Allergy Community
Allergies and Weird Smell In Nose

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Allergies and Weird Smell In Nose

So every since not last Friday, but the Friday before that when the trees decided to start having sex again for the second time this year here in Pennsylvania, I have been struggling with my allergies more and more. Not last weekend but the weekend before my nose got really stuffed up and I began coughing a lot. Basically it felt like a constant drip of mucus down the back of my throat that I had a lot of trouble coughing up. During that week I took a lot of Benadryll Allergy and Mucenex to try and break up the mucus in my head. It worked very well and now I am coughing up very loose stuff that is at least exiting my head until the pollen calms down. Most of my mucus is either clear or has a slight green tint to it and can be very thin at times or very thick at other times. Last Friday I wanted to do a good clean sweep of my head and do one spray of Flonase (Fluticasone Propionate) in each nostril. The stuff knocks my sense of smell and taste out for about a day but it has always worked very well for me. At least it has until now. I'm not sure if it's just my allergies or what, but I now have this constant weird smell in my nose that I can't tell if it's from the mucus or maybe a slight infection or something (which I wouldn't doubt). It's pretty difficult to describe the smell. I could only describe it as a slightly bitter smell but even that doesn't describe it too well. It's just very odd. It seems to go away for a bit if I blow my nose but as soon as mucus build back up in it again it seems to come back. I haven't had any headaches or any other symptoms besides just a stuffed up nose and the coughing up flem (phlegm). But could this be an infection or something?

Tomarrow I am going to see a doctor for a TB test that my college requires for it's medical paperwork. At the same time I'm going to ask him about my symptoms of whatever this is. I feel absolutely fine except for the congestion and coughing, so I'm pretty puzzled here. Any ideas or thoughts?

I really appreciate any help. =)
You have got allergic rhinitis. You need to keep taking 1 tablet cetrizine twice daily till your symptoms are not relieved. It you find that your mucus is getting green or yellow, start taking capsule amoxycillin 1 acpule 3 times daily for aroiund 5 days.