Allergy Community
Allergic to Blood Pressure Meds

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Allergic to Blood Pressure Meds

I've been going thru quite a time - turning up allergic to 5 BP meds as of today... scared to take next one prescribed!! I've been to an Allergist this past week for skin testing... but, does anyone else suffer from BP med allergies? I get itchy all over, cheeks swell, face puffs a bit and face and neck turns bright red...Help!

I would speak to my pharmacist and see if he/she had any suggestions. I hope you are taking Benadryl after you have these allergic reactions.

Also, you may consider working on what is increasing your blood pressure. Stress ? Diet ?

by the way...I had asked the pharmacists and they offered no help or advice. The allergist did say he wants to test the meds and see what they have in common. (ie:Dye, Filler) I was just curious if ANYONE else has gone thru this?
I was put on prednisone for 6 days after I went into shock from the first med. The 2nd thru 5th meds took anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks to rear its ugly head and make me have similar reactions that if left untreated would have put me back in the e/r.  I am a very highly stressed individual! Hence, the high BP. I run about 140/90 but, I am watching my BP now since off meds for that during allergy testing. I'm about 150/92 in the morning which is usually a higher reading time...I am very much against having to take ANY meds what-so-ever. I've always been that way...I cannot believe how much BP meds ravage your body when going off them (feels like it's ravaging anyway!) I flat out asked my doctor if the BP meds decreased my morbidity rate and was met with a blank stare. Asked if there was a 'healthy' or holistic way to treat high BP and again - met with a blank stare... I knew I should have gone into medicine!! dang it!!
I think my bodies so out of whack now - it's rejecting stuff just to spite me.

"Asked if there was a 'healthy' or holistic way to treat high BP and again - met with a blank stare."

I definitely can relate to your sentence and this is one of the reasons why when I had health issues, I visited my regular physician and a Naturopath physician. The Naturopath physician spent 1 full hour with me and in that one hour, taught me so much about why I was experiencing what I was.

As far as lowering your blood pressure... they say to cut the salt, limit your alcohol and caffeine intake, eliminate the bad saturated fats and exercise. If you smoke, consider quitting.

I don't drink or smoke. I have been to the allergist - still going thru testings... I started taking garlic (odorless) to keep my BP down until we can find out what is causing my allergic reactions. I was even allergic to "Singulaire" which has now left everyone puzzled!  I am only taking the garlic pills and a benedryl when needed. I'm still thinking it's a dye or additive but, I am having a hard time gathering info provided by the drug companies who manufacture the meds I turned up allerigc to... Next step is having a chemist take the acutal pills and dissecting them.. was hoping someone else would come on the forum and say "HEY! I'VE BEEN THRU THE SAME THING" and thus, give me the magic answer to what's causing my reactions! I was sooo overloaded and reacting from everything that they even had to do the sinus scope without any numbing agents - this is SO not fun!!

I was going to tell you about a great lab that tests for not only allergens, but chemicals as well. But looking at their website, they have temporarily shut down. (ELISA/ACT) They use your blood and mix it with the suspected allergens and see if your lymphocytes (white blood cells) respond, indicating that you are allergic. You may want to google and find their website (I'm not allowed to give URL's here) and call them. See if someone is still there and can refer you to another lab.

Good luck !
You are looking for an alternative which works without medicine.Have an open mind.
Breathing will definitely help you.You know so much about your body that you will feel the difference from day one and will be able to discuss how your body responds. Do the following breathing exercises known as Yoga Pranayam and let us know the effects. .

Bhastrika - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy)  via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose.Upto 5 minutes daily.

Anulom Vilom - Deep Breath-in through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
then  - Breath-out through right nostril keeping left nostril closed
then   -Deep Breath-in through right nostril keeping left nostril closed
then   - Breath-out through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
and repeat this cycle for 20 minutes twice a day.
Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 minutes twice a day. Not for pregnant women.
Tips : Breathe into lungs not into stomach.  Do not hurry. Do it slowly. Rest whenever needed (in any pranayam).Can be done in sitting position, standing or lying in bed(if bed-bound).Keep tissues handy, as a lot of mucous from lungs will be coming through the nose.Monitor blood results to see the improvement. Do the pranayam before eating.
Pranayam is about getting more oxygen into the lungs and sending it around the body via blood to aid in body repair. With extra oxygen more platelets and red blood cells are formed to build up the immune system.Extra fat is burned to reduce weight. All this happens naturally without side-effects.People with all types of ailments including incurable ones will benefit. This has been practised by sages, but has been simplified and brought to the masses.
If you write down all your symptoms you will be able to tick them off one by one as you continue the pranayam.

Good Bond will also probably work. And you don't need to mix it with water.

Send me some snow !!!!! I'll get off your hands... LOL!

I'm jealous... I want snow ! LOL ! But fortunately it is raining here (I'm a desert dweller... I'll take what I can get)

The reason why you are itching (in my opinion, but of course), is because you are still getting that medication out of your system. It seeps through your pores and since you are allergic, your skin itches or your skin is just dry. From what I've heard, good ol' baking soda can help with the itching.

okay...baking soda...um...mixed with water or in a bath??
or like - Gold Bond Medicated powder?

Thanks :) 8 inches of snow so far today...
this is 5 weekends in a row!!!
Gotta love Colorado!
((we are in the foothills))
ya know...it's kind of scary because now I am off everything and I still have an 'all over' itch. No one would be able to tell...it's not always 'visible' unless I stop the benedryl! I get some hives on my face, my upper arm starts to itch and then it progresses.  Someone mentioned it could take a while to get the BP meds out of my 'blood' and system. I've always been such a busy and athletic person but, this is keeping me down. Also, thanks for the breathing exercises - I will give it a go! I know I don't breathe like I should...I tend to hold my breath a lot... not sure why...I am aware of it...mostly because I grew up heavy into sports and always had to count my breathing ((like while jogging)) and of course, swimming...I used to do a 5 count breath in and 5 count breath out...I'm thinking I need to strap on the running shoes and get the count back!! I've slacked in that area!! Of course, looking out the window at all the SNOW! I'm thinking I'll need snowshoes!!!!!  thanks for ANY advice!! I appreciate it!!  Thanks! Deeds

It actually snowed here a little bit tonight !!! And there is a snow advisory until tomorrow afternoon.  Thank you! LOL!

Well everyone!!  Now the itching has stopped...I was almost ((almost)) feeling human again...until I broke out with tonsillitis (negetive strep) !!  It's horrible... I don't think I've had this in 15 years!!  If this goes away and the itching comes back...I'm not gonna be a happy camper!  I had a sinus scope 4 days before this 'infection'...I'm thinking - someones equipment may not have been too clean?? am I wrong here?? UGH!
I guess I'm not totally out of the 'woods' as I was still taking benedryl twice a day for the 'itch'...if it all comes back then ... back on the benedryl.  I will also be meeting with a biofeedback Ph.D. who will dissect the BP meds and see what ingredients I am 'reacting' to...sounds a little 'out there' for me but, I will give it a 'go'... anyone else have that testing?
Perhaps you are allergic to yellow#5.  It's a food color that is found in things such as Doritos, Cheetos,Thousand Island Dressing, Mello Yellow, Mountain Dew and some mixed drink mixes like Margarita.  
I've just discovered that many people are highly sensitive to this food color including myself.  I had to change meds because some of the pills had yellow#5 color added.
Check it out.  You will instantly feel better if this is the problem and it's eliminated from your diet.
Well, I go for food allergy testing Monday followed by "bio-meridian" testing of excipient ingredients in BP meds to see what is the cause of my allergic reactions!! I had been 'itch' free for the last 3-4 weeks (being off any and ALL medications) so, I thought I would try the last BP med given to me to try - that was said to be "the one I'd be least allergic too.." well...I took it Friday at 7am and ended up itching at 8am and still itching now (Sunday)... I am so upset, mad, depressed and ticked that this is going on....It's not to the point that I am having anaphalaxsis again but, it's VERY annoying!! I'm now 'overly' sensitive to certain things - like pledge spray!! I cleaned my office Thursday at work and sneezed the entire rest of the day - even with trying to open my door to let in outside air!!  HELP!
wow..we thought it was just mom....she has tried 3 kinds of bp meds and has reactions like, wildly fluctuation in bp extreme high,200/103, to lows like 110/55. or she'll have bad swelling in her ankles, rapid heart rate, nervousness, weakness, headache...doc says she's allergic,,doesn't know what causes the bp flucs...all within hours...HELP.  she's had echo and nuclear test on heart,,all ok...
I really did think ALL this time that my health was failing!! I'd have skipped heart beats, rapid heart beats and the doctors would scouff it off and say I must be stressed... I was so, I became MORE stressed thinking something was really wrong with me. What was wrong?? I AM ALLERGIC TO THE BP MEDS!!!!!!!!!!! All along!! for SO long!!  I have been OFF all BP meds for about a month now - I have NO anxiety, no skipped or rapid heart rate!!  It's UNREAL!!!!!  I also have a lot of what I thought was "seasonal" allergy responses subside!!  I'd get horrible ear pain!!! HORRIBLE! not an infection - just real PAIN! and the doctors back then STILL wouldn't listen to me!! It was my sister who mentioned an article on vertigo caused by Benicar (a BP med) that I found MY ANSWER!!!! I read the article and couldn't keep from crying when it mentioned the ear fullness, and pain!!
the long suffering on those meds lowered my vitamin and mineral counts in my body. I am on B12 and B vitamins along with minerals and feel SOOOOOO much better!!!  Granted, my BP is about 155/96 but, at least I feel better!!  Fill me in MORE about your Mom!! Best of Luck!
Diane
I am allergic/sensitive to EVERY BP medicine.
I am going to diet, and eat all high potassium, magnesium foods.
I am trying to wean off of 200 mg Metoprolol daily.
I am down to 75, with tinnitus caused by this med.
I cannot live with this tinnitus, would rather have a quality life, albeit shorter.
I shall just have to risk having BP , nothing else I can do.
My internist was a pharmacist, so he knows the meds, and my reactions.
Would love to talk more about this.
I have tried BP meds twice now in a period of four or so years....Cozar, namely since my Dr. says they have the least side effects.....after I cant stand the side effects maybe two or three months into taking, I quit....and then have about three months of horrible after effects, namely anxiety, ear problems, head pressure etc., I am now going to go the holistic route and see what if anything I can do to get back to normal. and of course my blood pressure went up when I quit the meds. Im with the thought.....give it up.....
I found your post about lung breathing verses belly breathing interesting. My last therepist was teaching me to belly breathe and it felt wierd, and sometimes made me feel worse and more hypertensive. What's the yoga explanation for the breathing in the chest and not the belly?
Please ask your doctor if your BP meds have a diuretic combination.  You are most likely allergic to the diuretic.  Have them give you meds without it and it should clear up in a week (itch)  Also remember to talk to your doctor about getting back on a diuretic (potassium sparring) and see if that helps.  You may ask about taking them separtely due to the fact you need it to flush the sodium that raises your BP.  Hope this helps and good luck.
Yes, I am allergic to all BP meds but one.  I am also allergic to pain meds and some other things.  Don't know why.  But I have a variety of reactions to all of these things.  Don't stop taking your BP meds.  I stopped and I almost ended up in the hospital with extremely high BP.  I can't find any BP meds that work and I was just to the doctor again today. Not good! He wants to send me to a specialist for a kidney test.  So make sure you let your doctor know. Oh, sometimes it is more than stress that causes High BP.  Listen to your body!    Good Luck! If you find something that works, let me know!!!
Yes, I am going through the same thing now! I have just finished my 4th BP Med and have had the same allergic reaction with all 4. My eye lids and under my eyes turn bright red (as if they have been burned) then peel. My lips are doing the same and I swell in the same areas that look burned and peel. Why are we doing this!
Hi, I am new to this site and found it by accident. I too am experiencing awful allergic reactions to foods, meds ...etc. No one can seem to target the problem. Blood work turns up nothing and Benadryl is my best friend these days. BP very high, was on the following BP meds:
Metoprolol-years then taken off because I experienced side effects and BP was way up
Bystolic 5mg - felt better for a little while then mad allergic reaction
Avapro-2 wks ago....nightmare, taken off
Micardis-last week...once again nightmare, taken off
Amlidopine-4 days ago..tremors, chest pounding uncontrollably
Atenolol-as of today...dye free
need help too, the swelling of the face and tongue along with the bumps are just too much to take anymore. Has anyone made any headway with their allergies/symptoms?
I found our about 5 months ago I am also allergic to my blood-pressure meds.  I developed this terrible rash on my legs along with sever swelling of my ankles and feet.  I am a cancer survior and along with the chemo comes a decress in your immune system.  I developed a rash not long after the chemo and found it was called granuloma annulara.  That was 10 years ago.  I thought I had the same rash again, but this time it was different because of the swelling.  I went to my dermatologist and was put on meds for the rash as before but they didn't work.  She then did a biopsy and found I had a drug reaction.  The only meds I take are Benicar HCT and potassium.  I immediately went of the Benicar and started taking a variety of other BP meds.  At first they though I was allergic to the  HCT, but then realized it was the Benicar.  I am now on Bystolic, but still have the rash.  I also take 80mg of Lasix per day.  I still have the rash... but was told by the dermatologist it may take up to 6 months for the meds to get out of my system.  Has anyone else had anything like this happen?  I scratch my legs until they bleed sometimes... I need help!!!
I have been put on 7 different bp meds in the last 3 months. After 48 hrs. on each med I have head pain (like I was hit on the top of the head w/ a hammer) burning head, buzzing nerves in head ,sometimes go down into my face. popping sounds in my head from nerves going crazy.
My Cardiologist wants me in this month to try another..can't go through that again!! I am done!! I spent many days going to the ER from the side affects.
I have developed a case of HIGH anxiety from all this!
Has anyone else experianced these symptoms?
i have been going to dermatoligist for 2 years and still cant find the right bp tablet to take the only thing that stopped my itching was  predosline tablets for asthma but of course you cant stay on them for too long trying Norvask now but its not working iether
Just some info from my BP medication rash and hives reactions. I was on Lostartan, HCT (then Lasix) Amlopidine, Clonidine, also Glyburide for Diabetes (type 2) and daily baby aspirin. Had severe allergic reactions to all of them at different times in 2 short months. These all were medications I have taken close to 3 years. The common connection to most if not all is Sulfa which is  distant chemical connection to all of these drugs. I just happen to be highly allergic to Sulfa and Penicillin drugs. Just finished Predisone along with Ativan to calm my system down. I see the one and only allergist in my area in less than 2 weeks.
Thank you for your original post.  All of the comments have helped me.  I'm on my 3rd BP meds.  My reactions haven't been severe, but they have been annoying.  I had a cough for 6 months on Losartan.  I found out that it is a sulfa drug and I've had a reaction to sulfa in the past.  I'm on Amlodine now and have had a severe sore throat since I've been taking it.  I wouldn't have thought my doctor would put me on another sulfa drug.  
I to have same reactions. I could scratch my skin off. Im on my 3rd med in past month. I only start w/one half tab with 2 benyridls. This Metoprolol is worse then other 2, lips, throat, etc swell, hot sweats, per all the post im not alone w/BP med allergies. I think its time my Dr. Treats the cause not the symptom. Im 73 yr,  118 lbs.. going to try and find herbs that might work. From GramsG
Well it's been another year going to dermatologist and still no answer to my itching I'm on 4 antihistamine a day with no change is it safe to go off bp tablets thinking of doing that now
I too is experiencing the same, So far I have tried Atenolol, Benazepril, Amplodipine, Metoprolol, Losartan, Hydroclorothizide with allergic reactions. From swelling, burning feeling, hives and blisters on my face, wheezing, got burning feeling in my tongue too just like being scalded. My doctor told me to stop all BP meds and just do exercise and salt-free diet  but my BP shot up without the meds,  felt dizzy and wobbly. I take Allegra for the allergy during the day and Benadryl at night. It took a month and a half for my allergy sympton to clear, the hives and swelling and burning feeling. Because of this I am stressed out and anxious, adding to the high blood pressure. Any solution to this problem anyone? Please share!
I've had the rash and swelling in the feet and ankles too and I have been diagnosed as allergic to HCTZ, lasix, amlodipine, losartan, verapamil, hydralazine . . . the list is growing all the time.  Most of the allergies seem to be related to sulfa.  Do you have an allergy to sulfa?