Allergies, sinus infection and dizziness
In May I began to have dizzy spells which coincided with a sore throat and earache, which cleared up on their own. However, dizziness and fatigue continued for several weeks. The dizziness resembled being carsick, with lightheadedness and occasional moments of nausea and feeling faint (but I never passed out).  I had a CAT scan and blood work twice, and so far no diagnosis for the dizziness/fatigue.  It got better for a few weeks but last week I began to have dizzy spells again, this time accompanied by maxillary sinus pressure.  I had just switched allergy medications, from Nasonex to generic Flonase, right at the time my symptoms returned.  Could allergies have led to a sinus infection?  Can the sinus infection cause dizziness and fatigue?

Due to the holiday weekend I haven't been able to call my doctor, but after 3 prior visits he's never suggested sinuses to be a cause.
Thanks for the info. I myself got tested for inhalant allergies today, and it appears that I have none. This is quite odd because a year and a half ago, I used to be allergic to mixed trees at least. So my doctor is now quite certain that this is vasomotor rhinitis (non-allergic rhinitis). But he also thinks something triggered it in the first place and his theory is that it was a sinus infection.

I had had a cold a few weeks before all my dizziness symptoms started so it is quite possible that I had an infection even though I didn't have any sinus symptoms. He ordered a CT scan.

Now granted this may not last very long but I actually started feeling a lot better yesterday afternoon; in fact I went out today and despite the rainy weather, I did not feel dizzy. Yesterday morning I finished a 10-day dose of clindamycin for a tooth infection and that seems to have done the trick.

I had used Zithromax for 5 days a month ago for a sore throat but that didn't affect the dizziness. The allergist's interpretation for this is that either Zithromax was not the right type of antibiotic or the 5-day treatment was not enough. Depending on the result of the CT scan, I might have to continue taking antibiotics.

This was actually a very good doctor, so I do trust him. And he didn't think I was insane, he had an "I've seen it all" attitude. Beyond the infection, he explained that the treatment for vasomotor rhinitis varies greatly. For instance rhinocort spray made me feel a lot worse even though it works on other people. I already know high doses of antihistamines work on me so he told me to continue taking those and prescribed a salt water mist for my nose. At this point, it is a matter of finding what works and in the meantime clearing out any infection that might still be in my body.

I hope this helps.
See, the ENT Dr. told me too many antibiotics are being prescribed and make it worse!  And....my GP told me sinus infections are becoming resistent to Zithromax (I had taken 2 rounds before he gave me Keflex and when no better did the CT and referred me to the ENT).  My ENT diagnosis is non allergic rhinitis, too.  Rhinocort made me worse.  I think.  At least no better.  Anyway, you're right, it's finding what works.  I question those allergy tests - becauase I think most people are allergic to things.  And I didn't have big whelps or itch or anything, although there was little bumps like where she stuck the needles in, and to me that's about as big as they were.  I'm a skeptic I guess.  I did not take my Singulair today because it says if you're taking for allergy problems to take in the morning, and since I took it after 3:00 yesterday because that's when the allergy testing nurse told me to take it (after the test so it would help me) I didn't want to take it early and overlap.  So I'm skipping today and will start in the morning.  Again, the weird thing is...I feel absolutely 100% normal today.  And it is raining on and off.  If I had taken it I would think it helped.  (Even though they said it takes about a month.)  And I did not even start the NasalCrom. I know I'm getting better as time goes by....because August, September, October, I could not function at all.  But it is slow.  I don't know if this was a bad year...or like you, my sinus got messed up and it turned into that, my  immune system was stressed and couldn't fight it off.  Anyway....I hope we continue to get better!!!!  Thanks for writing back with the info.
Hmm, my sudden recovery didn't last that long...
I was so excited about feeling better that I went to the supermarket, something I hadn't been able to do much lately. The cheese section got me! I don't get it, I am not supposed to have allergies!?! I started to feel really dizzy and numb all over, I don't know how I made it back home.
I am surprised about your allergy tests, I had small raised dots on at least 6 of the points and they itched like crazy but the nurse said I didn't have any allergies. I thought perhaps I had to have a real big dot for them to consider it to be an allergy.
Back to square one? Pffft.
It sounds like you might be having a panic attack!!!  You know, when you are stressed, not sure if you can get through the store, haven't been for a while...even though you're not thinking about the stress, even if at the time you're feeling ok,  the feelings you had, that sounds just like it!  I'm not saying you don't have your sinus or other problems, but those are symptoms of a panic attack.  Talk to  your Dr. and see if he'll give you something for that.  I take Xanax. Remember, I'm not a doctor, but I've had panic disorder for over 18 years!
I posted but it didn't show up so I hope I'm not repeating myself, trying again.

That doesn't make sense about your bumps raising and itching and you not allergic, and I never itched, and me allergic.  Who knows.

What you just described sounds like a panic attack!!!!  Not allergies in the cheese department!  Please talk to your dr. and see if he will prescribe something for panic disorder (I take Xanax) and see if that helps.  They happen when you least expect, stressed or not, and since you've been down so long and not been able to go, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if that's not what it was.
That's interesting about the allergies.  I don't know much about allergies although I'm eventually wanting to see an ENT or allergist about the sinus problems I'm having.

Last Wednesday the pain on the left side of my face, in the maxillary sinus and around my eye, was horrific.  Just awful, I was crying all day and of course no doctor's office was open.  Friday I called the on-call emergency number for my doctor and the on-call doc suggested Zithromax.  I finished my 5 days of Zithromax yesterday and it's helped, the pain is gone and I have some energy back, but this doesn't feel like a permanent fix.  There's too many other symptoms that it didn't address at all.

I went to my GP on Monday and he's just no help.  He suggested nasal rinses which I already do, and even gave me a prescription for saline solution!  What doctor thinks saline solution needs a script?!  He also suggested Mucinex (guaifenesin) which I took today and which helped drainage but only for a couple of hours.

My GP insisted it wasn't time for an ENT.  Very frustrating.  He seemed to think this wasn't the same problem I've been having since May, like he thought I just had several small sinus infections and not one eight-month-long illness.
A panic attack can last for minutes or hours.  You have to kind of talk to yourself, relax yourself, make yourself not be paranoid. You're not going to die!  I take Xanax every day of my life!  Could not drive anywhere by myself, would have to pull off the road and wait, then try again, having to leave my buggy at the store and get out of there.  My heart would race, left arm went numb, hands tingle, short of breath.  Face would heat up like you painted circles on my cheeks.  I indeed thought I was having a heart attack, thought I would pass out.  I was put on 3 a day, then weaned myself to 2, then 1, but since my mom passed away in May...and since all this allergy/sinus bit, I'm back to 2 a day.  If I'm going to shop or out to eat, I'll take a half of one before. You just have to not let it get to you.  I try to stay away from crowded places, and places that are hot/no air flowing.  If you want to shop...go.  If you start feeling weird, just talk to yourself, telling yourself you'll be fine, get some air, sit down, get your mind on something else.  But by all means make sure you're checked by your Dr. so that you're sure it's not something else.  

I think the cold weather will kill most of the allergies (except all my dust inside)...and hopefully next year won't be so bad.  I am definitely doing better now.  I hope it continues.  I think you are on the mend...but probably not trusting, which seems to be when the panic attacks start.  

Keep in touch.
Thanks for the post. I am indeed entertaining the idea that it was a panic attack, how long are they supposed to last?
I took an antihistamine (just in case) and lied down for a while; after an hour things were getting back to normal, I was able to go on the internet, walk around, etc. But suddenly it got worse and I got a splitting headache in addition, so I ended up in e.r. :(
It took 6 hours for the heart rate to drop to below 100 and the blood pressure to normal levels. Apparently I had a low grade fever but no infections. My heart was checked 3 months ago, so I guess this might indeed have been a panic attack. They need to find a new name for this because it feels too real to believe it is all psychological.
As for the allergies, after reading your comments, I decided to get the blood tests done. I just want to be as sure as it is possible. And I did wonder whether the tachycardia was a delayed allergic reaction to the skin test but it was a good 7 hours after the test when things started.
I'd better not miss the after christmas sales because of all this! :P
P.S. Do you have to take xanax all the time or only when you feel a panic attack coming?
Once again, these doctors just aren't getting it, are they?  I don't know what to tell you!  You can buy NasalCrom over the counter - that's what I'm using, along with Singulair which is prescription.  But...I got stopped up today at work and used one spray of the NasalCrom and actually got over it and it didn't throw me into the whole face pain thing.  Maybe you could try it.  I think we've all tried everything else.  What's $15 more dollars at this point.
Well, here I thought I was doing better...but just had a horrible dizzy spell and face started hurting.  Don't know whether it was just going to happen anyway, or if it's a reaction to Singulair since I've started them and one side effect is dizziness.  Always something!  Depressing.
It is August 25, 2007, are you guys still posting or interested in posting your latest results? I am new to this site and noticed 11-2006 was the last posting. Would love to share info if you guys are still active with this site.
all sinus sufferers should try some of these theraputic massage like techniques

http://www.distanthealer.co.uk/sinus_chart.htm
I am not sure if this will help everyone, but i feel compelled to give you some information that might help you after reading your comments and seeing similarities.  
Several years ago I started to have headaches, stuffiness in my sinuses, and a feeling of being drunk (delayed vision is the best way to describe it).  The delayed vision was the worst of all the symptoms.  I went to my family practitioner and he felt it was sinus related and put me on Claritin.  That seemed to help, but the worst symptom would occasionally manifest itself and that was really affecting my concentration and focus at work.  I decided to see an ENT surgeon and after months of trying antibiotics, antihistamines, steriods, etc... He sent me for a CT and he noticed I was really blocked up.  I was so happy.  I know that sounds weird, but for the first time I thought I was going to rid myself of this curse.  I decided to have sinus surgery, and unfortunately the worst symptom persisted.  I subsequently went to an allergist, neurologist, neurosurgeon, opthamologist,  vascular specialist and my uncle who knows everything...  All tests negative.  I went back to my ENT surgeon, who at this point was as determined as I was to get rid of this torment. After quite a bit of trial and error with many medications, he recommends a Dexamethasone spray to be used twice a day.  Although I had to go to a special pharmacy to get this spray, because they make it there, it was not expensive.  I also suspected that i had some form of food/drink allergy and began depriving myself of coffee and alcohol.  
The end result is that I eliminated coffee and alcohol (as much as i can) and do the nasal spray with the daily claritin and I feel better than I have felt in a long time.

Hope this information is helpful to some, if not all of you.
I too have had troubles with my sinuses for some years now,  To the point had teeth pulled that were in pain and thought the tooth was bad, turns out the sinus above the tooth was causeing the trouble. But the thing that haves me wondering is, I stop useing my cell phone a few week ago and now I'm starting to feel better and my sinus are runing and clearing up.  Do you think that haveing a cell phone up next to you head could cause troubles in your sinus and other things in your head? with the 100's of people useing there cell phone every day . had any one tested and see if it's causeing troubles ? I'm starting to think that we will find out that haveing RF next to are heads no matter how low the power is , will still cause troubles.. What do others think?
Feeling dizzy can be related to an inner ear infection.
I am so frusturated as well with these symptoms. off kilter, tight forehead, concentration issues, post nasal drip. Antibiotics are just not cutting it.

I've tried zithromax, levaquin, augmentum, and now on avalox.
antibiotics often are not enough

nasal steroids and nasal saline rinse help too
I'm dizzy most of the times i've been like that for the past two years, i went to the doctors twice and they said, i have vertigo and the the last time i went they said that my problem was the i worry to much, he said (you are going to live 100 years but know since you worry to much you only going to live 99 so go home and don't worry if was something serious you would'nt last this long with this symtoms, so I stop going to get some help and know i cry every day because i dont stop been dizzy I'm scared of going to get tested I don't want to find out something is really wrong, but I know there is only one person better than any doctor that could cure me and that is GOD I'm glad he exist so when i get cure without any help from the doctors I will come back and let you know the power of GOD, when you have tried everything, and it does not work try 3 in 1 person.      
Your comments are very interesting, and I can relate to most of them. Have been suffering from dizziness, nausea, one-sided facial pressure, pressure on back of skull and occasional diarrhea and stomach upset since July 2007.
Had thyroidectomy in September, saw GI doctor for intestinal problems after that; had upper and lower endoscopy done, which came back normal. Was put on Clidinium for the stomach problems, and they seemed to subside, but just came back recently. Started taking Clidinium again today. Have had allergy testing done in the meantime, and will start taking shots next week. Still not sure about what causes the problems, but hope that the shots will help. I am allergic to cats, dogs (which I have two of), dusts, molds, different grasses. I have been very sensitive to fluorescent lights, which doesn't help, since I work in this environment. Oh, also have been on Amoxicillin for possible fluid in one ear, and Singulair. Saw chiropractor last week, and he confirms that the pressure in back of the head definitely would be related from sinus pressure, which MDs usually don't acknowledge. He says to go for the allergy shots, which should take care of the problems. I have to say that I had similar problems about 15 years ago, started on allergy shots at the time, and it definitely changed my life for the better  after that .... dizziness went away, and I felt like a newborn. Hope therefore that the shots that I will be starting next week will take care of everything again. They are definitely better than all the medications that you may put in your system. Won't have all the annoying side-effects.
Good luck to everybody! Will let you know what I come up with.
Add me to the list... I've been dizzy for the past 4 months and my GP and ENT don't know why.  I had a CT scan done of my sinuses and it showed a bit of inflamation but not enough for surgery and the ENT didn't think that would cause dizziness.  I had a VNG (videonystagmography) done last week and won't find out the results until tomorrow.  I tried taking clarinex and nasonex but that didn't help.  Then tried a 5 day course of prednisone and that didn't help.  I am so tired of feeling like this and all I want to do is go to sleep.  I thought it was possibly my teeth and had root canals done and crowns redone - to rule out infection and that wasn't the cause.  My life is passing me by and I can't enjoy it!  Sorry for ranting but I just don't know if I can stand it much longer.  The congestion and ear pressure get so bad and the dizziness happens no matter what I am doing.  I feel like my face is full of cotton and the doctor just shakes his head like I'm making it all up.  I'm so frustrated.