Allergy Community
Allergies to thyroid medication

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Allergies to thyroid medication

I experience generalized feelings of itching and burning with every form of thyroid supplementation.  My allergies have gotten worse lately - experienced the same sensations with an antihistamine prescribed by an allergist.  

Anyone heard of anything like this and what to do?  I need to take the thyroid medicine indefinitely.

Thanks for the post.

I read through your post. Your symptoms are also not reduced by antiallergics. I think probably your thyroid levels are not maintained. High thyroxine levels can also cause itching and burning. Many a times a skin disorder is associated with autoimmune reaction to thyroid. What I am trying to say is that it may not be the medication that is causing the problem, until and unless it has been tested that the medication is the culprit. Also skin disorders associated with thyroid seldom improve even after the thyroxine levels normalize.

However it is difficult to diagnose without examining. So please consult your doctor with the above possibilities.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else.