Allergy Community
Allergic to PENiCILLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

im allergic to penicillin it happened about 2 years ago when i have a very wild and negative reaction to the medication i was on.  it made my entire skin peel off and i did soemthign very clsoe to the way a reptile would mould its skin.

now i cant take anti biotics like augumentin for a long time without my skin beginning to react to it. i instead have to take another anti biotics but i forgot the name of it.

my question is i heard the allergies to penicillin can be triggered by certain foods so id like to know which foods. i cant find it on the internet.

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi troubledteenager,

How are you? Penicillin allergy occurs when your immune system responds to the drug as if it were a harmful substance instead of a helpful antibiotic. Your immune system creates antibodies to attack the medication. Chemicals released by your immune cells can cause the signs and symptoms associated with an allergic reaction. You can develop penicillin allergy once you've been exposed to the drug. After that, re-exposure to penicillin or related antibiotics can trigger an allergic reaction. Common allergic reactions to penicillin include rashes, hives, itchy eyes, and swollen lips, tongue, or face. A skin test is the best way to find out whether you have a penicillin allergy.

In rare cases, an allergy to penicillin can cause an anaphylactic reaction, which can be deadly. Symptoms include difficulty breathing, hives, wheezing, dizziness, loss of consciousness, rapid or weak pulse, skin turning blue, diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting. If you experience some of the symptoms, you should go to the hospital right away.

Food allergy, on the other hand, is the ability of a given individual to form antibodies, against something as benign as food. It is usually an inherited predisposition. Just like penicillin, an exposure to a certain food will trigger antibody production. And re-exposure to the food will lead to the following symptoms: asthma, hives, vomiting, diarrhea, and swelling around the mouth. The most common food that cause allergies are the following: milk, shellfish, nuts and wheat. are among the most common foods that cause allergies. An allergic reaction usually occurs within minutes of eating the offending food.

A person can have just allergy to medications with or without the allergy to food. If your doctor determines that you're allergic to penicillin, it's a good idea to wear a medical alert bracelet that describes your allergy. And if you are also allergic to food, its best that you avoid them all together.

You can learn more about this through  this link: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/penicillin-allergy/DS00620/DSECTION=1

I hope this helps. Keep me posted.Take care and regards.