Allergy Community
Allergies to medical tape???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Allergies to medical tape???

I was hospitalized with pneumonia in July. My lungs collapsed so I was hooked up to a life support machine with a tube inserted into my mouth going down to what i imagine must have been my lungs. The drs.induced a coma and I was sedated for about 2 1/2 weeks, with my ar ms bound to the bed so i wouldn't pull the breathing tube out. I was hospitalized a total of 25 days. When they took all the medical tape off my face i was left with what im assuming is acne.But then im not sure because its just tiny bumps all clustered together on my chin mostly and forehead. I've used acne wash and its not working. What the hell are these bumps and how do i get rid of them. I never in my life had an acne problem. Not even when i was a teenager. Please give me advice on how to treat this reaction on my skin. I try to cover it up with makeup but its still evident there's a bunch of tiny bumps all over my face.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Allergic reaction to the adhesive medical tape is indeed possible. Aside from this, irritation (especially if the tape was not regularly changed in your 25 days in the hospital), and skin condition such as contact dermatitis are also possible. If it is an allergic reaction, antihistamine medications and removal of the allergen is usually enough while removal of irritant will also help provide relief for irritation. If it persists, it is best that you have this checked for proper evaluation. Try not to squeeze or manipulate the skin lesions to prevent secondary bacterial infection. Take care and do keep us posted.
Thank you for your response. I'll just have to get help from my doctor. It's not improving at all. Again, I appreciate your help. If you have any other advice please let me know.