Allergic to bra
I recently bought a Victoria Secret padded demi bra.  I am also dieting so when my top began to itch I originally associated it with the fact that everything was shrinking.  I spoke with my sister and she told me that she had the same reaction to thier bras.  Is it possible that I am allergic the bra?  The entire breast itches not just the area around the band....what ingredient in the padding would cause this reaction?  I was curious since it seems that several brand are copying their materials.  
You could try washing the bra in Cheer Allergy Free Detergent and see if that helps?

Walgreens also makes and sells a perfume/dye free detergent.

Good luck !
I have experienced a reaction between my breast implant (cancer) and padded bra which  I wear.  Soooo, seems to me you may be right.
I've noticed the same thing with one of my Victoria's Secret bras. For some reason the fabric they made it with was just really itchy. It drove me nuts... I buy a lot of bras and only buy them from Victoria's Secret and only this one made me itch. You could always try a different one and try it on in the store to make sure it's not itchy.

Another suggestion is if you haven't washed it yet try that, because most new clothes/fabrics have chemicals or starches or whatever on them when they are brand new.
I too have had an allergic reation a Victoria's Secret bra (Body By Victoria Demi) .  I only seem to be allergic to the cups.  I recently tried a Vanity Fare bra in a very similar style and the same thing happened.  I always wash my bras prior to wearing and still have a problem.  I wish rthese companies would really list ++ALL++ the ingredients in their clothing, as I am very allergic to latex. I'm tired of having to go on Prenezone.  Does anyone have a suggestion???  I wore the same style of Victorias Secret bra for 4 years without a problem, they have to have changed something.
i get that to sometimes to either get a different one of try a non alergenic washing solution. or if u have never washed it maybe it was something in the store that touched it and your getting a reaction from it?
It is very odd.  I have never had allergies, and have worn VS bras for years.  I also developed rashes from the new line of "Secret Embrace" bras (Angels).  I returned them just last week and they were kind enough to exchange them for the new Biofit and the Body by Victoria.  They do not itch at all when trying on.  The rash appears the next day after wearing.  Body by Victoria gave me a rash, though not at pronounced as the Secret Embrace fabric.  Biofit has not given me a rash.  Both claim to be composed of nylon and Spandex.  It is a mystery.  I am soaking them as we speak to see if it could be some kind of chemical.  I had washed the Secret Embrace bras but that did not help.  I hope is it is chemical.  If it were latex allergy, I think I would have rash from my underpants as well.  I do not.  I wonder if it is specific to VS bras?
I too, have never had allergies and have worn VS Body body bras for years.  Recently, I purchased both the Secret Embrace and the newer style Body Ipex bras.  I had such bad reactions (red, blotchy, hive type rash especially where the underwire touches - that itch like heck!).  Even after not wearing them for days, the rash didn't go away and actually seemed to gete worse!   I finally went to my MD and he has me taking Prednisone.  Such disappointment!  I loved these bras.  Guess I'll have to go back to the ugly cotton/type bras.  Too bad I can't take these back to VS.
The same thing happened to me. It started with a Wonderbra- one I have owned and used for at least a year. I developed a red hive like rash after wearing it. I attributed this reaction to a mamogram that I had the day before. I laundered the bra and used a different style for a week or so and when I went back to the wonderbra the same thing happened. I threw the bra away and went to Victoria secret and bought a new one. I don't remember the style but it had foamy padding in it like the wonder bra. The same thing happened- I returned it the next day! I wonder if there is some way that the foam padding could be responsibe even though t doesn't touch the skin directly. I think this could be true because the bra that I bought was lined in the same material as the straps and the straps did not cause a reaction- only the cups!!!  
OMG - Same thing happened to me! I bought two VS IPEX bras (NOT CHEAP) and broke out in a rash (cups only) so bad I had to be on prednisone too!  This is an outrage.  VS needs to know what their bras are doing to women. I'm hoping my breasts do not scar from it. It's NASTY!  And you absolutely CAN and SHOULD return them to VS.  I am!

I bought a VS Ipex bra and I broke out in a red blotchy rash, where my bra strap is it is raised of f my skin just a lil and only in one spot. I'm totally freaked out by it. It looked like it was going away so then I put on a VS bra the was padded I think it was the secret embrace and now the rash is back again. These bras aren't cheap so I'm pretty annoyed at the fact that I paid so much for them and I keep breakin out in a rash no matter what style I wear.
Update:  Rash finally went away.  I haven't worn any VS bras since.  Other manufacturers bras are fine (had to go buy all new ones!).  I contacted VS and they asked that I return the suspect bra for evaluation.  Although it's been a few weeks, I haven't heard anything yet.  They did offer me a $25 gift card.  But then I received a "Release and Settlement of Claim" form which they wanted me to sign.  NOT!  I didn't realize they wanted me to sign such a form when I agreed that the gift card was a nice gesture.  After paying $90 for the doctors visit, prescription fees and time off of work, I don't think I should sign anything yet.  The rash took about two weeks to completely clear (after taking the Prednisone regime).  I heard VS started sending their work to China - I wonder ..........
Thanks for the update.. I too have doctors bills and prescription fees, due to VS bras.  Do you have the number and/or address to VS?  What bra did you buy in place of VS?  I'm still looking and I'm very nervous about another reaction to even another brand.
I am so glad to see that I am not alone in this.  I have contacted VS secret corporate to demand they take the bras back.  They sent an email promising to have someone call me.  I am still waiting weeks later.  I plan to call next week.  

I too had an awful itchy red splotchy rash from the Secret Embrace bras.  Actually, I have not worn them for over 2 weeks and I am still peeling everywhere the bra touched my skin (straps, back, breasts) - it is like the aftermath of a serious sunburn.   The itching was so bad that I had trouble sleeping at night for days.  I have never had an allergic skin reaction before.  

I finally went to the dermatologist a week ago.  She prescribed a cream, Cloderm, and it seems to be helping.  She said that a lot of chemicals, including formaldahyde, are used to shape and form these bras and that they can trigger bad reactions.  

I plan to insist that VS return the full retail cost to me - either by cash or a merchandise credit (for pajamas - I will never wear their bras again).  I won't sign any release. I would suggest anyone else likewise afflicted do the same.  I am actually an attorney so I could be a real pain in the neck to them if they don't play by the rules, treating the customer as they should.  

Has everyone's rash cleared up completely?  I am really freaked out that I am still peeling.  
My rash(es) did clear up eventually.  There is no scarring, which I was concerned about.  I took the bras back to the store and they were willing to exchange them.  I did not ask for return as I have always worn VS.  I tried 2 other styles--Body by Victoria and Biofit.  The Biofit are fine.  The BBV  caused a rash.  I exchanged them in March for Biofits and was told that starting April 1, VS would no longer allow returns/exchanges on worn bras after 30 days.  

Interestingly enough, I received an email from a rep of this website asking if I would be willing to be interviewed by a TV station in Cleveland--an investigative reporter is doing a story on this issue.  It is scheduled to air May 21.  You can view it on their website--WOIO in Cleveland--under investigative reporter.  The reporter told me she is interviewing a couple other women on this issue.  It will be interesting to see the outcome.  

Of note, I was pleasantly surprised the local VS store was willing to exchange the bras.  I took photos of the rash because it was so pronounced and I was ready to take it to the next level if they gave me a hard time.  I also went to a dermatologist and he biopsied it.  Results were  indicative of a virus.  The more I think about it the more I wonder what the heck this is all about.  Stay tuned.
I was also contacted by the investigative reporter in Cleveland and have subsequently been interviewed.  I also heard back from VS regarding the bra I returned.  They state I should "stay away from the bras that bother me".  That's ALL they said!  They also asked that I sign the Release and Settlement of Claim form (which I will not do) in order to receive a $50 gift card.  They originally offered me $25 and now it's up to $50.  I won't respond to them until after the television report airs.  Maybe we'll learn more once more people get involved.  

I need to find out the cause of this horrible rash.  It's bad enough I needed to pay medical expenses, purchase new bras to replace the three suspect ones I bought from VS, and lose many nights sleep because of the itch and burning.  I still have two more bras I believe caused the rash - one is a new style Body by Victoria and the other is Angels Secret Embrace -both made in China.

I no longer have the rash and all the peeling is over.  I don't believe this would have cleared up without medical intervention.....even though I stopped wearing the bra once I saw the rash, it continued to spread and get worse.  This is quite the mystery.  
I had the same reaction to the VS ipex months age and thought it was detergent or something-I never wore the bra again. Then I recently bought 2 maidenform bras- one padded and one not. The padded one caused the same intensely itchy, burning rash as the ipex, I am still recovering a week later. The nonpadded one did not cause a reaction. I am a doctor and believe this to be contact dermatitis. However, I don't know what the inciting agent is. All I know is the reaction was severe and this should not go on - eventually someone will have a severe reaction.
I went to VS for the first time and bought the IPEX bra. It was for my bday, I have always wanted to go but just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for a bra. Well I done it and I was very disappointed. The first week I started itching really bad, even after washing. I broke out in hives and itches until there was near blood. Sounds gross, but I had a reaction to SOMETHING in th bra.

I called the store and spoke to someone, and she was very rude. She informed me I could bring the bra back, but she would have to mark it as damage and give me only store credit. I told her she NEEDED to mark it as damage because I reacted to something in it, and I was polite in saying I did not want a refund, but rather an exchange. She also informed me that she wore IPEX all the time, and she found it strange that I was telling her I had a reaction to it, because she has yet to hear of it.

I have not worn the bra in over a week, and after going through a tube of Benedryl cream, the itching has nearly stopped (thank goodness). I took the bra back, and looked despretley for another. One associate walked off and stopped helping me because she didn't understand what I was saying. Another associate finally helped me find another bra. Since nearly all the bras were made of the same material of the IPEX, I didn't want to chance it so I bought regular cotten. We'll see how well it works.
I just watched the news story on the Victoria's Secret bra.  I did not realize this was my problem until I saw this report.  I have been wearing Victoria Secret bras since I can remember.  Over a year ago I noticed a very itchy rash as well.  I thought maybe it was my gaining weight and being to warm.  I went to the dermatologist this past summer and then again to my regular doctor in March. Nothing either one of them has offered has helped clear it up.  Neither they nor I considered it could be an allergic reaction to the bra.  The only non Victoria Secret bras that I own are sports bras.  Other than going out to buy new bras (which I plan to do tomorrow), what is working to get rid of the rash?  I have tried Cortizone, Benydryl, Tea Tree Oil (this has helped the most with the itching), allergy medicine, a prescription cream that my doctor had ordered, etc.

JZ957
I cant believe it, I have been suffering with this itching for the longest time and never put 2 and 2 together.  I used lotion at night, aloe creme thinking God knows what......why are my (breast) soo itchy!!!!   I always cut tags but I checked one of my VS bras and it said "made in china" so that is it, Bingo, finally hearing this on the news explains why I been itching so bad, actually going crazy at work with this., especially on the side where I had radiation years ago from breast cancer.
thank you Action 19 for aiiring this last night........sign me
finally relieved in Cleveland
Ladies;

I am Gail Strickler, Associate Director of the Institute for Textile and Apparel Product Safety (ITAPS) at Philadelphia University www.****.us . At ITAPS we are conducting a research project looking at the potential toxicity of a wide range of chemicals that are applied to textile and apparel products.

On this blog site I have noted that many of you have reported rashes and other dermatological problems associated with bras you have purchased.   With a view toward gaining a better understanding and identifying specific problems associated with these items, I would ask that you to send us, via e-mail, information that would identify and classify the product.  

Please provide us with the Brand Name, the RN#, or possibly the ID#, the country where the product was made; this should all be on the labels in the bra.  Also, if you can remember, where and when you purchased the item.

Finally, we are requesting that you do not send any clothing materials.  All we need is the identification information.  

We will then purchase samples and conduct our formal laboratory analyses to determine what, if any, potential toxic chemicals or allergens are present.  

We would be happy to send you the findings when the study is completed.

Please send the information to me, via IM through MedHelp. Just place your cursor over my nickname above and then click on Send Message.

We look forward to hearing from you,

Gail
How about we take photos of our rashes.Stand in front of VS stores and show thier customers what they are in for.And how,and what VS is doing for our problems?That would be a wakeup call
I took the bras back to my local VS store (not the same one I bought from).  I told them that the bras gave me a horrible, itchy rash and that I had been to a dermatologist who believed that it was caused by a chemical used to form the bras (maybe formeldehyde).  I further told them that I called corporate about it and corporate told me to take them back to any retail store for merchandise credit.  The sales associates were all very very nice about it.  I decided to get pajamas with my credit and then, after talking to the manager, decided to try the biofit bra which has a different fabric and form content.  I am happy to say that the rash did totally clear up - the solution was a week or so of Cloderm cream (prescription steroid cream) and wearing a bra as infrequently as possible, followed by weeks of heavy cream (Palmers cocoa butter).  The Biofit has not caused a rash and I have worn it a few times.  

When I initially called the corporate number on the VS website, I was told that the website and the retail stores are totally different companies.  I was then given the corporate number.  I called them and talked to an indifferent man who told me that i should take the bras back to the store and tell them about the rash, that they would certainly return them for credit.  That is just what I did.  I would suggest the rest of you do the same -- if the salespeople do not do just that, ask for the manager.  If the manager does not honor this - ask that he/she call the district manager right then and there - you talk to them on the phone there if necessary.  If they fail to do the right thing, ask for their supervisor's number and so on.  I am glad that I didn't have to go there at all - but I would have.  Even though you have been caused great discomfort over this - remember, it is not the salesperson's fault or the manager's.  

Finally, I would still not sign any release or waiver.  If I turn up with some weird issue in the future related to this, I would like my rights preserved.  
When and where did you see the news report?  I was told by the person who interviewed me (in Ohio) that it would not air until May 21.  Has there been another report?

My dermatologist told me there was nothing that would "cure" the rash.  As I mentioned, he did biopsy the rash and found it to be some sort of virus.  It goes away, but takes a week or two.

I  found the Biofit to be fine.  It is the only new style that has not caused the rash.  In summary, I have tried two styles of Body by Victoria, Angels secret embrace and Infinity Edge  One of the two style of Body by Victoria was made in Sri Lanka, all the rest were made in China.  Biofit is also made in China.  

Does anyone know how to get ahold of Gail at ITAPS?  Her email address did not come across.  
the news reports were on Action 19, cleveland , aired  twice, two days apart!
last week actually, I forget the days to be exact.
I was  called at work by one of the news investigators to interview, but I was working too many hours to fit it in.  Im sure you could look them up on line and see the interviews?  They had a huge response!
im glad you got the problem taken care of, my itch seems to have subsided, but you can bet ANY China Bra is out for me, No damn way i will ever put anything on my body made in China again if i can help it.......
the email address for Gail was blocked out for me also, sorry.........
The news broadcast can be viewed on the web.  Go to this link:

http://www.19actionnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=8165067

It's a great story!

Vicki
Wow, I had no idea. I just watched the broadcast and now I'm so glad I switched from Victoria's Secret bras a few years ago. Very cool video.
Dear Friends,

First and foremost, thank you to all the MedHelp members who participated in the CBS-TV news story about allergic reactions to certain Victoria's Secret bras!  

For those who missed the story, here is a link to their website.  Once there, click on "WATCH IT HERE:  BAD BRAS: A Consumer Alert"

http://www.19actionnews.com/Global/story.asp?s=8165067  

If you are having an allergic reaction to Victoria's Secret Bras, please call the company at:  800-945-5088       .

To find other MedHelp members who have posted messages about allergic reactions to the bras, type VICTORIAS SECRET ALLERGIC in the search box at the top right side of this page.

MedHelp

Wow, I'm so glad I'm not the only one out there who has had this problem as well.  Only thing, my bra is not Victoria Secret, but it is Maidenform.  It looks like the same material as the VS bras that we are all having problems with.  The Maidenform bra I have is the One Fabulous Fit® The Smooth Bra®, style #7339.  Has anyone else had a reaction to this bra?

My reaction was just where the cups hit the skin.  I went to the dermotologist and got a prescription cream (for $30!) and that seemed to help soothe the itching.  But I definitely can't wear this bra anymore.  

I have not tried to contact Maidenform yet, but I think I will now!
Laurie
Thanks.
Oh my gosh! I am soooooo releaved that I am not the only one! Thankfully my rash wasn't bad enough to scar, but it was still annoying and EMBARISSING! I bought two Very Sexy bras from Victoria's Secret about a month ago and broke out imediately! I then emailed the company about my situation and they gave me an adress to ship my bras to so they could give me in store credit. I ended up getting a $90 gift card for my two bras. I then decided to try the new Dream Angles bra. I BROKE OUT EVEN WORSE! Thankfully my biofit bra does not break me out though. It sucks soooo much! They are such cute comfy bras and they break us out! I really hope Victoria's Secret gets to the bottom of this and takes care of the situation because a $50 bra should be TOP of the line.
I have noticed for the last year that my Ipex and Very Sexy bras have caused me an annnoying constant itch so I stopped wearing them.  I own 8 bras made in China.  4 of them are the "Very Sexy" line and 4 are the "Body by Victoria." I have about 25 bras, ALL from Victoria Secret.  I have been fortunate not to break out into a rash, but the itch is constant.  The itching, for me, is usually across my back and all over my breasts.  

All my other Victoria Secret bras were made in Indoneisia, SRI Lanika (never heard of it), the Philippines, and the Domenican Republic, but I'm at the point now that I may stop purchasing Victoria Secret.  I have loved their products and only used their lingerie for the last 10 years.  I've purchased all types of their clothing and spent thousands as one of their loyal customers.  Now I'm fearful of a "future" problem because I've used their products for so long.

Does anyone know if they are having a recall?  What can I do?
Oh my gosh! I am so glad to know that I am not alone.  I own several Victoria Secret bras.  I would be embarassed to show my breast to anyone.  I have a lot of scars around my cup area.  My breast would itch when I wore the bras.  Then, sometimes I would take the bra off only to find these huge red bumps that would leak white stuff and bleed.  The bumps were VERY painful!  
Glad to find this forum!  I have never had a skin allergy before, but since I got my two newest Victoria's Secret bras, I've had an itchy rash.  It took me a while to figure out that it must be the new bras, then I did a Google search and here I found all of you!  I have owned Ipex, VS Cotton, some of the newer Body by Victoria, and Very Sexy, and never had a problem with any of them.  It was the brand new Dream Angels demi "memory foam" one that did it to me.  Made in China . . . although I think some of the others that DIDN'T bother me were made there too . . . I also had a milder case than some of you were describing, but still an itchy rash nonetheless.  It really stinks because these newest bras fit me so well!!!  I'm a DD so I have trouble finding bras that fit (they don't offer DD in every style, at least not in the store) and even when I do find ones that fit, they usually have those tiny little straps that cut into your shoulders.  The Dream Angels didn't bother my shoulders, but gave me a rash.  A girl just can't win!!!
I will try to take the offending bras back this week.  Hope they don't give me any trouble.
I am so glad to have found this forum!  (Although, the suffering we are all going thru would not be sished upon our worst enemy)  I recently purchased a Wonderbra from Avon and am sitting here right now about to lose my mind over this horrible rash.  I have hives all over my body.  It started out primarily where my bra touched my skin, but has now spread up my neck, all over my back and down my legs.  I could not believe it could be the bra, but I wondered if it had been made in China.  I can't really say that I'm suprised that it is indeed made in china.  When I picked it up to read the tag, my hands broke out just from that little contact.  I am deeply concerned about the developments regarding products made in China.  I am anxious to see the news report on action19.  I'm sure more women like us are out there and more will come forward once they realize they are not alone.  With companies continuing to contract with countries who are not as careful, I expect this will reach near epidemic preportion.  I'm not opposed to importing products, but those products need to meet safety and health standards.
After the first airing on TV regarding the allergic reaction people were getting from the Victoria Secret bras, I quit wearing all of my Victoria Secret bras.  Fortunately I had a couple of older (like 10 years older) Vanity Fair bras.  During the week after I stopped wearing any VS bras, I continued to use tea tree oil and then I went back to my doctor a week later.  The rash and red welts had almost disappeared by the time I saw her.  She  did not want to put me on the prednisone that several of you had been prescribed and said to use over the counter cortizone cream.  The rash and welts are gone.  What I have now is discoloration of the skin where the rash had been.  Has anyone else experienced this side affect?  If so, does it go away?
I would advise Everyone who has recently posted to please email or call Action 19 News station.   VS is still selling these bra's that are made in China and even if you dont have the welts and rashes, the Horrible Horrible itching some of you describe is enough to drive you crazy.   Bottom Line is, these should Not be on the shelf.  Just think of how many women do Not know about this and are literally going crazy as we speak, either at home or shopping or at work, itching like crazy and not knowing why?   I am so grateful to have found out, as I was one of those "in the dark" so to speak, and didnt know why I was itching like crazy.   I will Never put any clothing on my body again that is made in China, the itching has subsided, but not completly gone.
Thank you.........
I have worn Body by Victoria bras for years and loved the way they fit and how nice I looked. For over a year now I have had severe itching and skin flaking  all over my breasts and on my back where the bra hits. I didn't think it was the bras because why would I suddenly become allergic to them. I tried laundry detergent for sensitive skin,stopped using fabric softener,a ton of dry skin creams,started using a natural deodorant, and even bought a humidifier.Nothing worked. I decided to buy new bras(Vanity Fair). It's been two days and the itching has stopped! I think something must have changed with the manufacturing of VS bras in the last couple of years.No bra fits me like a VS bra but  it seems that the price to pay is too high!
Thank you
I could not believe it when I saw the CBS 3 news out of Philadelphia at 11:00 PM tonight.  I have been a Victoria Secret customer for well over 10 years now and for the last 8 to 10 years I have been having this problem with a rash on my side. At times it has been so bad I swore I had shingles.  I have been to the doctor's office miltiple times and they make like it is no big deal, simply saying it is contact dermatitis. I finally demanded that they send me to a dermatologist, & she actually gave me an injection in the office as well as two different prescription medications before I was able to get some relief. I also tried changing laundry detergents, fabric softeners, bath soap, shampoo and tried eliminating just about every food source I could think of, to see if any of these things made a signifigant change in the rash. It never entered my mind to think it could be the VS underwear. I am so relieved to have seen this news story and found all of you with this same issue.  I am not happy about the quantity of money I have spent over the years at VS, now. Thank you for your insight and Good Luck Ladies!
to all my friends in this forum...i can't believe after all these years that i would find people who suffer the same as me.....first of all i must tell you that iam 83 years old and when i saw the report on the philly station last nite i had to tell you my story.
back in the 60's i bought 2 new maidenform bras....on a very hot day ,in the 90 degree heat i put a new one on without washing it first...after working around the house for hours, i started to itch and my sweat felt slimy...i was bright red and 2 days later all my skin peeled off, like a terrible burn now every time it gets too hot i get the welts back again.im good in cool weather but this heat is bad. ive tried everything..hope yours never comes back
Hello All,

I, like the rest of you, am a VS customer and have been for quite some time. I have had problems with my skin as well, under my breasts and in between them as well. The skin had been itching and peeling layer by layer but would still be dark even after I would peel these layers. I also would scratch to the point where I would bleed. I went to the dermatologist and was prescribed this shampoo and cream which took away some of the itching but the marks are still very visible at this time. I wouldve never thought it was my VS bras until I seen the Bad Bras special on Friday on CBS 3 Philadelphia. All of my Bras are from victoria secret so I am very upset. I plan to call the 800 number but I wonder if VS plans to do anything about this. I feel better, however, knowing I'm not the only one who has this problem. I have had this issue for about two years.
This is unbelievable. I've been struggling with this problem for MONTHS. Had a horrible rash between my breasts that my dermatologist said was flea bites! Also, very itchy breasts and nipple areas. At times the itching is so bad it drives me crazy. I've had allergies in the past, so tried everything to get this to go away. It was so embarrassing to talk to my doctors about, even my Ob-Gyn who is very understanding, but couldn't help. I've been buying VS bras and lingerie for years. I'm a DD and it is very difficult to find a bra that fits and looks decent. I finally thought maybe I'd developed an allergy to the latex in their bras. Looked on the Internet and lo and behold find all of you! Thanks everyone for sharing your stories. VS needs to step up and let people know they have a problem, I found nothing on their website. And, they need to change their manufacturer which seems to be the root of this problem.
I have had a rash for 2 weeks and went to my dermatologist 2 days ago.  I bought 4 VS bras in April.  Been wearing them since first of May.  I am having a biopsy testing now and skin allergen testing next week.  I called VS customer service and I asked them of any reports similar to mine and of course the rep said "No".  Anyway I want some answers and want them from someone from that company who I know is completely "aware" of this problem.
I too have been wearing VS bras for years.  I'm pregnant and needed to buy larger bras.  I bought 3 body by Victory bras and I am tearing up my breasts itching.  To the point I made myself bleed.  I thought maybe I acquired some allergy to the spandex in them because of my pregnancy, but reading all of your comments has made me think that maybe it's the something else in the bra, as I have never had an allergy to a component of a bra before.  
I think everyone who has had issues with VS should contact them directly so that it's documented and you have a claim number.  From what I'm reading, it appears VS is denying any knowledge of rashes caused by their product.  They need to be accountable for all the pain and suffering we've experienced and the only way this will be resolved is for us to make a big stink!   Who knows - this may be bigger than we think!  

Vicki
Rep from VS called me last week after my post.  She made no mention of getting my money back but by golly she got a one way fed ex air bill in the mail so she can get rid of my bras.  I am almost wanting to cut the bras in half and send her the half without the numbers on it so their "lab" aka trash receptacle can figure out what is wrong or get rid of my evidence.  Maybe someone in an independent lab should look at them.    I am calling them back today and ask them what is reasonable here and I am still within my 90 day return policy though sans tags.   But my skin allergen test will be Monday and my results should be back soon.  I am asking my doc.

Just wanted to let you know that i bought Wacoal's IBra and had the same awful, itchy, terrible reaction.  Must be made with the same materials.  
This is unbelievable!  Did the material feel slippery like the VS bras?  I mean, is is that new type foam stuff (not the normal nylon, spandex, cotton type)?  I'm asking because I desperately need new bras and want to stay away from getting this rash again.  Is the bra made in China?  Maybe that's the root of all these problems.....they could be using some strange formula that is causing our reactions.  
This is a condition called Contact dermatitis.Contact dermatitis is an inflammation of the skin caused by direct contact with an irritating or allergy-causing substance (irritant or allergen). Reactions may vary in the same individual over time. A history of any type of allergies increases the risk for this condition.
The second most common type of contact dermatitis is caused by exposure to a material to which the person has become hypersensitive or allergic. The skin inflammation varies from mild irritation and redness to open sores, depending on the type of irritant, the body part affected, and the sensitivity of the individual.
Any one of these could be the reason-Rubber or fabrics and clothing or other chemicals and substances which go into the making of the bra.
Initial treatment includes thorough washing with lots of water to remove any trace of the irritant that may remain on the skin. Further exposure to known irritants or allergens should be avoided.In some cases, the best treatment is to do nothing to the area.
Topical corticosteroid medications may reduce inflammation in severe cases. Oral anti-histamines can control the itching. an apply Calamine lotion to the area.
ref:http://www.myonlinewellness.com/topic/adam1000869

Spoke to returns dept last week and also claims dept at VS.  They have clarified a bit of confusion for me. The first rep who called me was not as helpful or clear.

I went to my dermatologist who verified today that my skin biopsy was positive for an allergic reaction to something on my breasts.  I have had prescription cream for 2 weeks that has worked well and lesions still clearing up.

When I spoke to the VS reps initially one dept sent me an airbill and that's all but I was reassured that they will credit my purchase, even though the store said they will store credit them for me.  If I work through the company for a return then the claims dept will determine and reimburse anything beyond merchandise for me and they will settle that separately through what is diagnosed.  

I told VS that I still want to have bras that I can wear and since these bras are manufactured overseas (mine were from India and China) it will be difficult to possibly determine exactly what chemical is exactly doing that to me because even though standards are in place there can still be variances in formulations based on what the Chicago broadcast story reported.

So I brought the 4 new bras to my doctor's office today and I have samples of each pad on my arm to see which ones I have a reaction.  I think one of the 4 I may not react to but will know in a couple of days.  So I have it documented at least.  It is quite a bit of trouble just to get this done and get bras I will not react to.
First of all, I am thankful to God for leading me to this page, where I've found all of you and have had many questions answered.
For the last 2 years, I have been on a mission to figure out WHAT on earth was causing me so much pain..
In the Summer of 06, I purchased my first Secret Embrace bra, BOY ! what a lift !  Awesome fit !  Little did I know the price I would have to pay for being a little vain...
At first, the rash was so severe and so intense, I would cry in the middle of the night from the pain.  Jumping into the shower only made it worse, since the warm water was like pouring alcohol on an open wound.
I thought, "well, this seems like a material I've never worn before, maybe I should just go back to the cotton ones".    Purchased some new  "100% cotton" push - up ones (ridiculously overpriced), only to find out they were just as bad.  The flare ups would come and go, depending on how many days I went bra-less or how much lotion I lathered on (heck, I even tried vaseline before wearing the bras).  My concern began when I actually felt PAIN on my breasts, even in between flare ups. After giving benadryl a shot I came to the conclusion that I simply could not take care of this on my own. I finally went to my OBGYN , who could only think of a fungus based on my description, and was prescribed an ointment that didn't do the job.  At my young age of 35 years old and with no history of breast cancer, I was sent for a mammogram, which thankfully, came back clean.
OK, so now this only adds to my confusion...
"I MUST be allergic to spandex or nylon" I thought.
So I diligently read ALL of the ingredients on every one of their bras and realized of course that even though they SAY "100% cotton"  they obviously have some extra stuff to line the inside of the cup.  So what did I do??  I started stuffing kleenex in between my breasts and the cup so that there would be no contact, after all.. where am I going to find a decent bra that has NO spandex or nylon whatsoever..  stupid me !
I didn't come across these posts sooner, because I kept on doing searches on "nylon allergies".  I NEVER in a million years, thought that it could be the manufacturing, I always thought it was me.
Here they are, these freaking butt holes laughing themselves away, denying anything is wrong with their bras, while women across the country are suffering in silence because they think they're the only ones with breasts that look like they've been soaked in acid !!
If they are sending people release forms for a $25 gift card then they must REALLY think we're stupid!
They're hiding something here, and they are FREAKED out about losing their name and their reputation (not to mention all of their naive customers).
My 4 year old son wanted to know why I woke up crying this morning...
my breasts look like they're going to be scarred, I won't really know for now.  
I have an appointment with a dermatologist on Thursday and will tell her about what I have found out (if she doesn't know already).  I guess I'll need to go on some kind of steroid like many of the other gals.
I am SO SURPRISED that this news has not reached NATIONAL coverage, so many more people would know about this.  How come I didn;t hear about this in the last 24 months or so???  It just isn't out there .
So, are we going to just walk away ??  Most people will...
But we really shouldn't.  We don't really know if it IS formaldehyde or if it's another chemical.  What about long term health issues?  Toxic chemicals seeping into our bodies through the skin on our breasts.  What about the moms that had to nurse their children while they were suffering from this?  I am so mad I can't even tell you.
These bras are still on the shelves and it kills me to think that they're still being sold.
I wonder...
did Gisele Bundchen get a rash???
What a story!  I can truly feel your pain, however, I only suffered for three or four weeks before I gave in and went to the doctor.  Luckily, I figured out the allergy to VS bras right away because of my weight loss and needing to purchase new bras (of course, I HAD to have VS because they were so comfortable and I was rewarding myself for losing weight!)  How were we to know there's something in these bras causing such horrid reactions?  Please keep us posted after you see your doctor....keep the suspect bras and don't sign any release.  If you'd consider speaking to the press, I can give you information as to who to contact.  I've been hoping to find more gals who have had issues because this news won't go NATIONAL without more people coming forward.  We need to warn all these women!  
I sent an email to Phoenix's Channel 3 "On Your Side" to see if they'd do a story like the ones in Cleveland and Philadelphia.  I included the link to the Cleveland story (see the post from MED HELP on May 21).  We should all contact our local stations and let them know!  Let's spread the word!
I'm sooo glad to have found this forum!  I have a rash on the upper part of my left breast and now it's starting on my right one.  I went to my GP this morning and she thought it was a latex allergy.  I'm skeptical about that.  After reading all of the postings I'm thinking it is contact dermatitis due to the chemicals in the padding of the bras.  The only difference in my case is that I haven't bought any new bras.  I wear primarily VS, Maidenform and Bali.  But the rash just started about 2 weeks ago.  Anyone else get a rash from old (not new) bras?
Any chance one of these bras was "made in China"?  Who knows, maybe you have one particular bra that you haven't worn very often and now you've started wearing it enough to alert your body.  I think there's OLD bras out there that were made differently (in China) and are now starting to surface!
Hey Molly ! Read your post and the funny thing is that one of the reasons why my rash would come and go (which would confuse me more) was because I would alternate the new bras with the older ones (which happend to be made in Sri Lanka, Thailand and Israel). So while those weren't giving me the rash, the newer ones (Made in China) would cause the flare-up all over again... I would just stay away from ANY brand that's made in China, that's where the problem is stemming from.. Bad dog food, lead in toys, Bad Bras !!
I too have had a reaction to the old VS bras.  I have not yet contacted the company as I wanted to make sure that was my problem.  I have not worn the suspect bras since seeing the info on TV here in Cleveland.  Once the rash cleared up, I tried wearing an older comfortable VS bra of a different style and was surprised when the rash came back.  I have since purchased two new bras (not from VS, though).  I could not find a single one made in the USA nor could I find one of 100% cotton in my search.  I, too, have been putting kleenex between my skin and the bras.  Even the ones I just bought.  I am so afraid of the rash coming back.   I still have discoloration and wonder if anyone has had any luck getting rid of it.

On another note, a friend of mine said there was an article in the Cleveland Plain Dealer that a woman is actually suing VS.  I did not see it and hope to check the archives soon.  Thought this might be of interest to the group.
I have been suffering with this for over a year now also.  I have talked to my ob/gyn about it on numerous occations and she had prescribed some cremes thinking it was something fungal.  I told her I thought it was something in my bra because it just itched like hell and I have been wearing VS bras for years now.  I usually buy a set of new bras once a  year from VS and after reading all of this, it was about a year or so ago when I bought my new round of bras.  I was starting to think I had some kind of cancer but after reading what all of you had to say I really am reassured that it is probably the bras that I am buying.  I have put panty liners in my bras and noticed that it did help.  I was planning on buying some breast pads to wear in my bras but now I will shop for other bras.  I am so glad I found this forum.  
This allergy isn't just with VS bras.  I've recently become allergic to most of my bras, all different types.  Severe itching and welts.  This usually happens right around where the wire is, under breasts and under arms.  My doctor prescribed a lotion that really helps. It's a cream combination that can be mixed together by the pharmacist -  Nystatin and Triamcinolone Acetonide.  I hope that helps people.  But the minute I put on a clean bra, it happens again.  Has anyone found all cotton bras.  I read that a lot of manufacturers blend the cotton with rubber or some kind of synthetic.  I guess it's hard to find a bra without any synthetic.  Let me know if you've found any purely cotton bras.  In the meantime I'm "GOING COMANDO!" for a few days to get some relief.
I, also have been suffering from a rash under my breasts where the wire is. I have called VS and they offered to give me THE LAST KNOWN SALE PRICE of the bra since I no longer have the receipts. They also sent me a 'settlement and claims' form. I will not sign it and I advise everyone elso DO NOT sign it! No one knows the long term effects of this problem. I wear a 34DD and have not been able to find any bras to fit me. Any bra I do find that is even made in my size is made in CHINA! I can't believe Victoria's Secret is still selling bras made in China after all of these problems- they obviously DO NOT care about their customers!
I wrote about my problem, the same as everyone else, quite a while ago.We know what we can't wear, has anyone found a bra that won't give us a problem??  I've been searching and searching, but I can't find a bra I can wear.  Has anyone found a bra they can wear?  I'm looking for suggestions, I'm still wearing bras that are over 2 years old and they are falling apart..Any suggestions would be great.
I have found over the past cpl. yrs. that I itch constantly
with all most every brand bra I buy. The VS bras may
use more of what ever is causing this in their bras but
most likely majority of bras are probably coming from
China and the spandex is being mixed with latex a
rubber bi-product. With the amount of persons allergic
to latex they should not be used in our bras.

I live in Ireland and have recently come out in a very bad allergic reaction to a sports bra.  I only wore it for 3 hours and then had a shower.  The next morning it looked like I had suffered 3rd degree burns. It's over a week now and it's only slowing fading.  I'm only steroid tablets, steroid creams, anti histamines and an antibiotic. What a surprise - the bra was made in China.  I'm pursuing the problem with the retailer (Marks & Spencers).  Standards in manufacturing in China have to be improved.  In the meantime, these companies are making huge profits. Can any one let me know what the latest is with the VS case?  Did they do tests on the bras?

I'll be the first to admit that I took off my bra while reading these posts.  Thank you all for posting.  

I did a search and found http://www.decentexposures.com/.  100% cotton bras made in Seattle by women.  I'm sure there are more out there if we look.
I contacted the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.  Anyone else who wishes to do so may fill out a quick online form here:

https://www.cpsc.gov/cgibin/incident.aspx
It's been 2 weeks since my rash appeared.  The worst of it has now died down, but there are still blotches of where the rash was. I'm really concerned that it will scar.  How long did it take the rash to totally disappear with people?  Have people been left with scars?

Any help is much appreciated.

I got a letter from the Consumer Product Safety Commission with a copy of the information I gave them, asking me to verify that the info was correct and to sign and return to them.  The letter stated that because of the volume of complaints they receive, they cannot follow up on all of them, and that I will be contacted within a month if they select my complaint for investigation.
I figure that maybe if they receive a number of complaints, they're more likely to look into it.  So ladies, please fill out the complaint form here:
We'll get the bra companies investigated yet!
Thanks for the information!  Great idea.  Maybe we can get these bras off the market now.  I just submitted my incident form.  Now we wait....

Vicki
I believe I'm experiencing a similar reaction to older bras by La Senza — a Canadian company now owned by VS's parent company. They're very much like the VS seamless, smooths everything bra. But it's only been in the last two and half months that I've been bothered by the skin rash and irritations. Mine too were made in China.
I had the EXACT same problem as lunamars - I developed a severe rash from a Wonderbra I had owned for a while.  I switched back to my old VS bra and the rash went away.  Last weekend I bought a new Angels by VS bra and the rash came back after wearing it one time.  I'm very upset - have filed a complaint with CPSC.  Now I'm going to try to get my money back from VS for the bra I wore one time.  The worst part it is that I need a new bra and I have no idea what manufacturer is safe.
Update - I checked my old VS bras and they were made in Indonesia.  The new bra that caused the issues was made in China.  I took the bra back to VS and at they said they weren't supposed to take it without the tags but they were kind enough to make an exception and give me my money back.  I purchased a bra from Nordstrom's today - made in Thailand because that was the only alternative I could find to China, other than French bras that cost almost twice as much.

If anyone is still checking this thread, please post updates as to the brands you find that are non-irritating.  Thanks.
I have the allergies everyone is chatting about, as I have posted before.  I wanted to let all know that I recently tried a  Wacoal bra it was made in the Dominican Repubic!!  I washed it before wearing it and no problems thus far.  Do check the labels on all but style #65342 fits much like VS bras and is not made in China.  Even though it cost $48.00, it is well worth no allergy problems. I purchased it at Macy's and they told me I could return it if any problems!  Good luck!!

Wacoal, America Inc.
136 Madison Ave
New York, NY  10016
I am checking this site because I have same problems from VC bras that I bought recently. I am surprised so many people had the alergies to the VS bras...We should contact the some sort of consumer agency for this issue and get proper reimbursment for our troubles.
From Australia
Munxay
I am in Sydney Australia, I bought two body by Victoria bras on my trip to New York in June, recently experiencing the rash and itches on my breast. I have been using VS bras for more than 8 years never had problems before.

I am very concerned, no only because of the rashes and money, but also worried about possible longer-term impact on our bodies. Some of you said there might be chemicals such as formaldehyde used in the form material, that is a carcinogenic agent, in simple term it is a cancer causing material, I would suggest to keep all the photos and bras even receipts in case something comes up in future. Also it is good to provide Gail with the information to test out the contents.

Thank you for providing the complaint website but it doesn’t seem to work from outside of U.S. We did not see the Cleveland report out side of U.S.A, otherwise I would not have bought the bras in June 2008. I am surprised the VS did not take them out of the store after the report.

Wacoal ibra user too had rashes
I've purchased 2 black and nude Wacoal ibra months ago. I had no problem until I washed nude one by hand and dry flat completely. After this first wash, my breasts started itching. I didn't know where it came from that time. But soon I realized it's coming from ibra. I stopped using them and throw it away. Few weeks later skin rash and irritation disappeared after I switched to one of my old bra. A week later, I tried black ibra again since i kept it in new condition, but all that skin rash and irritation came right back to me in one day. From this point, I thouhgt I should report this to Wacoal co and let them know.
We will see how they response on this type of issue. I will try to visit www.cpsc.gov as well.
I am so glad I found this site and share information.
Thank you to all.
After I read all your posts, I checked my black ibra's label.

Yes, it's made in China.
padded bras absorb detergents.  You will notice that even after a lot of rinsing and you squeeze the bra cups, soap suds will still be there.  I always rinse my padded bras very well ( like at least 8 times (basin full of water)) when handwashing , try squeezing them under water till the pads dont leak out suds anymore.
Good try, but unfortunately, detergent has absolutely nothing to do with this.  I've always used a  laundry product made by the Shaklee Corporation, which is non-allergenic and safe for all types of skin (including babies).  No matter what I did, I got the burn/rash from these latest bras.  The old VS bras cause no such reaction.  There's something very caustic in these bras which were made in China and we need to get them off the market!

I've recently received a form to complete from US Consumer Products Safety Commission.  I hope they investigate this soon, because women need to know about this BEFORE they go through the hell I went through.
Thanks!  The bra I bought from Nordstrom (mentioned above) is actually Wacoal.  It's not the ibra though (this one is made in Thailand).  I wore it for the first time today and experienced no problems.  However, I didn't think to wash it first - which I should have because it was after I washed my Wonderbra that the first problems started.

Like others, I am concerned about the long term effects these defective bras may have on our bodies.

I am relieved to find out that there is information available about Victoria's Secret bras giving a rash. I have bought and exchanged 8 bras from Victoria's Secret, and only one, that is the simplest and uses a different fabric and has no support cups, doesn't give me a rash. I just bought 4 more bras from 2 from Wonder Bra and 2 from another maker, and it looks like the Wonder Bra (Made in China) is giving me a rash as well. It is very similar in make to the Victoria's Secret bras that have been causing my itchy, red, triangle (clearly around my breasts were the seems sit) shaped rash. I also have had outbreaks on my back where the strap sits on my skin.

I stopped wearing the bras and after 4 to 5 weeks the rash cleared up. However, this was after 4 to 5 months of experimenting with different dermatologist recommend creams to clear it up, washing the bras multiple times (by hand in Woolite or in the machine with detergent that I wash all of my clothes in).

Clearly there is a manufacturer that Victoria's Secret and perhaps Wonder Bra uses in China that uses a chemical that irritates one's skin.

More news reports need to be released about this so we can help each other understand why this has been happening in order to influence these companies to stop cutting corners and make appropriate adjustments to their manufacturing practices.
Welcome to the forum!  I assume you've read all or most of the previous posts and may have watched the news report here:  http://www.19actionnews.com/Global/story.asp?s=8165067
Your local news stations may have consumer action departments--I know there's at least two different stations here in Phoenix that cover that sort of thing.  Please contact them and tell them about our forum as well as the other news stations who have done the story.
Also, you can contact the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission here:  https://www.cpsc.gov/cgibin/incident.aspx
Best of luck!
I discovered recently that Old Navy now sells bras.  They are only offered on the web site (http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/category.do?cid=36863), but prices are reasonable and they do offer DD.  I did notice in the description that they are imported, but it didn't say from where.  I suppose a girl could always take a chance and order one--maybe they're not from China?  At least with Old Navy.com the exchanges and returns are free.
Standard shipping is $7 but you can always search for a coupon code!
Old Navy also seems much more customer-service oriented than Victoria's Secret, in my experience.
If anyone tries them, please give us your opinion!  I may be ordering some myself.
Hello Ladies,

I have been buying VS bras for years and have never had a problem....until now.  I have 3 Secret Embrace Bras that I purchased that give me the rash we have all felt!  What is interesting is I have had these bras for a couple of months (maybe?) and they only recently have been irritating my skin (which made me think of the posting above mentioning maybe the detergent is the culprit?).  I have purchased a Bra Ball to wash them to see if they still irritate my skin after washing, will keep you posted.  

Also, sorry to throw a proverbial wrench into the forum but I have some old (maybe 3 year old?) VS Very Sexy Push-Up bras which have never (even now) given me any irritation and they are made in China!  So, I don't think we can assume ALL VS bras made in China are suspect, but maybe something has recently changed in their manufacturing process??
I have never worn Victoria’s Secrets bras before this year.  I have three of their bras, various ones from the Pink line.  In late August I broke out in a rash along the under wire area.  I have been to the doctor twice and have spent money on medications and creams to get this cleared up.  The first time the rash went away I still didn’t wear my bras for a bit to give my skin time to heal and recover…since I wasn’t sure what was causing this I didn’t want to take any chances.  Once everything seemed to be back to normal I tried wearing one of my bras again.  Within two days the rash was back.  Again I went through the same process and tried to wait it out till it all got cleared up again.  Again I tried a different one of my VS bras and again the rash came back within two days.  Between each break out I have had I have washed my bras in various detergents that I normally use to see if using one and not the other stopped this rash.  Yet again I wear the bra and two days later rash.  After reading this blog I feel like I may have found a crack in the case of what is causing this allergic reaction.  I will have to wait till the current round goes away before trying a different, non-VS, bra to see if all of this madness will finally stop!!
Hello again,

I washed one of my bras with the Bra Ball that I purchased in the hopes that it is the residual soap in the pads that was causing my reaction but to no avail, when I wore the bra again the rash came back like gangbusters.  
Not all Wacoal bras are made in China.  The style I purchased and have had no problems with was made in the Dominican Republic.  Every bra brand has bras made in different countries.  Wacoal, like VS , Vanity Fare, etc has some of their bras made in China.  CHECK THE LABELS!!!
Thank you everyone for your comments.  I was relieved to find this site and finally understand what was causing my intense itching to my VS Bras.  I just wanted to mention that my Body by Victoria bras which caused all my reactions were made in SRI LANKA.  
I too am experiencing the rash like symptoms and the lymphnoids in my underarms are swollen. I have worn VS bra's since I can remember and this has never happened. I can tell you that I have been in-touch with people that deal in textiles and they are telling me that it has to do with the mercerization process before the material hits the lines in where they cut and sow the bra's. They are then sprayed with Acetate to keep the vibrant colors to these bra's, which then turns into Sodium. I also heard that they spray them with stricnine to keep rodents from nesting in them in the shipping process. I believe it does not matter where these bra's are made, I believe that it is the chemicals that they use. This is not right what they are doing we are putting these garments on our skin and we all want to know why breast cancer is so common. I am going to look more into this matter. I am sending out my bra's for a water and solvent extraction to a textile lab to see what poision they are putting in our undergarments.

Please contact me at ***@**** to find out more information and if you have any information to help fight this please contact me...
Hi everybody,

About three months ago, I began developing an extremely itch, red rash directly around my panty line. My doctor and I suspected natural rubber latex allergy (a reaction to the elastic in the product) and sent me in for patch testing.

I was not allergic to formaldehyde, rubber latex, cabre fiber, or any other elastic related product. Still, I stopped wearing the underwear, and after a month of hardcore treatment, the rash partially went away.

Simultaneously, I started to develop a rash on my breasts. It was a strange rash - only in the cups, more along the tops. My shoulders, under my breasts, and back were rash-free. I was able to tie rash incidence to wearing my Victoria's Secret bras, but I was mystified as to the cause. All of the bras and panties in question were bought in May 2008 and were made in Sri Lanka and China.

Today I found this website, and everything is starting to fall into place. But having tested negative for formaldehyde allergy, which is the suspected contaminant, I'm curious what the actual allergen is.

I want to follow jude1616's lead and send my bras and panties to a textile lab to see what is in them, and then get allergy tested against those substances. I think it's important we track down the precise nature of the chemicals that are doing this to us.

I am extremely interested in joining the class action lawsuit, as I own hundreds of dollars of VS merchandise that will now need to be replaced, have spent thousands of dollars on medical bills, itch-relief medications and cremes, and have been nearly unable to work for the last three months due to the severity of my condition. There is a chance my butt and breasts may be scarred for life as well. If you have details on the lawsuit, please post them.
Hi Julie,

This is what I want to do, a class action suit I left in your in-box my cell number. Call me as soon as you can....

Jude
I was asked if I wanted to join a class action suit but decided the attorney wanted more than standard (she wanted 1/3 of settlement PLUS all attorney or process expenses were to be paid out of my portion and then I would get one third of whats left).  Although I was put through a good deal of pain and suffering and have all the documentation necessary to prove my case, I figured I'd wait until someone else found a good attorney and join in with them.  Please give me any information you may have and I'll get in touch.

Vicki
We need to report all of this to the Attorney Generals Office. I am currently awaiting a package of information that I have to sign and return to them. They then will bring a Class Action Suit if enough people come forward. My Dr. is looking into getting the bra's tested for me as. I have been speaking to Michelle Fohl at Limited Brands in the claims office. I have told her about this blog and that there is seriously something wrong. I went for my testing and everthing came back negitive except the peice that they cut and taped it where my strap would be under my arm and it was evident that there is was a rash do to these bra's.

Her number is 1-800-810-7011 listen for her extension, she say's that VS has not received many complaints on this. I beg to differ, from what  I have read here. First and for-most you must document this all with a Dr and then contact you local Attorney General Attorney's Office. That way this is done for us, not costing us out of pocket expenses....

Law has always been a fun subject for me...And it happened to me for a reason as I am not going to sit back and let them do this to us....Does not matter where they are from, this should not be happening....

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this site.  I thought I was going bonkers! My story is exactly the same -- wore VS for years, bought new ones, rash and itches, doctor's visits, "hmm . . . . looks like a contact rash to me,"  creams, etc., etc.  I knew I couldn't be the only one.  I'm going to show this blog to my doctor and take back the bras (Body by Victoria - Made in China).  This is crazy!  I never get rashes. Ever.  Not even with poison ivy. The rash seems to be worse on the underside of the breast, where it lies more heavier in the bra, but there is some on the sides, too. Should we contact the federal AG or our individual state's AG (I'm in Michigan) with this problem?  Sign me up! This can't continue. I just wonder what the long term effects will be!  Thank you all for speaking up.
I have the reaction to a Chantelle bra. Is this allergy or reaction (intolerance) to a toxin?
We should be aware that the formaldehyde "allergy" is not actually an "allergy", but is a chemical irritation, or chemical burn on the skin. Formaldehyde is a fixative reagent, it can denature (similar to cooking) the protein in the skin cells, therefore the healthy cells try to get rid of the affected cells by causing an inflammatory reaction, the rash. Immersing live tissue in formaldehyde results in "mummification or fixation" of the tissue. It is also a known carcinogenic (cancer causing).

Count me in if you need any more support for a lawsuit, I have some rash photos for proof.
Munxay
Now that I know this is the source of the rash, I checked all my old VS bras (the ones that didn't give me a rash) and they all were made in Mexico.  VS must have recently sent their business to China.
I thought it was just me.  I woke up last night and was itching so bad I was crying.  In the morning I looked and have big red welts all over my breasts.  After taking a shower it only made it worse.  The first time it happened was almost two years ago and I thought it was the detergent.  So I washed the bra several times in plain water and hung it too dry.  I was very scared to try it again but several weeks later (after waiting for two weeks for the itching to subside) I wore it again and the same thing.  I still thought it was me so I stopped wearing it.  I bought a new really cute one last month from VS but have been scared to try it, but I did yesterday and am so uncomfortable right now!  Maybe I'll go to the doctor tomorrow, but it doesn't sound like that will help.  I will go to VS tomorrow though and let them know this time.  That's for sure.  
try contacting me at seaofjewlz at aim *******.... that is my email spelt out just the way it is as they will not allow us to put our priavate emails on here.
Dot c o m
I have been in pain and itching since May and my doctor put me on meds that made me very sick.  I thought it might be the bra but I had no way of being sure so I stopped wearing those new bras---Warner purchased at kohls and the sores healed somewhat.  I purchased a new Vera Wang bra in September and had a very very bad breakout.  I again went to the doctor and again I was treated with a steroid cream.  I also have a followup for a biopsy for the possibility of inflamatory breast cancer.  My doctor just wants to be very careful---due to the reoccurance.
Hi all,

Just a follow-up.  I've been very, very diligent in finding bras to fit my new (smaller) size, as I lost enough weight to go down several sizes.  My main criteria was to be sure NONE were made in China.  It's difficult to find them, but trust me, it's worth the search.  All rashes have disappeared!  I wish we could warn every single woman out there!  This was a horrible reaction and because many doctors don't have a clue as to what's going on, we (and the insurance companies) are spending a fortune on biopsy's, medications, and creams.  Once you stop wearing these bras (made in China), I'm confident the rash will go away (it may take some time without medical intervention, such as steriods, etc.).  
Lane Bryant Bras = what is in your bras? & where are they made

I would like to know what products are in your bras? Mine is an Underwire = Cacique.  where are they made
Mine cause a rash too.

I have just watched a story on Good Morning America about the VS bras.  I have had the same problem but always thought it was because I was gaining weight and my bras were getting too small.  I have been buying the IPEX bras because they work so well for me.  I recently bought 2 new IPEX bras in a size that fits perfectly and I'm still getting the itching and rash under my breasts. I've also have a problem w/ my entire breast(s) itcing badly.  I am now relieved to know there is a definite reason for this.  I will not be wearing them again and will be briging them back to VS for credit.
Please help. I have the red bumps that itch and ooze white stuff and bleed, especially where the straps have been. I have scarred in two spots. I have hundreds and hundreds of dollars of Victoria's Secret bras, as they are so pretty. I was wondering where in the world I was getting this ugly rash from and now I know after watching the news. It's exactly in the shape of a bra!  Any suggestions, I can be reached at rene.ryder@yahoo. Thank you.
About a week ago I developed a bright red itchy rash under my arms, in the armpit area. I have always worn VS bras. The bras that I have currently been wearing, I have had for about a year. I just saw Good Morning America about the rashes that people have developed. Has anyone had a rash under the arms??? I'm wondering if it's related.
What brand of bra did you find that was not made in China.  This allergic reaction is not only in VS bras.  Any new bra I have bought and yes they are from china give me a horrible rash.  I have to take benadryl for a few days and quit wearing the bras.  It doesn't matter how many times I wash them I still get the reaction.  
But it is definitely something new when making the bras.  My daughter wears the all different brands of bras and has no allergic reaction.  
I just wish I knew what material or whatever is causing it so I know what kind of bra I can buy.
To: Formaldehyde according to Gov found in Victoria Secret bras
This chemical Formaldehyde is like a patch when used as a bra or underwear rubbing against the skin day in and out of the recipient. When mixed with sweat it infuses into the body much like a patch of some sort and gets absorbed into the blood stream....

Here is what one of the gov cancer sites states about Formaldehyde (by the way now found in Victoria Secrets products such as bras)....(most likely also in their underpants as well)

Formaldehyde and Cancer: Questions and Answers

Key Points
Formaldehyde is a colorless, flammable, strong-smelling gas that is used to manufacture building materials and produce many household products (see Question 1).
Formaldehyde sources in the home include pressed wood products, cigarette smoke, and fuel-burning appliances (see Question 2).
When exposed to formaldehyde, some individuals may experience various short-term health effects (see Question 3).
Formaldehyde has been classified as a human carcinogen (cancer-causing substance) by the International Agency for Research on Cancer and as a probable human carcinogen by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (see Question 4).
Research studies of workers exposed to formaldehyde have suggested an association between formaldehyde exposure and cancers of the nasal sinuses, nasopharynx, and brain, and possibly leukemia (see Question 5).

What is formaldehyde?
Formaldehyde is a colorless, flammable, strong-smelling gas. It is an important industrial chemical used to manufacture building materials and to produce many household products. It is used in pressed wood products such as particleboard, plywood, and fiberboard, glues and adhesives, permanent press fabrics, paper product coatings, and certain insulation materials. In addition, formaldehyde is commonly used as an industrial fungicide, germicide, and disinfectant, and as a preservative in mortuaries and medical laboratories.

How is the general population exposed to formaldehyde?
According to a 1997 report by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, formaldehyde is normally present in both indoor and outdoor air at low levels, usually less than 0.03 parts of formaldehyde per million parts of air (ppm). Materials containing formaldehyde can release formaldehyde gas or vapor into the air. Formaldehyde can also be released by burning wood, kerosene, natural gas, or cigarettes; through automobile emissions; or from natural processes.

During the 1970s, urea-formaldehyde foam insulation (UFFI) was used in many homes. However, few homes are now insulated with UFFI. Homes in which UFFI was installed many years ago are not likely to have high formaldehyde levels now. Pressed wood products containing formaldehyde resins are often a significant source of formaldehyde in homes. Other potential indoor sources of formaldehyde include cigarette smoke and the use of unvented, fuel-burning appliances such as gas stoves, wood-burning stoves, and kerosene heaters.

Industrial workers who produce formaldehyde or formaldehyde-containing products, laboratory technicians, health care professionals, and mortuary employees may be exposed to higher levels of formaldehyde than the general public. Exposure occurs primarily by inhaling formaldehyde gas or vapor from the air or by absorbing liquids containing formaldehyde through the skin.

What are the short-term health effects of formaldehyde exposure?
When formaldehyde is present in the air at levels exceeding 0.1 ppm, some individuals may experience health effects such as watery eyes; burning sensations of the eyes, nose, and throat; coughing; wheezing; nausea; and skin irritation. Some people are very sensitive to formaldehyde, while others have no reaction to the same level of exposure.

Can formaldehyde cause cancer?
Although the short-term health effects of formaldehyde exposure are well known, less is known about its potential long-term health effects. In 1980, laboratory studies showed that exposure to formaldehyde could cause nasal cancer in rats. This finding raised the question of whether formaldehyde exposure could also cause cancer in humans. In 1987, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) classified formaldehyde as a probable human carcinogen under conditions of unusually high or prolonged exposure (1). Since that time, some studies of industrial workers have suggested that formaldehyde exposure is associated with nasal cancer and nasopharyngeal cancer, and possibly with leukemia. In 1995, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) concluded that formaldehyde is a probable human carcinogen. However, in a reevaluation of existing data in June 2004, the IARC reclassified formaldehyde as a known human carcinogen (2).

What have scientists learned about the relationship between formaldehyde and cancer?
Since 1980, the National Cancer Institute (NCI) has conducted studies to determine whether there is an association between occupational exposure to formaldehyde and an increase in the risk of cancer. The results of this research have provided the EPA and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) with information to evaluate the potential health effects of workplace exposure to formaldehyde.

Long-term effects of formaldehyde have been evaluated in epidemiological studies (studies that attempt to uncover the patterns and causes of disease in groups of people). One type of study, called a cohort study, looks at populations that have different exposures to a particular factor, such as formaldehyde. A cohort is a group of people who are followed over time to see whether a disease develops. Another kind of study, a case-control study, begins with people diagnosed as having a disease (cases) and compares them to people without the disease (controls).

Several NCI studies have found that anatomists and embalmers, professions with potential exposure to formaldehyde, are at an increased risk for leukemia and brain cancer compared with the general population. In 2003, a number of cohort studies were completed among workers exposed to formaldehyde. One study, conducted by the NCI, analyzed 25,619 workers in formaldehyde industries and estimated each worker’s exposure to formaldehyde while at work (3). The analysis found an increased risk of death due to leukemia, particularly myeloid leukemia, among the workers exposed to formaldehyde. This risk was associated with increasing peak and average levels of exposure and the duration of exposure, but not cumulative exposure. Another study of 14,014 textile workers performed by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) also found an association between the duration of exposure to formaldehyde and leukemia deaths. However, an additional cohort study of 11,039 British industry workers found no association between cumulative formaldehyde exposure and leukemia deaths.

Formaldehyde undergoes rapid chemical changes immediately after absorption. Therefore, some scientists think effects of formaldehyde at sites other than the upper respiratory tract are unlikely. However, some laboratory studies suggest that formaldehyde may affect the lymphatic and blood systems. Based on both the epidemiologic data from cohort studies and the experimental data from laboratory research, NCI investigators have concluded that exposure to formaldehyde may cause leukemia, particularly myeloid leukemia, in humans. However, inconsistent results from other studies suggest that further research is needed before definite conclusions are drawn.

I bought two vs bras in July of this year . I always save my receipts so I still had that and the bag....bought the bras in July and started wearing them and its Nov now ...I got a bright red welted looking circle the size of a lemon on my left breast below the nipple...wow it scared me when I seen how big it was ..I showed my husband and asked him what he thought it could be ...he thought it was a burn ..about two weeks later were the wires are on both breast I got 5 to 6 hive looking wilts...bright red... I STARTED LOOKING UP EVERYTHING THING ON  THE INTERNET ..AS TO WHAT IT COULD BE..and omg  this has been going on now for two months not knowing it was my bras...well now its on my back ....hive looking red spots and my stomach ..its very unattractive,,,and itchy ..I didn't know what was wrong with me...today on yahoo I read ...vs bras causes health problems...I had to check it out I couldn't figure how in the world their bras could cause health issue's...not knowing it was going to be what was wrong with me....my eyes popped out and mouth dropped open...I felt almost some relief ..I was thinking the worst ...here's my question .????????? I took the bras back ....and the manager and I went back to a changing room and I showed her what the bras had done to me...she could not believe it when she seen it...she was very nice and gave me a full refund on both bras...I got the new miracle bra two of them...and I am scared to wear them...how do I know if they will be safe to wear ...I want to heal up and not make matters worse ..melissa in ks
I saw the segment on the Good Morning America this morning about this and I still can't believe it. I have the exact same symptoms that the lady was describing. I have rashes and red welts with a hard shell. I have been having this problem for a few years so VS has been using formaldehyde for a while,I have been a customer for 8 years. I do not think it has to do with the Very Sexy bras because i do not have any, I like the  Body by Victoria bras, I have a few o those. This is unbelievable, I buy all my intimates from VS, I take all my friends who come to the US to visit to VS.
I have seen two dermatologists, been given several creams and lotions and all the time it was the bra! The derm scraped off the hard shell and got it tested and he told me it could be eczema or psoriasis. I asked him why I would have eczema or psoriasis only around my breasts? He said it could be because of my detergent, so i changed everything, I only use non scented products now! I use Dreft or Ivory Snow for laundry and I only use Dove for sensitive skin for bathing, the derm also recommended CeraVe body lotion. That has not solved the problem, the rashes keep coming back every couple weeks, most times when it dries up it leaves black spots on my skin. Why in the world wouldn't VS know that  formaldehyde should not be used in clothing! They owe us the consumers a good explanation for this. I want my skin back!
I just saw this problem on Yahoo News and watched the ABC clip. Now I know why I'm itching and have a rash when I wear bras from La Senza. As someone else mentioned, La Senza is owned by the same company that owns Victoria Secret. I just checked the bras and they're all made in China. I have never had a rash from bras until I started wearing these bras. There's too many of us experiencing this problem for it to be a coincidence. Does anyone know if Canadians can sign up for the class action law suit? I have to replace about 6 bras now and  would like to get my money back from the bras causing the rash!

Dawn
I am also in Canada and have VS bras that I have bought over the last year on  trips to Vegas. I was shocked when I saw the clip on Yahoo News about the VS Bra issue. I have been suffering itchy, red, hive covered breasts for the last year or so and never connected it to the bra. I have been using allergy pills to ease the itch & hives and just thought it was my sensitive skin being bothered. I also tried the allergy friendly detergent etc...and at least now I know there is an answer.
I would also like to get my $$ back at the very least and I guess I am going bra shopping this week.....uugghh
number one problem they have is...if the garment contains formaldehyde the need to list it on the label a long with the other listing such as the spandex and nylon  ..I am not sure whats in it I took mine back...but it should list formaldehyde also on the label...it would be no different then buying a candy bar  and if you were allergic to peanuts...and they never put that it had peanuts in it and you ate it....and it did have peanuts listed in the contents  i..you would have an allergic reaction ...that's why we as consumers have to know whats in the products we but ...and we needed to know that vs bras contained formaldehyde...I would never of wore that bra if it said it had contained such a ridiculous material as that .....
Does anyone know what brand of bra is safe to buy?  I have experienced the rash with many different brands of bras not just VS.  It started happening within the last couple of years.    
I checked my bras from VS, they are made in Sri Lanka, so it is not only the bras that are made in China that are toxic. I never realized that so many ppl were suffereing with this problem until i saw the news yesterday and searched online. Does anyone have any information on the Class Action Lawsuit? I would like to join: phyallain at aol. Send me some information.
My daughter called me the morning after hearing on regis and kelly about a women filing a lawsuit over a rash  from her bras, the reason she was calling is i too..for over 3 to 4 months had a rash under my breast...it was rather large..my girlfriend said she thought it was a heat rash...now i don't believe so..i put powder on it and exama cream..but nothing helped...till i used nothing at all..its now cleared up but i do have scarring...i am also now going to try the different vs bras i own to see if it was a certain one that caused me to break out..
Thank You so much everyone for this Forum it sure cleared things up for me...
I'm interested in your knowledge of formaldehye and its affects on the human body. Do you know that some dentists use a product containing formaldehyde in root canals? It does permanent and severe damage and the FDA turns a blind eye! What else is formaldehye in that we don't know about. Please visit our website: www.worstrootcanalever.com for more information on formaldehyde in dentistry!!!

SOS Advocate
VS bras are NOT the only brand of bra causing these reactions!!  What's going on ??  It seems nothing is safe!  I have had reactions to VS, Vanity Fare, and Barely There bras.  There is something definately being added to to these bras in the making or shipping of these bras.  Every time I have a reaction, it is the cups only.  The perfect outline of the cup!  I always wash before wearing.   Prednesone and prescription creams do heal them up for me but, I am out of commission for 3 weeks sometimes (red & itchy).  I also want to mention that while watching a news program the other night they were taking callers on the air about the VS law suits etc. and one woman called in saying she thinks we are all out to make money.. sue happy,  I would like her to feel what we have gone through!!!
Hi everyone! I have been suffering from a itchy burning hive looking rash that hurts so good when I itch it for about 8 months now. I have been to the Dr. and the dermotologist. Went through lots of tubes of different strenghts if steroid cream. I suffer most nights. My husband was sitting here folding laundry and had a pair of underware of mine in his hand and asked me "hon, havn't you been itching about as long as you've had these underware?" It was like a light went on. He then told me about the latest water cooler talk...the VS bra's. So I found this info and I am wondering if my unerware are affected as well. I bought them at costco. I checked the tag, Spandex and made in china. I am going to go buy all cotton tomorrow and see what happens. I see it takes about 2 weeks to clear up. I am so mad. I have been suffering for so long. I will check back if there is a change. Kim
I, too, experienced an itchy breast from a bra that I purchased from Kohl's.  It has a foam lining.  Before I realized what was going on, I decided that I must have a yeast infection and I started putting vinegar on it 3x a day.  It did go away but I also quit wearing the bras.  Support Safe Bras!!!!
I also have used vs bras for a long time. I buy the body by vs ipex, and the reg ones.I just started getting a rash under my breast and on the skin where the wires sit. I thought it was heat rash. Then just last night, my mom whos 88 said that there a problem with vs bras. I couldnt wait to get on line to find out about this. I guess i didnt connect this to my bras because i have worn, and wash them for months and never had a problem with them,but in the last 2 weeks, this rash has started up.  I really like these bras and they do carry a large price tag. Man, I dont know what im going to do, im very large and so going without isnt evon an option!! Why cant guys have these problems! Thanks for this web site and all the ladies who share this problem
I called Victoria Secret last week (800-945-5088) and was told by a Customer Service Supervisor they would send me a prepaid envelope to return all my VS bras for a full refund.  Today, I received a call from Michelle Sharma of the Victoria Secret claims department.  Ms. Sharma confirmed that the prepaid return envelope is on it's way to me to return all my VS bras in exchange for a full refund.  Ms. Sharma requested me to send her a copy of all my medical bills I have incurred to date relating to the treatment of my rash so Victoria Secret can reimburse me for all out-of-pocket medical expenses.  Here is Ms. Sharma's contact info for all of you that also want reimbursement:  
Attn:  Michelle Sharma (her phone number is 1-800-810-7011; select option #1, then select option #3)
The Limited
3 Limited Parkway
Columbus, OH  43230
not impressed have this issue and will be dealing with it pronto!!!!!!!!
I too got a call from Ms. Sharma after I called and complained about the rash.  I did get a postage paid label in the mail only a few days later. I am thinking, however, if I should  hold on to them for "evidence" in case there is a class action suit. If you send them back, you don't have any evidence at all.  I don't know if I'll join the class action -- I really just want to have a safe bra to wear that doesn't cause horrendous itching and welts -- but still, I haven't cleared up totally from the last outbreak, and I think I may want to hold on to these. VS is being very cautious. When I talked to Ms. Sharma, she did not say anything about any other women with the same problem (and we all know that's not true!).  They need to fess up to this issue and do the right thing.
Today I received the prepaid return envelope from Victoria Secret to return the bras that were causing rashes in exchange for a full refund.  Unfortunately, they did not send anything in writing stating they will refund the money I spent on these bras.  I called Michelle Sharma (VS claims dept.) at 800-810-7011 and she referred me to Dawn Arthur (VS client relations supervisor) at 937-438-4281.  Ms. Arthur stated she would send me a letter stating $42.00 would be refunded to me for each bra returned.  I told her I want a FULL RETAIL REFUND of $56.00 per bra.  She agreed and stated the letter would me mailed to me today.  I'll let you know when that letter arrives.  

Fight for your rights ladies and don't settle for less than full satisfaction!  
I bought BALI bras two weeks ago.  Day before yesterday I began breaking our in a very red, itch and hot rash on both breasts.  Where there is a strip of lining I have no rash BUT everywhere that the foam touches my skin I have large patches that are swollen, red and very hot.  Has anyone else had a problem with BALI? Today my eyes are hot and tearing and the inside of my nose is swollen. I have been put on Prednisone with a topical but so far I have had no relief. I called BALI and they claim that they have not had any other complaints.  I don't think I believe that.  They want me to send them back for a full refund.  I am going to wait for a while in case this doesn't clear up with the medications that my doctor gave me.  I might need them tested.
I have only stumbled upon this news since yesterday.  What really upsets me is that for months I have contributed the cause to myself, bearing the discomfort and shame, while the whole time it was a deliberate act of a company.  

To make matters worse, I had actually traveled to the U.S from Vancouver, Canada, to get these VS bras for my engagement this year.  Needless to say of the subsequent emotional and physical sufferings I went through.

Would anyone please let me know who and where I can contact to join this suit.  It is never right for any company to undermine the consumer's health and to cause pain and suffering for profit.
I thought I was losing my mind until I heard about these bras a few days ago. I live in Canada and was visiting the US over the labour day weekend. I bought a VS bra and a for the past 6 weeks I have been to the ER 4 times. I have been given an antibiotic, a steroid cream, prednisone and I have had to take benadryl every day to ease my symptons. I am in the process of getting allergy testing and bloodwork as I am not able to get rid of my severe allergic symptoms. I have broken out in rashes,hives, welts and have a burning sensation and extreme itching. When I found out about the bra I took it off immediately and searched for others who have been experiencing the same thing. How long does it take for THESE SYMPTOMS TO STOP?
I found other websites also talking about this issues, for anyone interested:
PLEASE READ:
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/discoblog/2008/11/12/why-are-victorias-secret-bras-causing-skin-rashes/  
AND   http://consumerist.com/5084654/class-action-lawsuit-victorias-secret-bras-causing-skin-rashes
(copy and paste in your URL and read).
The lawyers have not called back yet in over a week.  VS is denying any liability to a potential "allergen" and are comparing those of us suffering from this terrible thing to people who might have an allergy to PEANUTS. (my friends can read my journal on my page and see more about this in detail).. but I cannot believe they have NOTHING posted on their website about this.  They are in complete denial that their bras might be contaminted and might be POISONING so many of us. They insist that their tests showed no formaldehyde yet they refuse to publicly disclose the exact contents of those "tests". I have been suffering for four months now and still wonder how long this will take to recover from ... and if I will be permanently scarred. What a nightmare.... has anyone called the BBB yet? Or has any independent consumer textile testing been done that we know of (besides Ms. Roberta Ritter's lawyers)?  We need an advocate...!!!
I am having the same problem with a WACOAL Bra, I called them and they trated me like I was looking for money !  How insulting they were to me and their Consumer affairs department never returned my call.  I am suffering with half my upper body in large welts, thart hurt, throb, so uncomfortable that I want to scream.  Why would anyone make this up, I don';t sleep then I have to go to work, I feel like I am on fire and to touch me know I am so sensitive, all I want is this to go away~~`It is so painful, I have a threshold to stand anything but this is driving me nuts.  I know how everyone else feels, and would like to know if anyone else has a problem with WACOAL<  this is horrible.  Relief is all I want, just to get back to normal.