Allergy Community
Allergic to alcohol?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Allergic to alcohol?

Not sure if I'm in the right place but here's my issue/ question: I'm not a heavy drinker. I usually only drink at social events. I'm a 30 yr old Hispanic female and I've been drinking for quite some time now so I'm not an inexperienced drinker. I've noticed that the day after I have a few drinks, my neck and chest get this itchy, burning sensation that lasts a couple of days. It first happened to me when I was about 25, and would only occur if I drank a certain type of liquor. Now it happens no matter what I drink. I don't get any red bumps, but I just feel like my skin in the neck and chest area have this tingling, burning and itching that just makes me want to rip my skin off because it's so annoying. Please help
Sorry I can't offer any "fix", but I read if you don't drink alcoholic beverages you don't have the troubles... simple don't drink lots of people are involved socially and don't consume alcohol, could be hard to do,, but I read you have a good motivator.
I have a similar problem. when I drink certain alcohol i swell up and get rashes. I was told I'm allergic to the sulfates in the alcohol . I can drink Rum. It doesn't have sulfates in it. You just have to read the bottle, Hope this helps you.
Thank you for your response. As I mentioned before, I'm not a heavy drinker. I know I don't need it when I'm at any social event, but there are times when Id like to try something new, and I do emjoy the taste of the drink. I think I'll go to an allergy specialist to see if they can provide me with clearer answers. In the meantime, I'll stick to water =)
Thanks for your response. I think the only thing that doesn't cause a reaction is wine (for me). But moslty everything else gives me the same reaction. I may just go to a specialist and just hope they can give me some answers =)