Allergic to bra
I recently bought a Victoria Secret padded demi bra.  I am also dieting so when my top began to itch I originally associated it with the fact that everything was shrinking.  I spoke with my sister and she told me that she had the same reaction to thier bras.  Is it possible that I am allergic the bra?  The entire breast itches not just the area around the band....what ingredient in the padding would cause this reaction?  I was curious since it seems that several brand are copying their materials.  
Vs is still selling these bras.  I've had 4 rashes in 3 mos. Just purchased a new bra Jun 30 and got rash and symptoms all over again
have difficulty breathing
Are there any class action suits ongoing? Done buying victoria secret. We need someone like Erin Brockovich to plead our cases.  
have difficulty breathing

I recently purchased Victoria Secret Biofit Demi Uplift and just started wearing it and noticed a bad reaction to it . I woke yesterday with a very itchy unsightly dark rash under my breast and cleavage area. Both breast started to itch profusely. To ease some of the itchiness I have been applying cortisone cream and taking Benadryll. This experience has made me lack self confidence. Being an African American woman my concern is not only the itchy rash but the dark scarring and spotting it will leave under my breast. Has anyone contacted Victoria Secret? If so, has any action been taken to rectify the situation? I have made sure to document with photos. You all should so the same.
Oh my gosh - I recently purchased 2 Bali Bras at Kohls and have been suffering like crazy.  So I bought 2 new all cotton no wire Playtex bras.  The rash cleared up about 3 weeks later and I tried to wear the Bali Bra again.  Within 2 hours I was going crazy and the itch just doesn't stop.  I will only wear these ugly Playtex Bra's from now on since we can not trust these manufacturers with our bodies.  I am so glad I googled Bra Rash - otherwise I would feel that I was the only one with this embarrasing problem.
Apparently it's not just the Victoria Secret manufacturer - I too just bought a Bali bra from Macy's and within 2 hours, the symptoms started!  Burning, itching, etc.  I left work and went home to take it off and was amazed at the extent of the redness and inflamation that had already begun (only around where the underwire touches my skin).  It's taken almost one week of going BRA-LESS and putting triple antibiotic ointment on twice a day for it to clear up.  The bra was thrown away ..... don't want to take a chance of accidentally putting it on again; plus since I didn't save the receipt, it wouldn't be worth the trouble of bringing it back.  I don't know why more people haven't complained about this - could it be that only a select few of us are ultra sensitive to whatever is in these bras?
I've been fighting the bra allergy for a couple of years.  The rash turned into full-blown eczema all over my body.  After finally going to the Mayo Clinic, I had allergy patch testing done and found that I am hyper-sensitive to formaldahye and spandex.  Turning to all-cotton underwear where the elastic is completely covered and cotton bras that have all of the stretchy parts covered in cotton is the only thing I can wear any more.  I recently purchased an expensive Wacoal bra as I needed a really great bra to wear under something special, and within hours, I was completely broken out in a rash.  Washing with an allergy free detergent won't help the bra situation if it is the formaldahyde and the spandex in the product that you are allergic to.  Most of the commercial laundry detergents that are "free and clear" still have formaldahyde in the ingredients.  Formaldahyde comes in a number of different names and they aren't listed as formaldahyde per se, they are listed under different technical names.  Find a detergent that is indeed completely free of dyes, perfumes and formaldahyde.  Your food coops will generally have something like this.  By the way, this came on in my late 40s.  My doctor claims that exposure to all of these chemicals finally overwhelms the body and the body can't fight them off any longer.  Formaldahyde can be found in shampoos and conditioners, laundry and dish detergents, and, well, you name it.  Your house is full of it and you don't even know it.  It was a major switch in my lifestyle and constant scrutiny to find products that are free of formaldahyde.  They are out there but you have to hunt for them.  And, they are not the commercial products you find in your local supermarket.  Most fabrics are treated in formaldahyde, therefore the problem with the bras.  The padding in the VS secret bras contain it and you'll never get rid of it, no matter how many times you wash the darned things.  
I have an itchy back where the bra straps are sitting. I was using Daisyfresh bras for 15 years and the style 1064 got discontinued. I loved that bra, it was so natural looking. So, I switched to another brand and now my breast and the back itches a lot.
Louise
Got the itchy, red rash (more like a sunburn than a rash)  on the sides and under sides of my breasts, cleaveage and abdomen about 2 months ago.   At first, I thought it might be from gardening.  It didn't go away.  Seemed to get to worst when I worked out at the gym wearing exercise type clothing.  Tried anti-itch creams...then Hydrocordisone tablets that were prescribed.  The itch went away as did the rash- like symtoms.  Went to the gym a couple of days ago and did Zumba, wearing a top made with spandex.  Within an hour the rash-like symtoms and itch were back. I looked at the labels on my bras (not VS) and they all have spandex in them.  I haven't worn a bra in 2 days and have been wearing my husband's white cotton Ts hoping for relief.  I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what the problem is and thank God I found this forum!  I now know that there are more women out there like me having the same problem.  I am thinking that the problem is the spandex..

Has anyone had a severe reaction to VS's PJ's.  Twenty percent of my body is covered with what looks like rash/sunburn from wearing my new pjs one night.  From my calves upto mu belly button and my forearms upto my armpits and breasts.  Am two dress sizes bigger due to swelling and the pain was awful. Did you know that the garnment business uses formaldyhyde to prevent mildewing during shipping?  I am so angry that VS allowed this awful chemical to get into my body.  And my three bras I bought from VS last September make me itch by the end of the day too.  There's $200 I spent altogether.  I have had to take some serious steroids to reduce my symptoms
VS is not the only ones with this issue....last month I purchased Barely There bras three of them....and I am currently broke out all where the cup area is in the bra....I figured it was the fiber filling or the foam...I've washed them and it still is a problem. gonna pitch them.  using cortizone cream and they still itch.
I have been suffering from welts and severe itching since I bought these two lovely Vanity Fair 'Beautiful Benefits" bras in February 2011. I have treated myself with Gold Bond Medicated Powder, which was no help. I put a medical tape under my breasts and then put the bra on, which helped under that area. I finally went back to my prior bra's this week and the rashes are going away. Searching the internet I found a Chinese company that makes several padded bras. I don't know if they make Vanity Fair.
http://www.globalsources.com/  They might be willing to discuss the subject with a doctor or a lawyer.
I'll keep an eye on this site for future posting. I'm looking for 'healthy' bra manufacturers so keep us informed. Padded may be out of the question. Thanks, ladies. MJB
I recently bought a new Chantelle bra and now have a horrible red itchy rash also. I can't believe the first post is from 2007 and it is now 2011 and we are still having to deal with these horrible products! I'm hoping the rash will go away soon, but I am taking the bra back. It was made in Tunisia.
I have been experiencing bra allergies for over 3 years now. Mine began with some very pretty Bali bras, not VS.

I went to a family doctor, ob/gyn, breast specialist, dermatologist, and an allergy doctor before I got relief from the huge red welts and severe itching. Not one doctor along the way could tell me what was going on. All of them wanted to invite their peers into the examining room to show them my huge, swollen, literally-beet-red, itchy breasts.

I had to research my problem myself, using the internet. Steroids and double doses of antihistamine's were the only products that gave me relief.

For almost 2 years, I wore only thin, cotton bras that were sold at Target. I never had a problem with them. However, Target stopped carrying that bra. So for the past two months I have shopped everywhere for bras. I have purchased, and returned, upwards of 18 bras in the past two months! Every single one of them caused a reaction, including two types that did not contain cups but were made of a spandex-typed material. Bali, Maidenform, Vanity Fair, and others. Every single one of them gave me the welts and rash! I suppose I am forever intolerant of whatever is in them or on them now -- formaldehyde?

The major points I'd like to make are these:

This problem is not isolated to Victoria Secret. There is something in many companies' foreign-manufactured bras that causes severe hives in some people.

Once you have this problem, you may find yourself with a new, lower threshold of "tolerance" (or intolerance?) to the offending chemical or fabric (whatever that offending product is). That intolerance may never go away.

Many doctors do not know about this problem. Even after I reported back to my doctors to tell them what I discovered on the internet -- and that my hives only return if I wear non-cotton bras, they seemed incredulous. Not one of them has ever seen or heard of this problem outside of my experience. And I live in a suburb of a large metropolitan area. These doctors see many, many patients. In other words, up to now, a lot of us are kind of on our own with this problem.
I bought 3 Aerie bras about a month ago. This one padded one that I love, and payed 40 dollars for is now causing those red itchy, burning hives that you guys are talking about. I think it might be the same thing! :(
I had two episodes of allergic reactions to Victoria Secret bras. After visiting a dermatologist and doing tests they confirmed that I am allergic to Cobalt (metal). When my rush cleared I got wire free bra, from VS again. After wearing it for a day I got another allergic reaction. Not sure what in the bra is causing the rush, but it is localized just around my breasts that are covered by the bra. Now I am looking for a cotton bra that would fit and provide support. Hard work. Staying away from VS though. Anyone had similar experience and can recommend good cotton bra?  
Here it is nearly 5 years after the first post.  I just recently started suffering from a hives-like rash on the cup area of my breasts.  One was caused by a Vanity Fair tshirt bra, the most recent (right now) is a Playtex tshirt style bra.  The first one ended up in the trash, the second is headed in the same direction.  It has to be either formaldehyde or the polyurethane in the cups.  I am fine in the straps, back and underwire areas.  The most recent bra was made in Thailand.  
I have suffered severe rash and hives from Warners, Maidenform and Barely There bras.  I always wash the new bras before wearing.  After two days, I have a bright red, very itchy rash and hives where the cups touch my skin.  I have contacted all three manufacturers and of course they deny any problem with their bras; they claim I have an allergy to one of the fibers.  I know that is not the case; I have worn Barely There bras for many years and the old styles of Barely There bras and the new Barely There bras have identical fabric content.  There has to be something toxic they are using to treat the cups.  When I pointed out to Barely There that the fabric content was the same in both the old and the new, they e-mailed me a legal statement and no longer wanted to have conversations with me about what could be a possible cause. Whatever is causing this rash for so many of us is not listed on the tag, so how can we know if they are safe?  We are up against a huge industry.  I have e-mailed Dr. Oz several times as someone with his voice could bring about a change.  Maybe if more would contact him, maybe start a Facebook or Twitter conversation.  I feel strongly that there are many women out there who are suffering but think they are alone.  My family physician and dermatologist have never heard of this problem.  We need a loud voice to bring about a change.  Has anyone found a safe bra?
I told my local VS store about my issue and was told that if I couldn't "wash out the problem" that they would give me credit to find something else.
I also have had issues with bras. I am wondering if it is just the padding. I had a Warners bra that I loved, but was wearing out. I purchased a new one (same style) and broke out severly.  I went to VS and bought 2 new bras (body) and broke out again.  After 3 painful itchy rashes, prednisone, and alot of cortisone cream, I figured out it must be the padding.  I will also try to get Dr Oz's attention.  There has to be some regulations on clothing , isn't there?
I just recently started buying VS bras and I became such a fan of the support and look that I bought 7 in the last six months.  Then this month the rash started.  I had no idea what was going on until I did what others stumbled on and wore something else which in my case was my running bras.  Then I got online and read the issues around VS bras.  I guess I am going back to my old playtex versions unless someone can tell me something they have found that doesn't seem to produce the same reaction while providing support and beauty!

I am rationale person and do not doubt that it could be a unique reaction to an allergen and not a reaction to a toxin but it does bear merit that so many are sharing the same issue. When I read some of the comments about formaldehyde I thought of my reaction to working over a pan of benthic invertebrates that were soaked in the chemical as a lab assistant in college. Just like this issue it did not begin immediately, which we know is not uncommon with allergic reactions.  And since at different doses formaldehyde is most certainly toxic it doesn't seem like exposing myself to the chemical even in low dosages over a long period of time is smart.

I will follow this issue but for now does anyone have any other purchasing solutions?  VS has told me I can bring the items back for a credit which I plan to do today.
I haven't had allergic reactions to Victoria Secret Bras but have had reactions to Ambrielle bras sold at JCPenney stores.  I found a temporary solution by putting surgical tape inside the cups.  I am still looking for something more permanent but until I find it, this seems to be keeping me itch-free.  I also alternate bras so it gives my skin time to recover from the reaction to the latex.  Hope this helps.  Good luck ladies!
Since the cup area is the only part of the bra that causes this rash, I decided to try finding an un-lined bra.  This was a little hard to find, especially since I need a small cup size and most un-lined are in bigger cup sizes.  I did finally find a style that worked and have worn them for a few weeks with no rash.  Hooray!!  I much prefer some lining in the cups for wearing under certain garments, but at least I have a safe bra for now.

I would love to know how many others are dealing with this terrible rash.  I am going to write letters to some news networks to see if they will pick this up and investigate.  We need a centralized place for woman to report this problem in order to bring about a change.
Adding to my last post --

The un-padded bra that is working for me has been discontinued so I can't get more.  The cups on it are nylon and spandex.  Back to shopping for another unpadded bra.  Smaller cup sizes are hard to find in unpadded.  I did find a Fruit of the Loom cotton and spandex underwire bra at Walmart and am having no problem.  Hooray!!  (Bonus, it only costs $7.97!) .  Avoiding the cup padding seems to do the trick.  I am still pursuing getting the message out to try to bring about a change and get safe bras on the market.  
I suffered severe injury to my skin from a reaction to chemicals in a Warners bra. They do not own up to the fact that they use toxic chemicals in the manufacture of bras. Warner's tried to tell me nothing was wrong with their bras, but I have photos to prove otherwise. And it happened twice, because they sent me a different replacement bra which I didn't ask for and didn't want. But kept assuring me that it would not hurt me and that I should wash it before wearing it. Finally I tried it and was injured all over again.
As you say - these companies should have to tell us what chemicals they are putting into their fabrics. Or, at least have a warning label, so we know to stay away. But this whole issue is covered up and the manufacturers act like something is wrong with the user, when it is the chemicals that are the problem.
The reactions to contaminants in bras continue!!!! I began reacting to my Chantelle bras last fall. It took me awhile to isolate the cause to my lovely and expensive "Parisian" lingerie but I am certain the bras are what are causing my really uncomfortable rash. After trial & error, discarding a bra I thought had suddenly become contaminated, buying new ones, and having additional reactions.... just as all who have posted have suffered, I am determined to take action. The only thing that subdues my allergic reaction is Prednisone (which is not a fun medication!), which I've had to take 4 courses of over the past 4 months. I contacted Nordstrom and Chantelle. It took a couple of weeks to get a reply from Chantelle but after I emailed the representative photos of my alarmingly welted and inflamed breasts I'm seeing what I hope is action from Chantelle. If I'm not convinced they are taking this seriously I WILL file a lawsuit. My biggest worry is the formaldehyde/cancer connection. I am not an alarmist or a litigious person but we all have to advocate for ourselves and for other women.
I have been having the same problem since December.  If I wear my new Vanity Fair Black bra made in Thailand one day, the next day it looks like I am wearing a red bra on both breast that is a perfect impression of the VF black bra.  I have seen a dermatologist and my OBGYN.  The prescriptions treat the symptoms but they come back when I wear the bra just one day.  I've only worn it twice and I've never experienced anything like this before.  The problem does not appear to be isolated to the brand but possibly the country or region that they are manufactured.
Why are companies allowed to sell toxic clothing to consumers? What chemicals are impregnated into the materials which cause these chemical burns to the skin?
I have written several letters to try to bring about a change and ask that you do the same.  If they hear from several people it will help get their attention. I wrote to Lester Holt, Andrea Canning and Hoda Kotb and NBC, 30 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10112; Robin Roberts, ABC News, 47 West 66th St., New York, NY 10023;  e-mailed Dr. Oz at ***@****.  I brought to their attention that this is happening with many brands so seems to be industry wide and asked that they help investigate, give women a place to report the problem so we can see just how wide-spread this is, and then to help bring about a change to get safe bras back on the market.

I also wrote a letter to Richard A. Noll, Chairman and CEO, Hanesbrands, Inc., 1000 East Hanes Mill Road, Winston Salem, NC 27105, since Barely There has been my favorite brand for many years but is one of the brands that is now causing the skin reaction.  Hanes also manufactures Bali, Hanes ad Playtex bras.  I explained the problem and asked that he be a leader and produce safe bras.

Please take the time to send letters.  If you have an suggestions of people or organizations we can contact to help the cause, please let me know.
In my last post the website did not allow the e-mail address for Dr. Oz to be displayed.  This is the address if you replace "at" with the @ sign:

viewerfeedback "at" zoco.com

First of all I can't believe this thread has been going on since 2008! I also can't believe with all of these posts nothing has changed in all of these years!

I am just now getting these horrible rashes, but not from new bras! These are all bras that are a couple of years old. None of them the same manufacturer. None have underwires. A couple of weeks ago I got this rash. It is horrible. I knew immediately it was my bra becasuse it was only on my breast where the cup touches. I have not changed my detergent, soap, shampoo you name it. I have tried the 3 different bras.After I go braless for a week or so and the rash clears up, then just a couple of hours of wearing ,and the rash is back worse then ever! It wakes me when I'm sleeping. Sometimes in public I have to go to the restroom so I can scratch my breasts! I'm in such misery.

How can this go on for so many years and nothing be done! I have obviously taken a while to build up an intolerence to whatever is in the bras. You can get away with no bra and layer clothes in the winter, but not easy in the summer.

I agree, we need to write letters, but Dr. Oz would be great because his voice is heard by so many!
I am still writing letters and hope that all of you will please do the same.  Today I wrote to The Doctors, 5555 Melrose Ave., Mae West Building, Second Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90038.

Hopefully we can get someone's attention at NBC, ABC, Dr. Oz or The Doctors.
I have written another letter.  This one went to Toni Gerber Hope, Health Director, Good Housekeeping Magazine, 300 West 57th Street, New York, NY 10019.

I am trying to be optimistic that someone will help us!
I bought a 3-pack of Fruit Of The Loom racer back sports bras from Walmart last week. Never having broken out before, I thought nothing of it when I just detached the tags and put one of the bras on without washing. After just a few days, the entire undersides of my breasts and the band area across the front of my rib cage has broken out into a very dark red rash. Some areas are like prickly bumps, other areas are dark patches. The itching is intense, as bad as any poison oak/ivy that I have ever had years ago. As I write this, I am dying to scratch it. It wakes me at all hours of the night. My breasts look like they are being eaten up by some form of chemical (although there are no open wounds or oozing .. yet). I have had this intense rash for several days now. I've put anti-fungal cream on it, calamine lotion on it and now I am attempting to use A&D diaper rash ointment. Nothing seems to bring down the intensity of the itch or the redness. So I will try and wait it out as long as possible and see if it gets better over the next few weeks. As long as it does not spread or develop any severe symptoms, The only thing I can think of is that the sports bra fabric had something in it that I developed an allergic reaction to (it is hot where I live and I was sweating a good bit during the time I wore them). This itch is driving me nuts! I've never endured anything like this before nor do I know of any other women in my family who have experienced it. It's scary going through something like this alone .. and the mere sight of these dark red patches all under my breasts doesn't make the situation any easier to cope with :(
Good Luck to you. I'm sure you will let us know if you hear from anyone. I have permanent chemical burns on the skin under my bra. I have tried for 2 years to get someone at Warner's to take responsibility for putting these toxic chemicals in our intimate clothing. But they just stonewall and say it is not the fault of the bra.
OMG!!  I have been to my dr. then a dermatologist and an allergist... and no one could tell me the problem just "dermatitis"  I had to be put on prednisone for so long that it had lowered my immune system so much that my ear got a bad infection and my eardrum actually ruptured.  I now know like the last commenter it was due to my bra from Walmart.  The bra that caused the issues for me was not from VS so I think they are putting chemicals in our bras in several of the big stores.  What can we do except quit buying them!!  I went through so much over a stupid bra it's absoultley outrageous these big companies care more about the bottom line profit than the consumers!
We should certainly have laws which prohibit unsafe toxic chemicals from being impregnated into our intimate clothing. Because that's exactly what these companies are doing. It happened to me with a Warner's bra. They absolutely refuse to take any responsibility for poisoning our bodies. These chemicals seep through the skin and get into our bloodstreams. They know this and continue to do it.
I did not get responses to any of the letters I wrote.  Disappointing.  I sure was hoping that one of the news networks or Dr. Oz might look into this.  Without a way for all of us who are having a problem to band together and show how many women this is affecting, nothing will change.  

Please spread the word as much as you can.  It may seem embarrassing, but it is so important.  Facebook, Twitter, writing letters, etc.  Maybe eventually someone will see how many women this is hurting and help bring about a change.  

Any other suggestions?
I was able to find underwire bras with no padding that are not causing any skin reaction.  I have worn them for several months with no problem at all.   I sure wish I could wear bras with a little bit of padding for discretion, but I won't risk buying any more.

In one of my conversations with a representative at Barely There, she recommended that if I wanted padding to get ones with fiberfill rather than foam padding as they have not had problems reported with that.  They are hard to find and the only one of those that I found did not fit me at all.  

Makes me angry that the manufacturers know that the foam padding is toxic to many of us but they continue to use it.
I went to the doctor with this "rash".  I was skeptical when he said it was an allergic reaction to something in my bras because I haven't bought a new bra in about a year.  I had alternated between various Lane Bryant bras.  Reading your comments, I believe him now since many said that the bras that they were wearing were not new.  I am trying cortisone cream (OTC) and taking Benedryl to see if it helps.  I go without a bra when I am at home alone to see if it will help.  Does anyone have any new information or advice?
The companies that make these bras need to be held accountable for poisoning our bodies. Keep telling everyone you know that toxic chemicals are impregnated into our bras and it migrates through our skin. This is serious business and is completely ignored by the industry and by government.
I like to wear cotton bra, which made me feel very comfortable. I think the less modification will bring more comfort. Although I only 75A, but I firmly believe that the most simple is the best.PS, I am a Chinese girl.
I recently purchased two Calvin Klein strapless bras, both gave me massive red itchy raised welts on the area where there is a clear rubber. Not sure whether this is caused by the bra rubbing against my skin all day, or whether its because I'm allergic to something in that material.
Never had an issue with the rubber in other bras, all I know is, I've going to stay over from CK bras for a while, and I should stay away from VS bras judging from the comments above!
I just realized that my Vanity Fair bra is the culprit for my breast rash and searched the internet to see if anyone else had experienced this - WOW!  I really can't believe that this has been going on since 2008 and involves many different brands.  My bra was made in Indonesia.  The tag says that the cups are 78% nylon and 22% spandex.  Additional searching turned up many hits linking fabrics to formaldehyde.  

Has anyone found a brand that is natural and doesn't cause this problem?  I am a 38DD and it is difficult to find a bra with support that doesn't have spandex.
I have broken out from Barely There bras and the cup is made from polyurethane. This must be like the formaldehyde in the others. I can't believe this is still going on for this many years and the manufacturers don't fix the issue.
I have recently bought a 2 sizes bigger bra from Asda and have had the most horric red rash that looks like a burn all over and beneathmy breasts, actually in a bra shape. It itched it burned and spread rapidly, it actually started with just an inccesant itch that I ignored until this broke out. Doctors had no clue, but put me on antifungal cream...no good...tried antibiotics, which seemed to work, but at the same time I had been braless for 4 days, so it could have been that...I am going to see a dermatologist next week, I'm no doctor, but I think it is contact dermatitis, mainly because the rash was bra shaped, obvious really. It is going now, but been braless for over a week, I am scared of it coming back, but I wil try an old bra....I cut open the bra, to find foam rubber in it! And mad in Sri Lanka
I have experienced contact dermatitis for nearly 3 years.  It is driving me crazy.  Lately though, it has been significantly worse.

I wear SOMA bras, have crowns and have an allergy to chromium.  THe rash is worst around the under wire area and on my shoulders.

HELP, this stuff is driving me crazy!  I've already tried every cortizone, anti-itch cream and take antihistimine daily.
have you found any relief with any new bras?
Gail101, I wore a Vanity Fair bra for about 4-5 hrs and got a bad allergic reaction, are you still willing to do a test on the bra?  Please let me know, thank  you!
I bought two JCP Ambrielle bras last week, wore one, and within hours developed a rash around my ribcage. The rash has spread to my back and abdomen. At first it didn't itch, but it sure does now! I pegged the bra almost instantly and began my search online to find if this has happened to anyone else. I am ticked off that this problem still exists.
OMG. I have been suffering with a body rash for almost a year and done allergy testing, seen 4 dermatologists and allergists, and still trying to figure out why I'm still having reactions after cutting out what I'm supposedly allergic to. Finally it dawned on me that what is a constant in my life are bras, undies, shapewear, and gym attire, all made with similar materials -- spandex, lycra, etc.  I was tested for formaldehyde and it was negative.  I know that rubber accelerates are also something many are allergic to.