Allergy Community
Allergic to WATER??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Allergic to WATER??

Hello. I am 19 years old and I think I am allergic to water.  It sounds crazy, and it truly is.  When I take a shower I usually have my water warm, and by the end of my shower I am covered in itchy hives.  It happens no matter where I take a shower.  I get them manly on my back, neck, and chest.  I do not just get hives in the shower...I get them when I go swimming!! It seems to me that the hotter the water, the faster they occur.  I get them when I sweat, and my cheeks burn when I cry. Am I seriously allergic to water???
From your symptoms.it sounds like water or aquagenic urticaria.

It is a rare condition in which hives develop within 1 to 15 minutes after contact with water. The hives last for 10 to 120 minutes and do not seem to be caused by histamine release like the other physical hives. Most investigators believe that this condition is actually exquisite skin sensitivity to additives in the water such as chlorine but distilled water can also cause this reaction.

Water urticaria is diagnosed by applying tap water and distilled water to the skin and observing the reaction. Contact dermatitis can be diagnosed from your symptoms and physical examination. Blood tests and x-rays are not helpful.

Treatment of water urticaria includes epinephrine, antihistamines, or cortisone-like drugs. Itching can be controlled with cold packs or commercial topical agents that contain menthol, camphor, eucalyptus oil, aloe, antihistamines, or cortisone preparations.Pls consult an allergist for that.
Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing.

its a good chance that you have hot water urticaria. the way to find out if it is the full aquagenic urticaria, is a. see a specialist, and b. try having a cold shower (i did that and found out it was infact all water i was allergic to). sorry to hear you may have this :( its not the funnest condition i hope this helps :)
I have this and non of what she say's works, I have to take allergy pills for the rest of my life because mine is so bad. I go into shock if I don't take anyting. I can't even drink it  but I do buy Poland springs and that helps. don't hear her out with the BS, buy an allergy pill and wait 25 min before your shower and then you'll see no more painful systems.