the new ones. I thought I needed to break them in, but it struck me as odd because the original ones needed no "breaking in". Next I developed a red, rashy blotch on my right breast. It scared me to death. I went to the dermatologist who diagnosed it as a fungal infection similar to Athlete's Foot and gave me a topical antibiotic cream to apply 2x daily. The rash subsided, but I was still feeling that overall soreness to my breasts and dissed wearing the Secret Embrace bras completely. Within a few days of wearing a bra that was half the price of the VS bra, I felt so much better. The rash is gone and so are the VS bras that cause me so much pain and a rash. However, I'm stuck with the bumpy marks all over my breasts - looks like perennial pimples and moles. Very depressing. If a class action suit is pursued, I hope to be contacted to participate.
***@****
I was really interested in this information. Months ago I went to a "bra party" and bought a new bra (not Victoria's Secret) and I thought I was losing my mind. There were no welts or visible signs of any problem, but I felt like everywhere the bra touched my skin was on fire. It took a very long time after I quit wearing the bra to even feel any relief. Thanks for letting me know I wasn't going crazy.
I have had blistering welts so bad on my right breast, that it has left permanent scarring.  I wear Lilyette bras and it hurts and itches so much that when I feel the symptoms coming on, within a week the blisters will be oozing.  I don't wear Victoria's Secret bras, so I'm thinking that the material these bras are made of may be more of a problem than who manufactures them?
I have been thinking I was crazy!  My problem started last summer. I bought 2 new VS bras and almost immediately noticed that something was wrong. Underneath my left breast was itching ,  and a spot on my right breast was painful, so I took my bra off and oh my gosh! The entire crease of wear the bra sits was bright red, it was hot to touch and so painful. I thought I didn't wash my bras well enough so I washed them again, and the same thing occurred. I ended up going to the doctor for the redness, and said I had a yeast infection. Gave me a prescription for Zazole ( a vaginal cream for yeast) and said that I will probably always have a brown spot under there. In May I went to my OB for a check up and she too noticed it and gave me a stronger cream, she said it was yeast too. But the funny thing is that the cream stops the itching for a little while, and then it starts back up.   THe only thing that makes it feel better is not to wear a bra, but when you have a large chest that is not practical.  I still have problems with the redness and burning. I will be paying closer attention to which bras make me break out. The ones I know for sure are the Very Sexy bras.  What is going on with our bras????
This is what victoria secret cuased me....

This is what victoria secret cause me....

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/motleyglittergirl/IMGP0428.jpg

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/motleyglittergirl/IMGP0428.jpg[/IMG]

I wore the VS ipex bras for over a year because of support issues (they were the best and I liked the smooth fabric) The itching and pain I had was so intense. I went to my doctor a long time ago and was given a cream for a yeast infection as well. This did not help at all. The itching was so bad sometimes I thought I was going crazy. A friend suggested it might be shingles, another said it was my bras. I decided maybe the irratation was due to  the thickness of the fabric (which was different than my bras in the past) and perhaps wasn't letting the skin breath- so I only wore them with certain clothes instead of every day. The pain started to go away, but the bizzare itching would come back from time to time. Over the year I threw two out because I thought they might have gotten something in them that I had a reaction to - perfume? fabricsoftener?  I always thought VS would use quality fabric and just figured the problem was my sensitive skin. In the end its good to finally know it is formaldahyde that caused the problem, But I am worried if long term exposure could cause anything other than a years worth of itchy agony?!  Please could anyone who has medical knowledge or has heard, comment on possible long term side effects? My husband is worried about cancer, I am not happy with the patchy red discoloration that has resulted (and a lot of small burst blood vessels where I scratched so hard!) I never really got the welts, just painful ithy splotchy - red rashes.  thanks
Please I need help in reguarding the class action lawsuit about Victoria Secrets bras. It all makes since now, I wear these bras and underwear all the time. I have been fighting the same itchy rashes for months now.  I have tried all kinds of creams, they go away and come right back. It has to be related to these articles of clothing and I never thought about it. Please someone contact me about this and what to do about the lawsuit.

AGHHH!!! I can't stop itching even as i write this!  I thought that this was just being caused by my overly sensitive skin.  My husband told me that it  was prolly just a heat rash, but I wondered why I had never had them before even after 4 yrs in the Marines.  I was flored when I saw the news report this morning!  My husband and I both looked at one another with astonishment.  I have been putting neosporin on for two weeks now.  I am totally going to see the doctor now.  Thanks for the report... I would love to be contacted if this goes through
I want to see if someone can give me that information about lawsuite of the victoria sercret bra? the Lawyer and etc. i laso had an allergic reaction to the bra and i owe all victoria secret and never new it was because of that?

Has anyone had problems with the panties causing burning irritation down there?
I recently purchased a "foam" lined bra from Kohl's.  Upon wearing it, I immediately began noticing one nipple turned red and began itching.  Thinking I had a yeast infection, I put some vinegar on it and after a week of 3x a day, it did go away.  Fortunately, I also thought it just might be the bra so I stopped wearing it.  Now I know!
I called Victoria Secret last week (800-945-5088) and was told by a Customer Service Supervisor they would send me a prepaid envelope to return all my VS bras for a full refund.  Today, I received a call from Michelle Sharma of the Victoria Secret claims department.  Ms. Sharma confirmed that the prepaid return envelope is on it's way to me to return all my VS bras in exchange for a full refund.  Ms. Sharma requested me to send her a copy of all my medical bills I have incurred to date relating to the treatment of my rash so Victoria Secret can reimburse me for all out-of-pocket medical expenses.  Here is Ms. Sharma's contact info for all of you that also want reimbursement:  
Attn:  Michelle Sharma (her phone number is 1-800-810-7011; select option #1, then select option #3)
The Limited
3 Limited Parkway
Columbus, OH  43230
Today I received the prepaid return envelope from Victoria Secret to return the bras that were causing rashes in exchange for a full refund.  Unfortunately, they did not send anything in writing stating they will refund the money I spent on these bras.  I called Michelle Sharma (VS claims dept.) at 800-810-7011 and she referred me to Dawn Arthur (VS client relations supervisor) at 937-438-4281.  Ms. Arthur stated she would send me a letter stating $42.00 would be refunded to me for each bra returned.  I told her I want a FULL RETAIL REFUND of $56.00 per bra.  She agreed and stated the letter would me mailed to me today.  I'll let you know when that letter arrives.  

Fight for your rights ladies and don't settle for less than full satisfaction!  
I am having the same problem that these women have had with Victoria Secrets Bras, mine is with a Wacoal Bra,  I am experiencing awful burning and large red blotches that truly hurt, some have turned in to small blisters.  This is quite painful and it is all over one side on my body where the bra would fit.  Until I read these postings I really did not know what was going on.  the area is so sensitive it is unbearable.  Is there anyone else out there who has experienced the same symptoms with any Wacoal products. I soul
I am completely blown away by how many of you are out there with the same problems I've been experiencing. I have been living with the most severe pain and inflamed open sore on one of my nipples for the past two years. I have spent thousands of dollars trying to figure out the source of the problem to no avail. I never thought that it could be my VS bras. I thought I had breast cancer and had a biopsy done which left scarring. I've been prescribed steroid creams which have not helped and have only caused other problems. I have been in great pain and have felt horribly alone and deformed. I have tried swtiching all my detergents and lotions and have drastically altered my diet assuming that I must have food allergies. I am even more frustrated to learn that this is such a widespread problem. I'm sorry you ladies are in this same boat. Something needs to be done! Thank you for posting the contact info at VS, I'm going to contact them right away.
I just found this website: http://www.ecochoices.com which offers affordable bras made in California using 95% organic cotton/ 5% spandex. I just ordered some since I'm never going to wear VS again. Check them out, the bras are $22 each. I hope this helps, I just want this horrible problem to go away.
this has been a chronic problem with all my bras that have the printed label on back.  they are made in china and i have a terrible tingle and itch all the time.  my bras were warners barely there and vanity fair..  scubbing with alchol and vinegar did not help...  even the material covering the underwire makes me RED!   Warners has sent me a return paid shipping pouch and has refunded the cost of the items.  problem is now i have no underwear!  
I have really bad allergic reaction to some high blood pressure pills, it swollen my mouth, tongue,throat and larynx.  It went on for days and the doctor did not know what what was going on can I file a lawsuit behind that incident. send the answer to my email address ***@****.
Be careful of "Leg Avenue" as well. They make Halloween costumes and thigh highs. I have a red itchy painful ring exactly where the thigh highs met my skin.
Every time I wear men's socks made in China my feet and ankles itch like crazy. My solution - never buy socks (and certain other things) made in China.