Allergy Community
Allergies or Spider Bite?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Allergies or Spider Bite?

My friend woke up the other day with a swelling bump on her lip.  It looks kind of like a spider bite because it has a slight abrasion on it.  She went to the Dr. and the told her it was a cold sore.  She has taken the antibiotics perscribed and even benadryl.  the swelling has gone down a litlle bit but it is stll noticeable.  I have broken out in hives which has caused swelling on my lip before, is it the same type of reaction??  
I cannot confirm you without examination about the spider bite as local reactions to bites from all manner of toxic bugs look the same: redness, swelling,itching and pain.
where as i would suggest to continue antibiotics atleast for five days and OTC antihistaminics like benadryl or zyrtec along with it.
however in your case hives are a reaction of the body's immune system that causes areas of the skin to swell, itch, and become reddened. (The affected areas are called wheals.) When the reaction is limited to small areas of the skin, it is called urticaria. Involvement of larger areas, such as whole sections of a limb, is called angioedema.
Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted.
Well i found out that my friends bump was a spier bite and a fever blister.  This caused  her to itch all over her face and fatigue.  As far as my hives i have been getting them on and off for about 6 months.  but it comes and goes varying on stress and other allergies.  i have tried hydrocortizone and benadryl and yet they seem keep appearing.  i don't get them that bad just in certain places.  
my dauighter gets huge welts/hives from spider bite .. the last one was the size of her ankle ... very painful but benadryl (oral) did the trick .. she had to take it for several days.