Allergy Community
Allergic to Alcohol?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Allergic to Alcohol?

I used to be able to drink without a problem - basically when I would drink too much I would get sick like any normal person but for the most part I was fine.  Within the past year or so, it has come to the point where EVERY single time I drink (no matter what it is - beer, wine, mixed drinks, hard alcohol, malt liquor) I will get sick.  For example, last night I had one beer.  I felt the slightest buzz for about 30 minutes and it wore off and I spent the rest of the night with friends.  By 2am, like clockwork, I started getting the chills.  I have to go to the bathroom every 15 minutes or so.  I start shaking uncontrollably no matter how many blankets I am under.  And then by 7am I throw up and then 7:30 I throw up again and feel horribly nausous until I force myself to fall asleep.  This isn't normal after one beer!  And the thing is, it isn't just beer, this happens no matter what I drink or how little I have.  Am I allergic to alcohol?
Related Discussions
14 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
I wonder how many years you have been drinking.  Our tolerance will change through the years, but if this is happening after even one beer, (or drink) you may indeed have developed an allergy, or worse, your liver is unable to process the alcohol and other impurities in the spirits.  

I have had a horrible time with red wine. I will wake up around four a.m and just be restless and agitated---very uncomfortable and have decided it's just not worth it.  I can only drink quality spirits which are super distilled or there will be hell to pay.  I would suggest laying off for at least 2 weeks, better yet a month and see if you don't feel a whole lot better. Work on getting you general health upgraded and then maybe try a drink or 2 again.  If you still feel nasty, get your liver enzymes tested.
Blank
Avatar_f_tn

Some people have an intolerance to alochol and others could have an allergic reaction. The best thing to do is stay away from the stuff. I know I used to get a headache when I would drink a beer.
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
If i drink one domestic beer (Canadian),i get a headache that can last 24 hours,but I can drink a few pints of draught Guinness with no effect?
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
I have been able to consume wine without any problem - usually a glass with meals, have done for years....in the last couple of months though, I suffer from a severe pressure headache over the left eye after only a couple of mouthfuls of wine.....any thoughts
Blank
363682_tn?1299492962
   Much the same with me.  I suppose I have been a heavy drinker in the past but wouldn't have thought that I had a 'drink problem' in the classical sense ... rather I just simply enjoyed the stuff.  However, now I've cut back I've started to find I get a similar sort of headache which runs from just above my left eye across the top of my head and down into the left side of my neck.  This comes on around two hours after I've taken alcohol - even as little as two drinks ... of anything alcoholic.  These headaches can last all evening, are pretty chronic and are sometimes accompanied by visible flushing of the face and neck.  Putting pressure on the base of my neck will temporarily relieve the symptoms but that's all.  It's possible the situation is worsened by posture but the overall fact - like it or not - is that I rarely, if ever, get a headache unless I've had alcohol.  
Blank
Avatar_m_tn
I binge drank every weekend from 17 to 26. All of a sudden, I couldn't stomach greasy food, dairy or milk products, and just one glass of alcohol would give me a hangover.

This means your liver has reached its capacity to process alcohol because you've either been drinking too much for too long or it's not functioning due to some other health issue. There are many liver tonics available from the health store. I would recommend you visit a naturopath and start taking a liver tonic that is suitable for you.
Blank
Avatar_f_tn

I rarely used to drink when I got those headaches. I used to think it was from being dehydrated and found out that wasn't the case. So on the rare occasion that I would drink beer, I used to take 2 aspirin (do not take Tylenol !)  before I drank and that took care of my headaches.

I agree with the liver tonic suggestion --- that may help.
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
I have a very similar reaction. I can have 1 or 2 beer (or any alcoholic drink) have a wonderful day go to bed and within an hours of going to sleep I wake up shaking uncontrallable to where my legs and body are stiff and it's hard to walk. I have to run to the bathroom where I have  diarrhea and on the bad cases vomit. I don't know what to do. I have tried taking benadril thinking it was an allergy but doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions?  
Blank
363682_tn?1299492962
  I tried an allergy drug and, for a while, it seemed to help.  Not any more.  BUT, surprisingly, good old Advil currently knocks the headaches back altogether in my case.  However, as I also have started to get these headaches (from the back of my neck on the left side, over the top and ending up around the left eyebrow), have now started to examine the various thoughts on related pain trigger points as well (although the Advil still provides a temporary 'cure').  There is a trigger point called the 'trapezius' at the base of the neck on the affected side which, when massaged, certainly has an affect on the pain in my head.  Worth a look maybe? ( http://www.triggerpointbook.com/headache.htm )
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
Over the years I have tried switching brands.  That worked pretty good.  Now, any brand gives me a headache after only two beers.  Literally two beers.  
So, since I love beer, (especially with dinner), I down some vitamin B before drinking beer, and then a tylenol or two before going to bed.

Problem solved for me.
Blank
Avatar_m_tn
Don't ever take tylenol (acetaminophen) with alcohol.  This is extremely bad for your liver. Some people experience liver failure because of this.  The FDA was considering making acetaminophen available only prescription again because of this danger.  I wouldn't take it for a hangover either.
Blank
363682_tn?1299492962
We've got almost identical threads running under Headaches Community / Migraines.  It's been going on so long now without being resolved.  I really did think the experts looked at all these threads and then cut in themselves but apparently not.  I'm going to try another way of contacting someone on the site and ask them if they can read them all and pass an opinion.  It's too widespread to be just left to solve itself with various potions I think.  Will let you all know if / when I get an answer.
Blank
910419_tn?1289487327
Alcohol is a VERY common trigger of headaches and migraines for a number of reasons. A lot of times it's because of an amino acid called Tyramine, which increases in potency as food ages or ferments. As all alcohol is fermented, it's very high in tyramine.

Red wine is especially high in tyramine (and more likely to cause headaches or migraines) as red grapes by themselves are higher in tyramine than the green grapes that make up white wine.

As for beer, tyramine appears naturally in the yeast that gives beer half of its flavor. I believe (not 100% sure tho) that hops, the grain that goes into making beer, is also full of tyramine.

I'm not sure about all the hard liquors, but I know that a lot of them contain high levels of tyramine as well, again, because of fermentation.

If you have a sensitivity/allergy in which you get a headache or migraine from alcohol, I would recommend trying a low tyramine diet in general for a while. Tyramine is in almost all foods, but is high in foods that are pretty easy to avoid if necessary. If you keep yourself on a low tyramine diet, then the occasional alcoholic drink is less likely to effect you as much because you won't have as much of it in your system to react to.

Does that make sense?
Any questions?

~Dame
Blank
Avatar_m_tn
I have horrible headaches the next day if I drink even one beer after a certain time of night like 8pm.  I'm on day 2 of a screamer from a stout I had two nights ago.  I even took a vitamin before bed, something that usually helps.
The headache stretches aroudn to my neck, which feels tight.
I have looked all over the internet for a list of tyramine content in beer, nothing yet exists.  Red wine is horrible for me.  Love it, cant drink it.  This *****.  Any ideas appreciated.  I have tried EVERYTHING.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Allergy Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
Top Asthma & Allergy Answerers
168348_tn?1379360675
Blank
ChitChatNine
Avatar_f_tn
Blank
evewisewoman
Toronto, ON
746512_tn?1388811180
Blank
Tammy2009
Calgary, AB
363281_tn?1353103243
Blank
SassyLassie
Hanmer Springs, New Zealand
612551_tn?1247839157
Blank
Jerry_NJ
NJ