Allergies that begin day of menstral period - Why?
Hi, I'm 25 and I have just started having issues with allergies during my period. I wake up with a bad sinus drip in the back of my throat - then later that same day, my period starts. This has been the norm since November 2011. The allergies turn into coughing and congestion for the duration of my period and linger after for a while. When I'm like this I have also noticed that I can sleep for very long periods of time. I assume my body is trying to deal with what's going on and heal itself, but I'm not sure.
My doctor prescribed nasal spray (as she concluded it was probably allergies), but after about a month or two, it caused nose bleeds, so I discontinued. I saw an allergist yesterday - but all that was done was a skin test to identify the common household things I may be allergic to. He seemed to have not heard of my problem before.
I'm scheduled to see my MD in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if I should ask her to test my blood for anything specific? To me, this is obviously hormonal - as nothing has changed in my behavior, eating, or medications. It almost seems to be auto-immune.
Since this has only been happening for a few months - I would like to find out what's wrong and get it fixed - as it's miserable and tiring to live like this every single month.
Hi g
Hi girlyQ.
Welcome to the forum.

You were right to point out hormonal involvement.
I have a suspicion of what's going on.
It is hormonal, and you may be allergic to your own hormones
while on your menstrual cycle!

I read a study recently form the University of Texas:
"Evidence Of Estrogen And Progesterone Hormone Allergy Discovered".

The researchers published their findings in the March 27, 2006 issue of the American Journal of Reproductive Immunology.

"Allergy Antidotes" TM, an allergy elimination method, is now used to treat Autism , ADD,  ADHD and like cases- where the patient is allergic to their own brain chemicals and brain parts! This is a very promising breakthrough
in the field of Energy Medicine and Energy Psychology- the foundation of "Allergy Antidotes". I have personally worked with it (never had a hormone allergy case so far!) with very good results.
You can do a search for this and if interested, search for practitioners in your area.

Let me know if you need any more details.
Cheers.
Niko
Thank you so much for this information. I have done some research online and this article was also sited in some of the information I found. I want to read it in it's entirety and share with my primary MD.
Quick question. In the brief description of the article it states that if hormones are found to be the cause:
"This leads to the possibility of treating a wide variety of disorders by determining hormone allergy and initiating desensitization."
I was wondering what is involved in "desensitization"?
Hi again!

Desensitization involves a process of supplying increasing doses of the allergen, either sub-lingually or by hypodermic injection in order to trick
the immune system to eventually modify its response to the allergen.
It is like retraining the immune system in a way. Allergy shots fall in this
area of therapy (immunotherapy).
My suggestion would be to checkout holistic allergy elimination first,
as I mentioned in my original post.
Cheers!
Niko
You have progesterone allergy I assume. It is also known as autoimmune progesterone dermatitis' (APD).