Allergy Community
Allergy Drainage causing vomiting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Allergy Drainage causing vomiting

I've ALWAYS suffered with allergies, but in the last few years, my sinus drainage has caused me to vomit 2-3 times each morning. It only happens in the morning, and by 11:00 am I feel fine. I've tried all sorts of allergy pills and nasal sprays. Is there anything else I could try to do to keep from vomiting every single morning? Please help!!!

Laura
What do you vomit in the mornings, look/taste...
It's just clear and thick mucus. It doesn't have a color. It doesn't taste like anything either. I just wake up with an extremely thick coating of mucus in my throat and it makes me so nauseus that I have to vomit.
Basically I have the same thing happen and feel much better by later in the day.  I vomit a clear, thick mucus also most mornings, but I don't feel a thick coating in my throat.  I just feel sick/nauseus, and brushing my teeth puts me over the edge.  It is almost not even like a throwup though as it doesn't seem like its a deep wrenching from the stomach.  Rarely after the clear mucus, I will have yellow bile.  I have a feeling this has to do my food allergies for me because it quit while I eliminated potential problem foods (wheat and gluten..) for a month.  But I am not sure on that and am going to get tested for food allergies this week; also i am planning on getting back on the elimination diet soon and if it quits again and I feel better than that is all I need.

Have you got a CT scan of your sinuses done?

Do you have any symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease? Let us know about the other symptoms that you have and the medications that you are taking currently.

You could take OTC antinausea antireflux medications just as soon as you get up and see if there is any relief in your symptoms. It would also help to sleep with your head end elevated.

Let us know how you are doing and do consult your doctor if your symptoms still persist.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

I've had this same problem for almost my entire life. It's not just in the morning. Sometimes, it's all day.

The best way I can describe the feeling is, I feel like I'm being choked.

My vomit is almost always just clear, mucousy. Sometimes, I get the yellow bile, but that's when I've been dry heaving for a bit.

The only things I've found that can help are cough drops or strong mints, that help my drainage and create saliva, helping it down. Also, I've found that if I drink more water, it seems to help.

It's very uncomfortable, annoying, and embarrassing. This forces me to change a lot of things, like not eating in the morning, until I've vomited, so that I do not throw up food. I also worry that I'm conditioning myself to throw up, and sometimes will do it because I always do it.

I haven't found any part of the year that is best. Sometimes, in the winter, it goes away for a while. As far as I know, I have no food allergies, just things like dust, mold, pollen, grass type things.

I've spoken to doctors, and allergists regarding this for about 15 years. Nobody can give me many tips, nor do they even seem concerned about this. I'd appreciate any help.
I have the same problem.  I have constant drainage, and sinus pressure headaches.  Mine started when I moved to California.  

My doctors have given me every medication under the sun.  The ones I have give me a little relief, but I'm not back to normal.  (I only experience normal when I visit home, Washington.)

I tend to vomit after I eat.  Typically foods with dairy.  I've recently cut out dairy from my diet and haven't had a problem with vomiting since.

Still working on my sinus headaches and drainage.  Thinking about seeing an ENT next, however, I'd like to explore more home remedies.  I've tried: neti pot and facial humidifier.  Any other suggestions?
I have exactly the same problem as Laura with exactly the same symptoms and have been getting nowhere as far as cures are concerned.I am allergic to molds and apparently off the charts with trichophytons but tried changing diets etc to no avail! Definitely does not make me someone you want to wake up with!
Hi Laura!
I have had this same problem now for almost 2 years.I vomited so much I started thinking maybe I had stomach problems.I had a lot of stomach tests and it is perfectly fine.Did you ever find a medicine that reduced the mucus or made the nausea go away?
I'd try a Neti pot.  Just rinse your sinuses out with the special saline water concentration and it should help you.  
I have also been throwing up in the mornings for 10 yrs.  Had several test ran on me and nothing to cure it.  Tried several things prilosec, nexium, and nasal sprays.  Nothing really seemed to work.  I also have a phobia of needles and see the dentist regulary to protect my teeth.  He started prescribing me vallium for my anxiety around needles.  I've noticed when I take vallium the night before and in the morning before seeing him I have no stomache issues although my doctor says the two aren't related but so far it is the only time I don't throw up.  Vallium and Xanex are supposed to be for anxiety and stress, yet I never feel very stressed.  I am pretty laid back.  Throwing up has become a routine for me everyday and if anybody knows another way of curing this please respond.  
no dont that pot shes talking about unless you really feel you need to i have read that it has led to infections that led to death in some people
The infections that you mention is when people use tap water for the neti pot.  Using the neti pot doesn't cause infection if you use distilled water.  Never use tap or spring water when you use a neti pot and always use the saline solution that comes with the pot.  Best of luck....
Hi.
I posted years back about my allergy/sinus drainage causing me to vomit up mucus looking stuff. It seemed to quit for a while, atleast it quit during the fall/winter it seemed. I did find a perscription that helped SO MUCH with my drainage. It is called STAHIST - just wanted to let you all know in case it could help your similar issues. Hope you all are not experiencing this yucky allergy reaction/extreme sinus drainage anymore!
Laura
I have this problem, too. I was working outside today and my husband came out to cut the grass: This just set it off. I used the neti pot (the arm and hammer one is more sanitary than the salt solution because it has a high alkalinity; infections can't live in an alkaline environment (and sodium bicarbonate is being used in Europe to neutralize cancer cells!)(Also, don't store your neti pot in the cabinet: leave it out one the counter top to dry and get a plastic one so that you can see through it so if there is mold growing in it, you can see it before you put it through your nose: I don't really think its the water, but the way people handle their neti pots-read the actual research, if you can find it).

I think once the sinus drainage starts, you're going to throw up because the mucous/infection is going to hit your stomach and your body is trying to expell the infection as soon as possible. I tend to start one way (out of the mouth) and then usually it works it's way down, if you know what I mean:  I didn't have all of the ingredients with me today and I was too sick to go out to the store, but usually I have the things I need on hand. If you have honey, real lemons, and baking soda, preferably the kind with no-aluminum, make a baking soda drink:

1. Get a large cup 2. Squeeze 2-3 lemons into the cup. 3. add 3-5 tablespoons of honey to the mix and stir. 4. Add in about a teaspoon of baking soda: It will start to fizz up! 5. Stir it down and start adding water and some ice, if you choose, filling up the cup: Sip on it throughout the day: It should be yellowish-light-brownish in color. If you make it just right, it can actually taste like a lemon-soda.My 3 year old takes it from me and drinks it, and its good to use on a regular basis, on and off.

It is an alkalizer drink:The baking soda drink neutralizes the infection-stuff in the stomach and your body does not react and try to expell the stuff, because there is no need: Hope this helps! I know what you're going through. I am sorry you have to go through this constantly. I hope this helps! Try it before you click away and forget about it: Its only a few lemons and some other stuff, then if it doesn't work for you, make lemonade!
I have experienced drainage which precisely 5 minutes after vomiting, I experience a severe allergic reaction like dry itchiness in the vaginal area, heat bumps at the back of my head, red splotchy itchy hands and feet. If some of the drainage managed to make its way past the stomach and was not vomited, I experience severe abdominal pain and usually have slow painful diarrhea for 20 minutes.

I just made my own alkalizer drink like what tetra stated and I have found it to be the ONLY thing that helps me! I am also going to try Alka-Seltzer to see if it works in the same way.

My doctor stated that he could only diagnose me if I had this reaction in the clinic so I have not found it helpful to even make it to the doctor's office but I will ask him to refer me to a allergist so I can be put on the injections of allergy serums. My mom has been doing the injections for 2 months now and is allergy free.
I have the same problem.  It use to be only in the mornings but now it's all day and night.  The only relief I get is when I'm sleeping. It causes me to vomit throughout the day. The only thing I have found that helps is extreme humidity. Problem is I live in California and it's  not very humid here. So I have turned to hot tea and hot showers. I'm going to try the strong mint suggestion. Hope it helps.