Allergy Community
Allergies or something else?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Allergies or something else?

I have been having trouble for the last four months and can't seem to figure out what is causing my symptoms.  It all started in February, I took my wife out just before valentines day.  I was fine all day, but upon entering the restaurant and sitting down I had a strange dizzy/nausea/pass out type feeling that lasted a few seconds then went away.  We ate, left, and the same sensation came a bit later while shopping.  Since then, over the last four months for most of the day I have a slight off balance sensation, the nausea feeling off and on, sometimes once or twice a day, other days not at all, and feel pretty much normal.  I have noticed my ears popping more often, but no pain, and belching at times that I normally wouldnt, such as after waking up in the morning before eating or drinking anything since the night before.  

I did see a doctor at an after hours clinic back in March and he said he thought my problem was post nasal drip and that was somehow affecting my ear and also causing the nausea.  He advised me to take mucinex d.  I tried a box and it didnt seem to help.  I dont know if I have an allergy to something, or if there is something more serious going on.  Those are my only symptoms and the only time that I had any relief from them for more than a day or two was when I went on vacation for a week in February to Hilton Head Island.  

I thought maybe the reason for that is because I got away from whatever I was allergic to, but I recently spent 4 days in NC and the symptoms persisted there as well.  Any ideas?

You could be having sinusitis or rhinitis. Do you have associated symptoms of cough, wheeze, breathlessness, post nasal drip etc?

You should try steam inhalation, saline nasal drops and oral antihistamine medications for your complaints and see if it helps with the symptoms.

You should see your doctor and get a clinical examination for a diagnosis and to evaluate if any investigations are required including blood tests, chest xray and CT scan of the sinuses.

Are you allergic to any specific substances or have had allergic reactions in the past?

You could read the following link -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinusitis

Let us now about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Regards.