Allergy Community
Allergic to Wellbutrin?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Allergic to Wellbutrin?

Hello!  I started taking BuproprionXL150 (generic for Wellbutrin) about three weeks ago, and I'm not sure if my current symptoms have anything to do with it or not.

A couple of days ago, I noticed that the skin on my neck under my chin felt bumpy.  There was no itch, so I ignored it.  Yesterday, at work, I felt a little light-headed and tired and had to sit down for a few minutes.  I thought I must be getting sick with the flu or something.

Well, yesterday afternoon, the bottom of my right foot started itching terribly.  I couldn't scratch the itch fast enough, because it always came back.  Then, it stopped.  A few hours later, my right shoulder itched.  I kept scratching, and I noticed that it was swelling and welts were forming where I was scratching (I wasn't breaking the skin... not scratching that hard). It also stopped.  I just thought that maybe I had a bug bite.  Well, I woke up at 3 a.m. with severe itching and redness on the left side of my chest.  It was so bad that I couldn't go back to sleep.  Then, both of my hands started itching and my thumbs were red.  My lips were also tingling at this point, and my eyes were itchy.

I thought that I might be having an allergic reaction to the buproprion, since I haven't come into contact with anything that would cause this itching... and the itching is so random.  There is no rash. I'm just getting red spots.  I took a benadryl today, and the itching has gotten better.  My scalp itches, and random places (chest, neck, arm) itch occasionally.  But now, I'm having muscle pain in my arms. If I lift my arms to point at something or clap my hands, they feel tired, as if I've held them up for a long time or worked out.

I'm starting to get a little worried, because I don't know if this is some type of allergic reaction, or if it's some kind of other weirdness going on.  

I've called the doctor and left a message, but haven't heard back yet.

Any ideas?
Hi, welcome to the forum, symptoms are suggestive of drug allergy to wellbutrin and are mediated by release of histamine in the body. Your body is known to hypersensitive to it.  

The spectrum of these reactions can vary widely; reactions may present as typical allergic symptoms (eg, itching, urticaria, rash, edema) after a single dose, or may manifest as severe idiosyncratic dermatologic reaction.

If drug allergy is suspected you need to discontinue the drug and report to your doctor immediately. Even other causes like allergic dermatitis should be ruled out. Treatment includes anti histaminic and glucocorticoids against prescription. I suggest you to consult a skin specialist. Take care and regards.