Allergy Community
Allergy to PPD?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Allergy to PPD?

Hi! I have been colouring my hair blond for 20 years using different products and brands available on the market.  I never had any problem until last time.  Around 24 hours later, my eyelids started to get itchy.  In the matter of 20 minutes, they had become very swollen.  The next day when I woke up, they were SO swollen I could not see a thing.  My lips wre also a bit swollen as well as my throat.  I was totally disfigured and stayed this way for 3 days!  HORROR!!... Have I suddenly become allergic to the PPD contained in most colorants?  Has anybody suffered such a reaction?  Do you know any alternatives to color hair safely, at least the time I go back gradually to my natural colour?  I'm stuck and very worried of what would happen if I had another episode... Please, help!

This sounds like an allergic reaction most probably.

Have you had allergies to specific substances in the past?

You should continue with the antihistamine medications and consult your doctor immediately for your symptoms.

You should stop using the dye , till you have consulted your doctor and also talk to him/her if you need steroid medications and need to carry an epi-pen.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Regards.

I too have been coloring my hair for years with no problems, and all of a sudden I am  PPD allergic. My skin and scalp is on fire for a week, and I now realize I cant color my hair anymore..It is just too dangerous now, but I don't know what to do with my hair, growing it out would be ugly for years? Any suggestions anyone?I hear Clairol Loving care is an alternative, but it is for gray hair and it is semi permanent !!
I just dyed my hair the other day as well at an Aveda salon. My hair line is extremely swollen and painful and the glands behind my ears are, as well. They are sore to the touch-- am I in any danger? Will this just go away? Should I be worried? It's been about 48 hours since I dyed my hair.
Thanks!

You could take some oral antihistamine or antiallergic medications like loratadine or cetrizine and see if it helps with your symptoms. Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions to help soothe the itching.

Have you had allergic reactions in the past? Are you allergic to any specific substances?

You should consult your doctor about whether steroid medications are required and you should rush to the ER if you feel that the symptoms are increasing.

Talk to your doctor if you need to carry an epi-pen and try to avoid substances that you have documented allergic reactions to.

Let us know about how you are doing and post us about what your doctor advises.

Regards.
Hi everyone,

I also had a severe allergic reaction to hair dye at an Aveda salon.  Like the doc suggests, I now have an epi-pen.  I had to go to Urgent Care.  It was really scary and took a long time for the symptoms to disappear.  My face was SWOLLEN!

I went to an allergist and we did a TrueTest allergy test on my back.  I am allergic to the chemical, PPD, found in all permanent hair dyes.

I tried doing a "full weave" for awhile (dye on foils where it doesn't touch your scalp).  However, I was still having some symptoms.  I now feel that it is NOT worth it.  Currently, I am using a temporary color (Clairol Loving Care) that does not have PPD.

This is a serious problem.  I truly believe it is on the rise.  I think part of the problem is that no one knows where, who to report this info to.  Therefore, I don't believe the manufacturers are aware of this growing concern.  

I have started a bulletin board for people to come share their experiences/support for people with this allergy "PPD in Hair Dye, etc.":
http://www.network54.com/Forum/603111/

I hope we can work together to find alternative products etc.

gogo548

Its good to know that there is a gradual development of awareness on this issue.

Please keep us updated on your health and let me know if I can be of any help.

Best regards

Does anyone get Hives from the hair products I too dye my hair and am trying to figure out the cause of the Hives I  have. Alaso do shampoos have PPD in them or Hair sprays, I dont Hives on my head only my neck area,I do know the heat here makes them worse but someting triggers it.Any Ideas?
Yes, I also get hives.  I didn't figure this out for awhile.  I have been using Natural Instincts (beware of Clairol semi-permanent haircolors, they also have ppd).  About 2 weeks after I color my hair, my scalp intensely itches.  The last time, I had weeping wounds on the back of my head.  Dreadful.  I also get hives about 2 weeks later, but they are much worse in hot weather.  I don't plan on using semi-permanent hair color ever again.  I don't know how I'm going to deal with the transition though.  This is a serious issue, something going on here that no one is paying attention to.
I also had a reaction to the anti Histimine Hydroxyzine prescribed to me. I had  dreadful Gall bladder Symptoms ,this drug can give you virus infections, also beware of the steroids they all want to give you, there are sdie effects and if you use it long term effects from that. I have been to 2 differant Doctors and other than Prednisone they dont know anything at all.Allergists are very expensive and they dont alwasy come up with a solution I have had them several weeks now and I have found the most helpful are the Natural cures I Came up with doing research myself.

It is unfortunate that you have had unpleasant experiences with the treatments that you have undergone. I totally agree to the fact that drugs may have various side effects. However, doctors usually act with good faith and are genuinely trying to give you comfort. In the internet world of things, each patient can have more freedom and choice of treatment and everyone can check the risk-benefit of using a drug on the basis of their own condition. However, it will be wrong to ask someone not to evaluate if a particular therpy prescribed by their doctor is incorrect or has side effects.

I hope my post helped clear the air a bit. let me know if you may have any other queries.

I also found out that I have an allergy to PPD's. I was horrified - my whole face was swollen like a balloon. After a while of searching I found this amazing website that offered a few alternatives that did not contain PPD's. I use the Surya products and have done for months now, they are only semi-permanent but they do wonders covering my grays.
The link is www.topleaf.co.uk. I hope by sharing this information I have saved many of you searching for months like I did!

Louise
Thank you for the link...!!!! I just found out that I have an allergy to PPD also....I had a deep scalp massage & hair conditioning treatment plus a hair cut & style at Aveda Salon one week ago today ( they didn't ask if I had allergies or ask about doing a patch test)......but no hair dye....at 2am the next morning I woke up with swollen ears & a red scalp.....each day it got worse....swollen face & eyes ..red, bumpy, ichy, burning scalp, ears, face & neck. Is it possible they have more products that contain PPD?
Today 1 week later I am still suffering I look terrible & still am very uncomfortable....what can we do? Has anyone every taken an action against Aveda Salons?
Why are we being subject to this horrible PPD in America????  
**
Hi!  So sorry about your experience.  Mine was Aveda too!  I just wanted to let you know that I contacted them and alerted them to what happened to me.  

Unfortunately, I think it's one of those situations where the manufacturers are well aware of the potential risks, but, the $$ profit outweighs the risk (lawsuits).  Just my opinion.
PPD in Hair Dye:    http://www.network54.com/Forum/603111/
I am suffering with sore eyes(Not an infection) and wonder if my make up has PPD in it- waterproof mascara and eye pencil. I have had an allergy to PPD for several years now so have gone grey as I couldn't find an alternative. I can cope with that but if I have to stop wearing makeup I might just as well out a bag over my head!!Can anyone help me!!
I also just found out that I am allergic to the chemical PPD, my face is really swollen,  my doctor prescribed steroids (Predbusione), its been a day and a half and I havent seen a difference...am I been to anxious with wanting to see a different right away?

How long before I start to see an improvement?

HELP!!!
www.topleaf.co.uk may be great for some of you.  Here's more info.  Has anyone tried natural vegetable dyes like Henna, Indigo, Amla?  You can use them alone or all toghether.  I have used all together with great sucess.  My hair has more shine, is softer, less hair falls out and I can dye it as often as every 15 days (my grey grows in way too quick... no more crayon/mascara touch-ups).  So here's another website to read and please do your own research.  Myself: I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO CHEMICAL DYES OF ANY TYPE!

http://www.hennaforhair.com/freebooks/hennaforhair.pdf
Listen to the doctor and don't dye your hair any more at all.  I have done some research online and have read about natural hair dyes.  My bottom line conclusion is:  Don't even use the "natural" hair dyes.  From everything that I have read about those "natural" hair dyes is that they still use a certain amount of those nasty man-made chemicals.  

I am very allergic to everything.  I've come to the decision that I'm going to have to put up with the natural graying process and steer clear of the hair dye process altogether.  I am sure I would have a reaction even to the "natural" hair dyes, since the skin on my scalp seems to always be dry and irritated in some areas to begin with.

I did find an interesting website that talked about a process I might consider doing, if I don't have a reaction to it that uses things that most people already have in their homes and can do themselves.  It is very temporary, but it is a much more natural process for a "red" hair dye than anything else I've ever heard called natural.  It is a lengthy process, but I think it's safer to repeatedly rinse with very strong coffee or tea than to use those so-called "natural" hair dyes that I know still have man-made chemicals in them.
I have been diagnosed allergic to PPD by immunologist's patch testing.  Also allergic to Neosporin and some cortisone creams.  There are cross sensitivities from PPD allergies that include those two items as well as some analgesics.  You need to notify your dentist and doctor before receiving any medications or procedures using anesthesia.  Allergy to PPD is lifelong and worsens with each exposure.  I currently have mild asthmtatic bronchitis as a result (and I have read of others who have same) and carry albutorol inhaler.  Never had anything more than cold or flu in my life.  First noticed reaction at an Aveda salon (after dyeing hair for 15 years) so changed salons with brief respite in symptoms and then problem returned.  Note Products: Derma-Smoother/FS will bring the reaction to a halt and Clobex Shampoo will effectively treat scalp if you do have a reaction.  These are presciption products and VERY expensive.  Zytec is best antihistamine to take prior to dye since it works at the IgE level which inhibits the antigen/antibody response unlike other meds which block the histamine production only after the Ag/Ab reaction has already occured.  I have stopped using dyes with PPD.  Tried Goldwell product (germany) that appeared to have no PPD.  Patch tested 48 hours prior to dye application and it was negative but still mildly (delayed) reacted when used on hair and allowed to sit for 15 minutes.  I am now having some unexplained bruising which has also been reported in literature.  Note:  PPD goes under numerous other names so you must be familiar with these to fully identifyy PPD-free products.  Highlight/lowlights cause no reaction but do not get to roots.  Bottom line, if you MUST dye your hair, go with a PPD temporary dye which will take a lot of investigating to locate.  DO NOT use Hennas.  Some do have PPD-related ingredient.
On sunday I dyed my hair brown using a Loreal' permenent hair dye. After about 6 hours I started getting a really itchy head, all night I was scratching, and all the next day. Mid afternoon the day after I dyed my hair, I had developed a rash/hives around my hairline on my neck. That night I was itching uncontrollably, forming sores all over my scalp. I woke up 2 days after having my haire dyed, and my face was swollen around my temples, and my neck and throat were really swollen and tight, all my glands were up, and everything hurt. I immediately went to the doctors, and was prescribed Zyrtec (antihistamene), and Celamine cream for the rash on my neck, and Elocon Lotion for my scalp. I used this medication that very morning, and the itching subsided alot. I woke up that night very itchy again (i think the medication had worn off), and when I got up in the morning, my face was completely swollen, I could hardly see out of one eye because it was so puffy, and my throat was feeling very tight. I called a Medical Helpline we have here in Australia, and they told me to immediately go to the hospital, so I did.
The Doctor at the hospital told me that I was the worst case of allergy towards PPD that she had every seen, and put me on a course of steroids.
Now, 4 days later, my face/forehead/eyes and neck are still very swollen (worse in the mornings), and my head is still itchy occasionally.
This time last year I had a Henna Tattoo done in Bali, and this also got severely infected, and I was also allergic to the Antibiotic that I was placed on which made every 10 times worse, so now I know I really have to be careful, and try to use natural products for my skin.
BE CAREFUL!!
Loving care does seem to work to color your hair instead of the PPD ones but it doesnt last as long. I have posted regarding scalp irritation I have been getting and am wondering if this could have been caused by PPD. I dont find the anti histimines work at all on head allergy, am trying to figure out if its stuff they used inDental work or something I am eating. By the way allergists dont help at all It a waste of time and money going with this kind of allergy.
first off people can develop new allergies every 7 years, but prolonged exposure can make it more likely to develop an allergy to  it.
lucky for me i got a temporary henna tattoo about 5 years ago. which i got a swollen bumpy itchy sore filled reaction too (i still have white marks from where it was)
it was apparently a "henna tattoo" or so i was told, but bassically it was black hair dye (with PPD ofc) which was directly applied to my skin, and a lot of people from what i hear end up with the same problem
like me after having this kind of temporary tattoo,
a lifelong allergy to PPD and hypersensitivity for chemically related medications.  i didnt stumble onto this fact untill recently.  
I had my first facial swelling occurence after i dyed my hair for the first time in dec of 2006. it was a thursday it slowly built up over the course of 4/5 days and i was admitted to the ER, because i couldnt see out of my eyes anymore and the swelling was nearing my throat. i spent three days in the hospital on high doses of steroids. and a week later after taking more oral steroids i had my cheekbones back.
in the past few years i hadnt been able to get checked out for what i might be allergic too. this past year  i gave birth to a healthy baby, but one day later (after being released from the hospital) my face started swelling again... so spent another week in the hospital recouperating from that one. most likely i got an allergic reaction to Naropin (the epidural) aka Ropivacaine and that is probably as a result from my PPD allergy (can lead to allergies for some of the -caine medicines lidocaine benzocaine etc.)
now in recent months i have been scouring the internet for information. and found a article saying "a temporary tattoo can be fun but you can end up developing an allergy to PPD from it, a common ingredient of Hairdye, and that also may lead to allergies for certain medications"
i mentioned it to my FORMER dermatologist and he didnt believe me,
i now have a appointment for next month at a new dermatologist to get tested for PPD allergy. I hope i havent developed too many additional allergies/sensitivities. in any case here's some useful facts

ppd in hairdye is illegal in germany, france and sweden, due to high rates of allergy in the 20th century.
its safe to say most of their hairdyes would not contain PPD.

ppd and henna tattoos
if the artist recommends to take it off soon (around an hour after application) its NOT a henna tattoo, it most likely contains PPD. a real henna tattoo follows the "leave on as long as possible rule"
its obvious that youd get a reaction from bassically leaving black hairdye on your skin for over an hour! this is why this triggers an allergic reaction with a lot of people.
most reported henna tattoo allergies are actually allergies to PPD and other non traditional/natural additives, not to actual henna
if you see someone doing black henna tattoos remind them its illegal in the US according to the FDA. and also in Canada to use henna, or PPD as anything but a hairdye. oh and also remind them that they may have killed people by their choice to use PPD. instead of safer alternatives.

heres a helpful list for people with a PPD allergy (if you havent been completely tested yet, consult your dermatologist to test for these possible related allergies.)

You are allergic to PARA-PHENYLENEDIAMINE (PPD) and should avoid the following:
Black dyes, including dark hair dyes and toners for bleached hair

Some furs and textiles dyed with dyes containing PPD.

People sensitive to PPD can also be sensitive to the following:

Other dyes in textiles, stocking, leather, hair dyes (in particular paratoluene diamine)

Anti-sunburn agents

Aniline dyes

Local anaesthetics (lignocaine and xylocaine are safe)

Sulphonamides (medicament)

The dye in orange peel – can eat oranges but get someone else to peel them

Black heavy duty rubbers

Printing inks eg during photocopy & lithographing

Photographic chemicals

There may be a cross reaction with some local anaesthetics or sulphonamides (an antibiotic)

heres the list of alternative names for PPD i suggest you print it out and bring it with you when looking for alternative hairdye or new cosmetic products. (tip: when you are physically looking for non PPD hairdyes wear gloves, so if you do grab one with ppd in it you dont end up with hand contact dermatitis)

p-phenylenediamine
Synonyms: p-aminoaniline,
4-aminoaniline,
ursol D,
p-benzenediamine, 1,
4-benzenediamine,
C.I. oxidation base 10,
developer 13,
durafur black R,
fouramine D,
fur black R,
Fur yellow,
para,
ppd,
renal pf,
tertral D,
PPD
numerous other non-systematic names

I consider my self lucky evethough i have ended up in IC because of my allergic reactions, my reactions are very slow to start and can be caught in time. some people dont have that luxury, they have to carry around epi pens. or some people arent even that lucky,
there have been cases of people spontaneously becoming allergic to their hairdye and dying as a result
i.e.
Narinder Devi, 39, Mother of three

and finally this is what the CDC says of PPD.
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng0805.html

well i know this was a long post, but i just wanted to share what ive learned so far, and hope this helps someone else.

S.B.
I have an allergy to PPD that i got from dying my hair black, I ended up in hospital with a severe reaction.
Does anyone have an allergy to PPD that has tattoos?
cuz i really want a tattoo and not sure if PPD is in tattoo ink??
xx thanks very much
steph
Please do not dye your hair again.
YOUR HEALTH IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN A NEW LOOK.
I just recently recovered from using black hair dye with symptoms of itching all over my body, very bad scalp irritations.
First trip to the ER, was prescribed Prednisone and to continue to take the OTC Benadryl.
After a week, I had to go to the Immediate Care, where my Doctor prescribed Bactrim DS and a topical solution (Fluocinole) that I call the miracle solution.
I have learned my lesson.
I dyed My hair black two weeks ago. It caused weeping and scabs on the head. The doc at walkin clinic put me on some type of sterod that took the swelling down on the face. Unfortunatly now the iching is on the intirer body. Oatmeal baths help for 10 to 15 minutes.. Does anyone know how long this stuff takes to work its way out of the system?? Or how it can stay around so long??
  And why the heck is it allowed on the market in the first place!
Cheers and good luck to all.
For most of us, the reaction does have an end.  It takes about three to four weeks for the itching to go away, and a lot of self discipline to stop scratching and digging at night. OTC REMEDIES:  Exposing the rashes to the sun, calamine lotion, colloidal oatmeal baths, washing with just cooler water, were all things that helped me.  I wiped down with alcohol frequently to stop oozing, and used a styptic pencil on my ears (what guys use to stop bleeding after shaving).  That burned, so I also used cool pacs on my ears.  My face didn't swell, but my asthma is worse.

Contrary to what I've read in these comments, my allergist was very helpful, and very sympathetic.  He prescribed a hand compounded cream, which can be made for you by a 'compounding pharmacy'' (they make it up right there).   I used two weeks of steroids, and a steroid cream.  By the third day, I had significant relief ( my face did not swell). Try to stay away from any petroleum based body products.  I shop at the Vitamin Store now for all hair and skin products - expensive, for a former Suave girl, but after this, I will find a way to afford it.
Would love to hear more from others who have found hair coloring that works for more than three days (semi-permanent dyes).  I am in real estate, and sadly, despite my 30 years experience and a great track record, people think I am more capable if my hair isn't gray.
After dying my hair for a very long time I have discovered I am allergic to PPD. Bleach doesn't bother me, only black\dark hair dye seems to set me off. I have switched to organic henna and indigo. Only use henna if it is completely natural with NO additives. If it comes out of the bag green, you're generally good to go!  I can't speak for the the going red process, but as far as black hair goes its worked great for me. I use a sulfate free shampoo and conditioner- which keeps it black longer.
hey. I developed my allregy when i was 14 (evil Bali Tattoo) and it was fake obviously, like many of you my head was swollen as well as my ears, cheeks, and neck everywhere my hair touched...plus my eyes.

If any of your have seen Hey Arnold! that was me...footbal head...with puffy slits for eyes....Soooo not a good look!  And my Head was bigger then my pillow! i only take up 1/3 to 1/2 normally!!!!

Anyway I am Australian and while i was there i dyed my hair...no probs.
come home 6months dye it black...And that was my first taste of life as Madame Football Head.   got perscibed the anti-histamine Phenergan, cram for face and the rest Celestone (cortizone cream) and a injection of cortizone... (sterioids for miss itty bitty 5'' 2, oh, the irony!)

anyway it cleared up and i am back to looking like a alice wannabe (twighlight apparently my sis is their stalker)

And Tattoos here in Australia are safe... i am a queesland girl, 25 y.o. and go for my next one (number 5) next week. If your worried talk to the tattooist they can tell you what inks they use... and for your first do a small one (a tester for pain and inks if really worried like i was) on your bck or hip or thigh far rom respirtory area, if worried talk to your doctor and they may also perscribe anti-histamine for you to take before you get it done so you can take a few doses just to be safe.  i Used it the first 3 not the last one. just to give you an idea the last is a 5inch pure black dragon but like i said i had no problems.

personally, ask your doc, talk to the tattooist and if u deside to do it take the tablets, and buy bapanthen (cream to put on and heal the tatt... yes it does smell like baby powder, but its antiseptic and it is used on baby bottoms.)  If u dont want to DONT DO IT. whatever you are happier with... just make sure your comfortable with it if you do...

Ummm some stores do have dye with no PPD mainly out of autralia...
online are...Sanotint, EcoColours Hair Colour and Smart Bueaty.

all are uk basd... beware, Clariol, Hebalesseance the shampoo set me off as well, and Most Store pacakegd Hanna has PPD as well... still after more options though, I'll let you know what i find.

Kylie
i also had a similar problem ive been dying my hair at a salon for the last 10years using loreal professional dyes. within the last year i decided i was tired of blonde and wanted to return to my natural dark brown hair colour the product the salon used was a wella product first time round i had swollen itchy scalp with my glands swelled for at least 2 weeks but never related it back to the hair dye, last week i had my hair dyed again at the same salon with the same hair dye and went away on holiday the next day within a few days my head had swelled and what looked like chemical burns on my ears with the antihistamines it was kept under control until the friday when i used sun block( which apparently contains ppd type substance) on my face upper torso and arms within hours i has a rash of blister like sores all over by the next morning i was having trouble speaking i thought it was laryngitis and my asthma appeared to be playing up i went to A and E who diagnosed a chest infection and exema (eczema) wrongly i struggled to breath all night and went back to my own doctors who quickly had me on steroids a nebulizer and oxygen never again will i use any hair dye or any cosmetic containing  ppd as  my doctor has suggested every time i come into contact with these chemicals the reaction will get worse
I have PPD allergy, my face swellup and scalp become red whenever I applyed Chemical hair colour. Then I was recommeded Vegetal Bio Colour by my dermatologist. I used the product , I am really happy to see the results, it colour so well with no side effect, no reddening no swelling. I am really happy..
I am having an allergic reaction for three weeks so far after color at an Aveda salon.  Red itchy scalp, burning and hair loss.  I can't treat it, outside of spending $400 on Olux. Be warned, stay away from Aveda.  I wish the FDA would stop them using that dye.
I've never dyed my hair but I have tried many diferent hair dye patch tests at the hairdresses and with all I came out with a reaction, all but one were perminant dyes. I then decided to do one myself using nice n easy clairol semi permanent and I did not come out in a reaction. I  did get a test at the hospital to find out that I am allergic to ppd. I am still very confused as to why I never reacted to the semi permanent clairol dye, is this because it does not contain ppd? Or was it simply just a random bit of luck? With all other reactions I have had quite a severe reaction too
can anyone help me put with a good dye to use?
Hi! I have been colouring my hair auburn for a number of years using different products and brands available on the market.  I never had any problem until this weekend. I had my hair dyed on Friday evening and Saturday morning my face started to swell and that night, around 24 hours later, my eyelids started to get itchy, puffy and swollen and under my eyes also. It's Monday and I'm still disfigured. It's really horrible!!... I think the companies who produce these products should put a warning on the package that an allergy to PPD is very serious. Most of all the use of PPD should be banned..  
Everyone who had such a reaction should post their comments.
Julie
www.colourwell.com could be a solution! 100% natural haircolouring, so no PPD and other chemicals.
I have had red itchy swolen eyelids and also below the lower lashes.  The doctor has treated me for blepharitis with steroid tablets and then antibiotics.  I've had eye drops and antihistamine but nothing has helped.  

My optician said that I dont have blepharitus (inflamation (inflammation) of the eyelids).  The only other thing I have done us to dye my hair and now I'm thinking that this is the problem as my eye problems happened not long after using L'Oreal dye.  I have used it a few times but did leave it on longer this time.

I just dont know what else to do as its red, sort, dry, itching and eyes are watery.   Nothing helps to relieve it. Even the doctor said they dont know what to do!

Any info on relief is appreciated. (the optician said to use vaselene to help with dryness, but i have very sensitive eyes I dont want it to get worse.  I havent worn eyemakup in 15 years or mascara as I'm so careful about what I put on my skin.  Could it just be the dye?
PPD has been banned for use in many countries due to the increasing amount of allergic reactions being reported. You should also be aware of color lines that claim to be PPD-free because most will replace PPD with its almost chemically equivalent cousin, PTD. Most women I have spoken to who are severely allergic to PPD are also allergic to PTD.

My suggestion is to always do a hair patch test no matter what color line you decide to use.

The professional color line I like best is Organic Color Systems. They are PPD and PTD-free, paraben free, Thioglycolate free, and SLS free. They also maximize the use of certified organic ingredients and have over 60 colors.

If you have any further questions regards salons that carry their product, or  allergen information I would contact them via their website.
hi i am allergic to ppd but it was all my fault that this happened.

I m 15 years old now and i always loved to dye my hair and so i did from the age of 11. when i was 12 i did a henna tattoo and i got allergic to it but i continued to dye my hair not nowing what would happen . I began to loose patches of her so i couldnt dye my hair for a whole year after that i dyes my hair again this time red swallen bumps in my head and again i ignored it and last january i had the worst experience. i dyed my hair black with a blonde sash and my face got swalloen after 48 hrs my eyes i coludnt see anything and guess what i can never dye my hair again and personal experience DO NOT USE PPD FREE DYE'S THEY STILL HAVE PPD
I had a very bad reaction to PPD chemical, I put black henna on my facial hair and eye brows. I washed my face after 2 hours. The next morning I woke up and realized i looked like Frankenstein. During the day i noticed my neck had swollen, and had trouble breathing, grasping for air. So I had to call the ambulance. Its my 3rd day now and my face is still swollen and no improvement, Ive been given Predrinsolone tablets (steroid tablets), so hopefully in few days time i see the difference. Its getting me really worried now and I cant even show my face. People should be aware of this chemical and I believe this chemical should be banded. Can anyone tell me how long it takes for my face to get back to normal again? Thank you.
I have been round most stores looking for PPD free hair color and I cannot find one ..its disgusting that all the hair color out there has PPD even though they all know about these rashes and allergies.I am going to look at the ones members here have put up online .
How are you doing?  I was also prescribed Prednisone.  I think that is what really helped me.  Some people seem to have symptoms carry on and on, for months!  I think the Prednisone helped nip it in the bud.  All in all, I suffered for about a good two weeks.  sorry...

gogo
Hi i am a male and i just dyed my hair a day ago red and im starting to get sores on the top of my scalp and its really sore at touch and makes my head hurt like ache. I dont have any itchy symptoms yet but would like to know how to get rid of these symptoms?? any suggestions. Also was first time dyeing hair!
I am allergic to pPD as well. I have now coloured already several times with ColourWell, Great product, I am really happy I found this product on the internet. I want to share this with all the people who suffer a PPD allergy!!
Please read this story:
http://www.dbtechno.com/curiosity/2011/11/22/julie-mccabe-in-coma-reaction-to-hair-dye-photo/
People are actually going into comas and/or dying from PPD
I, too, had a terrible reaction in October after years of coloring my hair blonde, but didn't connect it for awhile because it occurred several days after coloring. My eyelids swelled up and stayed red and itchy for almost a month.  Benadryl was big help, along with hot compresses, but it was a miserable experience.  

I searched all over for an alternative to permanent hair dyes. It seems all the permanent ones contain ppd. Last week I tried Clairol Natural Instincts Creme, which is semi-permanent (there's an oxymororon).  It has no ppd.
Be sure to use the Creme, not the vibrant or the regular Natural Instincts--they do have ppd.  You only put on the mixture for 10 minutes and it's quite mild. (The color is mustardy in the mixture bottle and very yellow on your head, don't freak out, it turns out OK.) I've had no allergic reaction whatsoever and it left my hair in great condition. It covered my by then 1 inch of gray roots and matched the blonde Revlon color I already had.  It's supposed to last a month of shampoos, so we'll see, but I think this is a solution.  

By the way, I read that their color refresher, which you're supposed to use after two weeks, had mixed results.  Last year there was a recall of the kits because the wrong refresher colors were put in the boxes.  Not very reassuring; I'm just going to avoid the refresher for now.  I can't handle any more hair problems.

At least I don't have to make the choice between blonde or blind!  I hope my experience can help someone.
I think the Natural Instincts CREME is a solution--it seems safe, the color and conditioning are good and it is easy to purchase at Walmart or Target.  The eco/natural/vegetable etc. hair color products I looked at were expensive, not easy to find, and several postings said they washed out in a few days.
Hi I have been dying my hair for 8 years and last week I came out in a bad alergy (allergy) I had about 50 scabs in my head which were realy itchy and weeping all my face was swelld and scabed an all behind my ears... I for got about been alergic (allergic) and tinted my eyebrows yesterday and I look like iv done 10 rounds with mike tyson
You seem so well informed. I wonder if you have any new info or ppd free products to share.
Thank You,
Kathy
i have the same thing every time i dye my hair and this just started my head gets all swolled up and itcy and then this last about a couple days and also my neck get swolled up to and one of my eyes looks like it chinesse and i cant stop doing my hair
I am allergic to ppd - the best colour I have used which is totally safe is reflex naturtint- it's ppd ammonia and paraben free- its a semi colour lasts me about 3 weeks and I go swimming every week so it's not bad- costs £10 on holland and Barrett website - so works out under £20 a month- much cheaper than hair salon
I had the same experiences as all of you -- dyed my hair for years (blonde), then decided to go brown and that's when it really manifested.  For a few years prior to going brown, I had itching along the hairline by my neck, but the darker color made it go crazy.  I developed weeping scabs, my face was swollen, and the itching, redness and scabs were on my neck and ears as well as my scalp.  I was diagnosed with a PPD allergy.  Not dying my hair and growing out the color (gray and brown) would have been pretty bad, but continuing to color could have been fatal.  I did a search for PPD allergies and found a color -- Goldwell.  In the Goldwell line, there is a temporary color which works.  This is not available for retail sale -- I have my salon do it.  She now actually uses the Goldwell permanent color and does 2-3 colors with highlights and lowlights.  You have to call salons in your area to see if they use this line.  Many never even heard of PPD allergies to hair color (which means they're not current with their info), but you will find a salon that can do it.
i also have an allergy to ppd and i broke out in hives and buring around the neck ears face and eyes , i stayed like this for 2 weeks ! but it eventually goes away i think the trick is to patch test before you dye your hair again and dont patch test it on the inside of the elbow wer it tells you to because it is a very sensitive area :) hope i could be of help
Interesting, as it was Goldwell applied at a salon that set off the allergy in Nov. 2011.
I had a terrible reaction to Aveda products about a year ago.  Then just a few weeks ago I tried another natural product, Herbatint, and wound up in the emergency room.  PPD reactions can happen any time, even after years of use of the chemical.  It has killed a number of people and needs to be avoided.
I have been dying my hair brown for 25 years just recently I had a systemic
reaction  and am wondering if I reacted to inhaling the ppd.My feet and hands were very itchy and my tongue was swollen.I almost went to the er however I took benadryl and it resloved.. I did not have a skin reaction, which my doc thought was strange..I have also had a recent reaction to novacine and I wonder if there is a relation.Are there any safe products out there?
Hi this sounds like a slight reaction to ppd i would watch in the future if i was you ,it started 8yrs ago for me with a slight redness to my face and neck but as i have found out to my cost every reaction to it is gets worse because a doctor informed me that your body reacts more strongly everytime,I have been in hospital twice with trying different supposed ppd free products the last time I could not see!... my face was so swollen someone at the hosp thought i had been in a car crash!! so just be very careful in the future I would say.
I have had allergies for many years and carry an epi pen. I have been suffering with swollen, dry chapped lips and have been diagnosed with PPD and Isothiazolinone allergies. I don't dye my hair and have stopped using my shampoo, conditioner makeup and soap. I was using Vaseline Lip Therapy mega times of day. I have stopped using that after reading about petroleum products being an irritating. My lips are better but I am starting to think it is something else in the long list of PPD products. How can I find information on the printing  dyes containing PPD? Any ideas?
I have a PPD allergy that is so bad, dying my hair black almost killed me. Literally. Ambulance, hospital, open wounds on my scalp, swelling, throat closed, months of steroids then massive hair loss. I thought I was doomed to grey hair but when I was being treated at Sunnybrook Hospital a dermatologist came up with a solution. Elumen, made by Goldwell, is a magnetic hair dye and contains nothing that anyone with allergies will react to. It is a savior. You can get it done at a few salons in TO or you can buy it at Cosmetic World or Trade Secrets. You need to buy the colour and a 'lock' which makes it latch onto your hair. Lasts just as long as regular permenant hair dye and the colours are great.
BEWARE of health food store hair dyes that claim to be 'all natural'. In Cananda things only have to be 3% natural to make that claim. Henna... also a no no. I have the ambulance receipts to prove it.

Laura Mac Con
Wow, I have a very similar history with yours. My reaction was so bad I had to stay in the hospital for a week. I also got a 'henna' tattoo in Cyprus once, but of course it had nothing to do with henna ann everything to do with some kind of black ink that burnt the skin on my shoulder to weeping blisters... It's a shame we are allergic to these things :( I would love to be able colour my hair any colour, but I can only take plain ol' peroxide highlights these days. Soon, maybe that is bad for me too.
should you wash your hair while having these burning itching on your head??? and how long is this going to last? and how about the swelling of the face? should i be out in the sun?
The first thing to do to stop the burning/itching/swelling as soon as possible is to neutralize the reaction with 2% Hydrogen Peroxide bought at the pharmacy and used normally for cuts and scrapes. Pour it on your hair and scalp and behind your ears. Just make  sure you don't get it in your eyes! Then go to doctors for steroids as soon as possible. If you dye your hair again the reaction will be more severe the next time. I don't seem to be allergic to bleach so now I am a blonde! Do a google search for PPD Allergy help forums. This is a growing problem that people need to be made aware of. There is also a huge list of things you may now be allergic too all derivatives of PPD. You are not alone. Seek out others with the same problem and gather as much information as you can.
i have been dyeing my hair for years and only in the last 4 yrs have i discovered i was allergic to ppd i dye my hair black the first time it happened to me was at a salon they dyed my hair and the next day i woke up and my ears were swollen then they started to puss and peel super gross ..so i now buy amonia (ammonia) free hair dye and havent had a reaction ... stupid mistake was going to the salon and asking for amonia (ammonia) free hair colour because its not and i ended up with the same the swollen ears and itchy head ...brutall . i try and keep it clean with peroxide and polysporin but it is sore and painful. anybody know any fast ways for it to heal
Hi there,
I got my eyebrows tinted almost two weeks ago and had a major allergic reaction. I knew I was allergic to hair dye chemicals from previous experiences where I would dye my hair and I would swell up and weep from the ears, but I haven't had an incident in a long time since I started using Elumen. But I went to get my brows waxed and the lady suggested a tint cause my brows are so much lighter than my hair. I explained about my allergies and we did a patch test. Nothing happened overnight and previously, the symptoms would start just hours after so I thought it was fine. It wasn't. My eyelids swelled up. And my pores around my eyebrows oozed for 5 days. Now that the oozing is over, it's just really hard thick scabs around my eyebrows that don't seem to improve. I already know I'm probably going to lose my eyebrows, but I'm wondering if the scabbing lasting this long is normal. I wondered what your experience was?
After years of using L'Oreal Excellence I developed a severe reaction to it, similar to yours. I changed to L'Oreal Preference. No improvement. My doctor said that manufacturers make changes to their products which can cause sudden allergic reactions, even though one has successfully used the product in the past. He gave me prescriptions to wipe out the symptoms and told me to discontinue using the product, let my hair grow out, then try a hypoallergenic product to color my hair or a product made with natural ingredients.
p.s. -  I should add that when I first developed the allergy it was not as bad as later - big red splotches on my face that spread to my back and under my arms in smaller splotches and behind my calves. I used Desonide cream which helped but only very short-term and the rash got worse and swelling began and I  switched to L'Oreal Preference. At that point the Desonide cream and Aquaphor I'd started using did little good and i went to my doctor. That's when he told me about product changes creating problems like mine, etc.
I am severly allergic to PPD and thought I was doomed to a life of grey hair. after doing some research on line I found two products that work: Palette by nature and Sanotint are two hair dyes with NO PPD. i have used Palette by nature and had no reaction! i have ordered Sanotint and will let all of you know how it does. Palette by nature worked ok but didn't cover all the grey. so i'm going to try sanotint .Be careful of non-permanents they often contain PPD. I read online that loving care does not contain PPD, however, when I went to purchase it the company changed the name to Clariol non-permanent and it DOES contain PPD. (so disappointing). Also I have been using John Frieda hair glaze which is also good at reducing the gray and I've had no reaction to it either.
Hi i had bad reaction 12 years ago to hair dye.my face turn horribly distorted.one of my eyes drooped my head swelled and my ears were so bad splitting and ouzing the worst part was the constent burning all over my head.lasted well over a week ended up in hospital .i later got patch tested and have allergy tp ppd.and couple other ingreadients. I have just been having my hair bleached through having full head foils .but now taking its toll badly dameged and i am getting to grey for it to cover all.i am battleing with the decision to just go grey .but as a women its so hard to come to terms with.but hairdye is fately dangerous and on increase.and ive researched over years theres nothink out there to replace it .u have even got to be aware of henna.
hi there I have been colouring my hair for 28years and yesterday I dyed my hair black...This morning I woke up with and the tips and back of my ears were red and weeping. My scalp was itchy, red and weeping...My hands, fingers and wrists have red legions and are ultra itchy..After reading this article I think I maybe allergic as well...
Thank for posting this, I thought I was the only one with this problem. I have just turned 42 and at a time where I really want to be coloring my hair. In the past few yeas I have been searching desperately for an alternative. I went to a hair saloon and told them about my allergy and they assured me Henna would be a good solution. this was one of the worst reactions I have had to date. my scalp was red hot after just a few hours it became really itchey , my glands behind my ears came up and the next day my face was swollen, the tips of my ears were burnt and started weeping.If anyone has found anything that is safe to use, Id appreciate your help.
PPD is not banned in any European country (or in fact, anywhere in the world. In spite of what you may have read in postings all over the internet, allergic reactions to hair colorants are actually very rare.  For example, consider just the United Kingdom. Fifty million units of home hair colorants are sold and forty-five million salon applications of hair colorants are done in the UK each year. The incidence of allergic reactions attributable to oxidative hair colorants, including serious reactions, is less than five adverse reactions in every million units sold (similar data is available about US usage).

The truth is that even though the symptoms can certainly be horrible when you are the one having a bad reaction, we don't want to provide the impression that the hair color products on the market are unsafe. If these reactions were at all commonplace, the customer outcry would be so huge that the products simply would not be sold (or allowed to be sold).  In both the the US and the UK (and in all other first world countries), hair colorants are subject to the same stringent safety laws as all cosmetic products.  Such regulations require an individual safety assessment for every cosmetic products and ingredients will be banned if they don't meet the safety standards.

Even California, which has the strictest cosmetic ingredient regulations anywhere in the world, because of their Proposition 65,  doesn't  ban it and only requires one limitation, but not in hair color and instead, only for tattoo ink which contains it, stating that the operator must warn any potential customer that they might be at risk for an allergic reaction, prior to continuing with their procedure.
In December 2012 I had a severe reaction following a NAK hair dye treatment at my Hair Salon. I have lighter colours (blonde/light brown).  While the hair colour itself was lovely, later that day the nape of my neck swelled, red hot and my scalp started to burn - became red and raw with raised red buffer zone around my hair line.  My face swelled over the following 3 days and I didn't even recognise my own face when I looked in the mirror 48 hours after. I was placed on high dose predisone and when the reaction was still trying to continue 3 weeks later I was placed on higher prednisone for a three week period and finally the reaction was under control.  Mind you during that time I also ballooned in weight which my doctor had warned may happen with the steroid.  I have now had allergy testing completed through a dermatologist and the three chemicals I had the biggest reaction to - PPD, Black Rubber (PPD mix) and Disperse Blue (also a PPD mix).  Three weeks after the tests I am still trying to get the test patches to calm down.  

During the initial days of the reaction, my scalp was red raw and by the fourth day, I developed an infection, in the ***** blisters, which started to spread down my neck.  I was put on antibiotics, but the next step would have been hospitalisation if this had not been effective.

I have been advised by the immunologist not to risk even foils as the PPD can contact the skin during wash off.  She has suggested investigating Henna.  But caution here, make sure the company guarantees no PPD. The Immunologist has had quite a number of people return from Bali with severe reactions to Henna tattoos.  These tattoos often contain PPD so take caution.

As for NAK, they do not seem to be concerned or interested in the fact that I have had a reaction after having one of their hair dyes.  Their rep has said that it must be just a reaction I have had, not a possiblity that others might have similar reactions.  My medical costs have been significant including the allergy testing.  But they have not provided the hair salon with a straight answer to whether other customers have had reactions to this product or not - no positive or negative response - so maybe I am not the only one.  I am not naive enough to say it is only their product, as many other brands have been listed in people's feedback on websites I have read.

Beware if you have had a reaction to PPD - it can also be in some makeup including mascara.

So now I join the decision queue - try henna or try to go natural and let the greys shine. Thanks to those who have given their warnings on henna hair dyes as well.
I've never had allergies to anything before, and after coloring my hair regularly for nearly 15 years, I developed a PPD allergy.....lucky me.  My first experience with the allergy resulted in a trip to the emergency room, as my head, neck, face, and eyes were swollen, crusty, weeping, red, and utterly disgusting.  The ER treated me for an allergic reaction but it was never determined what i was actually allergic to.  After a second reaction six weeks later and a considerable amount of online research, i was able to diagnose myself.  Adapting to this allergy has been a nightmare because of the limitations on what i can use on my hair.  My hair color is dark brown/black, and those dyes contain the highest concentrations of PPD....lovely.  Additionally, since I started going gray at 24 years old, I require color that actually covers gray.  Most of your natural dyes can't even touch gray.  There is only one product that i am able to use, and even that product causes frustration for me. In late 2012, Chi developed a line of color that is PPD free completely.....how wonderful.  There is a drawback to this color line.  Because PPD is a chemical that works in the oxidation process of developing color, a similar chemical had to be used in this reaction.  That chemical is touline 2.5 diamine.  This chemical is much less aggressive than PPD, but can mimic the same reaction on a lesser scale.  It is estimated that approximately 50% of people with a PPD allergy also react to touline 2.5 diamine....and i am one of them!  It is sometimes a process to get my hair colored, but you have to be careful.  If you apply vaseline around your hairline and ears, it will help repel some of the dye.  Also, get a prescription strength corticosteroid ointment from your doctor.  This will help if/when the skin begins to ooze.  Yes, this is gross, but it does work.  Benadryl and other allergy medications can help, but they aren't designed to prevent something like this, so you will still have the symptoms.  I've found that as long as my face doesn't swell and i don't require a trip to the ER, that a little bit of crustiness is managable.  Sure, i could just go gray and never color my hair ever again.  However, i don't feel like being more than 50% gray at the age of 30....and i don't think it's vain to want to be gray-free at my age.  
Hi Cathie,

You can buy Dried Leaves of the Plants :Emblica Officinalis (Amla) , Indigofera Tinctoria (Indigo Plant). Grind them to Powder . Mix in 55-45 Ratio with equal water and make a paste - leave in an iron bowl for 3-4 hours - then apply the paste into your hair Covering all and leave on for 1 Hour - When paste dries - cover with Cling Film or Poly Cap and keep for another Hour. Afterwards wash thoroughly with luke warm water. rinse again. Do this Every 15 Days and after two - three apllications your hair will be Natural Brown/Black with the goodness of nature.

Alternatively You can check out following links for PPD Free Natural Herbal Products:

1) In India : a Himalayan Co. : Deewal makes a product named BH+ (6th from Top) at :

http://www.deewal.com/CatProducts.aspx?cID=aa051fd6-5f9a-44d9-8ceb-3c48470b3dc7

2) Santoint in Italy :

http://www.cosvalitaly.com/en/sanotint

Callura, a new hair color is PPD and ammonia FREE. It comes from Vernico corp in Canada. Ask you stylist to investigate. Great color. Grey coverage and shine! This is a permanent hair color. It should fit the bill.
It's not  at all vain to want to be gray free. I feel your pain as my story is very similar  (  black hair, went grey at 25) although I am older now, and  I can report that continuing to dye will eventually lead to allergies from products that are related, such as sunscreen, some shampoos, things with rubber in them( I had a bad reaction to flip flops if you can believe it). I was doing for a couple years what you describe, even taking prednisone with my benadryl before a trip to the salon. Now I have developed all these new allergies and I am convinced all the immflamation caused by the reactions to dye and other petroleum products ( of which Vaseline is one BTW) have aged me.

here's a list of safe PPD and PTD  and I believe TDS free products. probably the only safe way to go to be honest. Always patch test. This comes from a very helpful blog for hair dye allergy sufferers, like us.
Clairol Beautiful

A line of temporary color products that wash out in 6-8 shampoos. Contains azo dyes.There are two varieties of Clairol Beautiful. DO NOT USE the Advanced Gray Solutions–it contains PTD, which is related to PPD, and you will most likely react to it. Check the ingredients!

Where to get it: Sold in beauty supply stores such as Sally’s.

CoSaMo Love Your Color

A line of temporary color products that wash out in 6-8 shampoos. Similar to Loving Care, which was discontinued. Contains azo dyes.

Where to get it: Online.

Davines Finest Pigments

A line of temporary color products that wash out in 8-10 shampoos. Check ingredients to be sure you are buying Finest Pigments, as other Davines products have TDS.

Where to get it: Online.

Goldwell Elumen

Semi-permanent color. Contains azo dyes.

Where to get it: Salons only.

K Pour Karite

A line of temporary color products that wash out in 6-8 shampoos. Contains azo dyes with nitros and amines.

Where to get it: Online.

Surya Henna Cream

A line of temporary color products that wash out in 6-8 shampoos. Contains azo dyes.Despite its name, it is not a henna dye.

Where to get it: Natural food stores, online.

Henna and Indigo

Henna turns hair red. Indigo mixed with henna turns it brown. The more indigo you use, the darker the color. This is permanent, although the indigo may fade a bit. Use only pure, laboratory-tested henna and indigo. Beware of henna kits sold in stores as these may contain other chemicals or metals that may cause allergy. Avoid anything labeled as “Black Henna” — it is likely pure PPD! Henna allergy is very rare. Some women are allergic to indigo, so always patch test it before you use it.

Where to buy it: Online. Mehandi.com and Henna Hut have both received good reviews.

Clairol Beautiful

CoSaMo Love Your Color

Where to get it: Online.

Davines Finest Pigments

Where to get it: Online.

Goldwell Elumen

Where to get it: Salons only.

K Pour Karite

Where to get it: Online.

Surya Henna Cream

Henna and Indigo

The product you mentioned (Clairol natural instinct cream) does contain P-phenylenediamine. It's right there on the Ingredients list.