Allergy Community
Allergy Shots and Immune System

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Allergy Shots and Immune System

I'm a 49 yr old male whose currently on my 5th (yes that's 5th) round of allergy shots since taking them on and off starting in 1994.  I test highly allergic to grasses, trees, and to a lesser degree molds, dust mites, cockroach.  My only symptoms are forehead/facial pressure, mental fog, and fatigue.  My sinuses are clear from the 2 previous sinus surgeries back in 2002 (latter surgery corrected the 1st one) and I have tried numerous other testing including candidia, epstein barr, etc. and all were negative.  Even tried some antidepressants for a short period out of "nothing else to try" and it did no good for symptoms. Went to nuerologist and he even had a spinal tap and MRI brain scan done that showed everything was normal so I'm convinced my symptoms are related to something with immunity or possible food allergy.  I do know that my body apparently has not built immunity to the previous shots as I was tested again before the latest round started about 2 yrs ago that I am currently on and they showed that I was still highly allergic to all allergens; like I'd never taken shots in the past.  The only other thing that could be related to my body not building up immunity might be the fact that I do have a  cold sore maybe once every year or so.  Is there any evidence that HSV-1's effects on immune system might hinder body from building up immunity to allergy shots?   I don't know what else to do; only that these symptoms have put a major dent in my career and personal goals.  I frankly feel rotten most days.  Have no clue where to turn from here other than just try and live with these symptoms.  Any suggestions???    
I'm 38 and I too have HSV-1 which occasionally causes flareups on my fingers (Herpetic Whitlow... probably picked up from working with patients in a hospital setting) and have been on sublingual immunotherapy drops for about 1 1/2 years... Suffer many bouts of colds. Exercise tolerance is lower than it used to be, and I often get sick when I do exercise. It's as if I am chronically immuno deficient. Would love to hear an answer from a doctor on these issues as well. I also wonder if years of taking antibiotics for multiple sinus infections has permanently altered my immune system. Over the past 10 months I changed my diet to boost my TH1 immunity and counteract dominant th2. Any guidance on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!