Allergy Community
Allergic to Tylenol

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Allergic to Tylenol

I have been taking over-the-counter Extra StrengthTylenol for the past two days for headaches and have been breaking out in a itchy rash on my neck and chest and would spread after I take it.  Can this be an allergic reaction?  

Cassie

Definitely this is an allergic reaction to the medicine.These itchy welts are called hives.Pls stop taking the medicine at once and take some antihistaminics like Benadryl or Claritin. Short courses of oral cortisone or steroids are taken for short periods (one to three days) to settle more severe symptoms.
You may take Vitamin C along with the prescribed treatment. Vitamin C is a general anti-allergy supplement.Also apply calamine lotion on the itchy areas.

If the symptoms persist, then you can get it evaluated from a dermatologist.Immunotherapy may be tried.Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted.

Thank you for replying.  Can also taking Advil and Tylenol together cause a rash?  I have taken them together a couple times and I did break out in a rash.  But I know I am not allergic to the advil because I have been taking that alone without the tylenol and didn't break out in a rash.  It is only the tylenol that I take by itself that I break out in a rash.

Cassie

If there is  no breakout of a rash when you take Advil(ibuprofen),then it means that you are not allergic to it.But as you are having hives after taking Tylenol. So it looks like you are allergic to it.So pls stop taking it.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted.