Allergy Community
Allergic to cold air

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Allergic to cold air

I have been suffering for the past 3 years with what seems to be an allergic reaction to cold weather. When the weather begins to turn cold and the humidity decreases I get very congested and asthma. It comes on strong at dusk when the temperature starts to go down. I am a runner and I get asthma while running below about 50 or so degrees. Seems to be getting worse each year.
For the running I have found that if I wear a neck gator or a "buff" up over my mouth relieves the asthma.
I have not seen much information on being allergic to the cold and thus the only viable solution I have come up with is to move to Hawaii.
I just read this, and I have the same problem: whenever the weather gets cold, my allergies and skin problems get much worse too.

I would really like an answer as well.
Asthma can react to weather/climate changes.  It isn't an allergy, just a reaction to the cold air.  Warm lungs don't like the invasion of the cold air and sieze up, at least that is what it feels like when mine do it.  

Another friend highly recommends the neck gators for out door exercizing in colder weather.  Another option is to plan your exercise when it isn't quite as cold, or opt for an indoor form of exercise.  

A move could have its own issues with new pollen allergies or weather issues like humidity and heat.  Any kind of weather can trigger attacks, although most people do react to just one.  If you are seriously considering moving, I suggest that you take several vacations to your chosen location at different times of the year before you actually transplant yourself and your family.  I react to all changes and can generally adapt if it isn't extreme.  

Take care. I hope that helped you some.
Hi, welcome to the forum, bronchial asthma is usually exaggerated or precipitated during cold season or timing. This condition is sometimes associated with running nose. The triggering factors like dust, fog, pollens etc. can cause the precipitation of these symptoms. An allergy test and pulmonary function tests will help to rule out the cause.

Treatment of bronchial asthma constitutes use of appropriate bronchodilators in the form of inhalation against prescription. A trial 2-3 weeks will help to reduce symptoms. Change of place esp. to warm climate will help. You can use bronchodilators against prescription just before the running. It can be exercise induced asthma.

I suggest you to consult physician for initial evaluation. Take care and regards.
What if it isn't asthma that gets worse?
My skin usually gets a lot more irritated during the cold, and my eczema worsens greatly.
What could be the reason for this?

Thank you