Allergy to PPD?
Hi! I have been colouring my hair blond for 20 years using different products and brands available on the market.  I never had any problem until last time.  Around 24 hours later, my eyelids started to get itchy.  In the matter of 20 minutes, they had become very swollen.  The next day when I woke up, they were SO swollen I could not see a thing.  My lips wre also a bit swollen as well as my throat.  I was totally disfigured and stayed this way for 3 days!  HORROR!!... Have I suddenly become allergic to the PPD contained in most colorants?  Has anybody suffered such a reaction?  Do you know any alternatives to color hair safely, at least the time I go back gradually to my natural colour?  I'm stuck and very worried of what would happen if I had another episode... Please, help!
I am allergic to pPD as well. I have now coloured already several times with ColourWell, Great product, I am really happy I found this product on the internet. I want to share this with all the people who suffer a PPD allergy!!
Please read this story:
http://www.dbtechno.com/curiosity/2011/11/22/julie-mccabe-in-coma-reaction-to-hair-dye-photo/
People are actually going into comas and/or dying from PPD
I, too, had a terrible reaction in October after years of coloring my hair blonde, but didn't connect it for awhile because it occurred several days after coloring. My eyelids swelled up and stayed red and itchy for almost a month.  Benadryl was big help, along with hot compresses, but it was a miserable experience.  

I searched all over for an alternative to permanent hair dyes. It seems all the permanent ones contain ppd. Last week I tried Clairol Natural Instincts Creme, which is semi-permanent (there's an oxymororon).  It has no ppd.
Be sure to use the Creme, not the vibrant or the regular Natural Instincts--they do have ppd.  You only put on the mixture for 10 minutes and it's quite mild. (The color is mustardy in the mixture bottle and very yellow on your head, don't freak out, it turns out OK.) I've had no allergic reaction whatsoever and it left my hair in great condition. It covered my by then 1 inch of gray roots and matched the blonde Revlon color I already had.  It's supposed to last a month of shampoos, so we'll see, but I think this is a solution.  

By the way, I read that their color refresher, which you're supposed to use after two weeks, had mixed results.  Last year there was a recall of the kits because the wrong refresher colors were put in the boxes.  Not very reassuring; I'm just going to avoid the refresher for now.  I can't handle any more hair problems.

At least I don't have to make the choice between blonde or blind!  I hope my experience can help someone.
I think the Natural Instincts CREME is a solution--it seems safe, the color and conditioning are good and it is easy to purchase at Walmart or Target.  The eco/natural/vegetable etc. hair color products I looked at were expensive, not easy to find, and several postings said they washed out in a few days.
Hi I have been dying my hair for 8 years and last week I came out in a bad alergy I had about 50 scabs in my head which were realy itchy and weeping all my face was swelld and scabed an all behind my ears... I for got about been alergic and tinted my eyebrows yesterday and I look like iv done 10 rounds with mike tyson
You seem so well informed. I wonder if you have any new info or ppd free products to share.
Thank You,
Kathy
i have the same thing every time i dye my hair and this just started my head gets all swolled up and itcy and then this last about a couple days and also my neck get swolled up to and one of my eyes looks like it chinesse and i cant stop doing my hair
I am allergic to ppd - the best colour I have used which is totally safe is reflex naturtint- it's ppd ammonia and paraben free- its a semi colour lasts me about 3 weeks and I go swimming every week so it's not bad- costs £10 on holland and Barrett website - so works out under £20 a month- much cheaper than hair salon
I had the same experiences as all of you -- dyed my hair for years (blonde), then decided to go brown and that's when it really manifested.  For a few years prior to going brown, I had itching along the hairline by my neck, but the darker color made it go crazy.  I developed weeping scabs, my face was swollen, and the itching, redness and scabs were on my neck and ears as well as my scalp.  I was diagnosed with a PPD allergy.  Not dying my hair and growing out the color (gray and brown) would have been pretty bad, but continuing to color could have been fatal.  I did a search for PPD allergies and found a color -- Goldwell.  In the Goldwell line, there is a temporary color which works.  This is not available for retail sale -- I have my salon do it.  She now actually uses the Goldwell permanent color and does 2-3 colors with highlights and lowlights.  You have to call salons in your area to see if they use this line.  Many never even heard of PPD allergies to hair color (which means they're not current with their info), but you will find a salon that can do it.
i also have an allergy to ppd and i broke out in hives and buring around the neck ears face and eyes , i stayed like this for 2 weeks ! but it eventually goes away i think the trick is to patch test before you dye your hair again and dont patch test it on the inside of the elbow wer it tells you to because it is a very sensitive area :) hope i could be of help
Interesting, as it was Goldwell applied at a salon that set off the allergy in Nov. 2011.
I had a terrible reaction to Aveda products about a year ago.  Then just a few weeks ago I tried another natural product, Herbatint, and wound up in the emergency room.  PPD reactions can happen any time, even after years of use of the chemical.  It has killed a number of people and needs to be avoided.
I have been dying my hair brown for 25 years just recently I had a systemic
reaction  and am wondering if I reacted to inhaling the ppd.My feet and hands were very itchy and my tongue was swollen.I almost went to the er however I took benadryl and it resloved.. I did not have a skin reaction, which my doc thought was strange..I have also had a recent reaction to novacine and I wonder if there is a relation.Are there any safe products out there?
Hi this sounds like a slight reaction to ppd i would watch in the future if i was you ,it started 8yrs ago for me with a slight redness to my face and neck but as i have found out to my cost every reaction to it is gets worse because a doctor informed me that your body reacts more strongly everytime,I have been in hospital twice with trying different supposed ppd free products the last time I could not see!... my face was so swollen someone at the hosp thought i had been in a car crash!! so just be very careful in the future I would say.
I have had allergies for many years and carry an epi pen. I have been suffering with swollen, dry chapped lips and have been diagnosed with PPD and Isothiazolinone allergies. I don't dye my hair and have stopped using my shampoo, conditioner makeup and soap. I was using Vaseline Lip Therapy mega times of day. I have stopped using that after reading about petroleum products being an irritating. My lips are better but I am starting to think it is something else in the long list of PPD products. How can I find information on the printing  dyes containing PPD? Any ideas?
I have a PPD allergy that is so bad, dying my hair black almost killed me. Literally. Ambulance, hospital, open wounds on my scalp, swelling, throat closed, months of steroids then massive hair loss. I thought I was doomed to grey hair but when I was being treated at Sunnybrook Hospital a dermatologist came up with a solution. Elumen, made by Goldwell, is a magnetic hair dye and contains nothing that anyone with allergies will react to. It is a savior. You can get it done at a few salons in TO or you can buy it at Cosmetic World or Trade Secrets. You need to buy the colour and a 'lock' which makes it latch onto your hair. Lasts just as long as regular permenant hair dye and the colours are great.
BEWARE of health food store hair dyes that claim to be 'all natural'. In Cananda things only have to be 3% natural to make that claim. Henna... also a no no. I have the ambulance receipts to prove it.

Laura Mac Con
Wow, I have a very similar history with yours. My reaction was so bad I had to stay in the hospital for a week. I also got a 'henna' tattoo in Cyprus once, but of course it had nothing to do with henna ann everything to do with some kind of black ink that burnt the skin on my shoulder to weeping blisters... It's a shame we are allergic to these things :( I would love to be able colour my hair any colour, but I can only take plain ol' peroxide highlights these days. Soon, maybe that is bad for me too.
should you wash your hair while having these burning itching on your head??? and how long is this going to last? and how about the swelling of the face? should i be out in the sun?
The first thing to do to stop the burning/itching/swelling as soon as possible is to neutralize the reaction with 2% Hydrogen Peroxide bought at the pharmacy and used normally for cuts and scrapes. Pour it on your hair and scalp and behind your ears. Just make  sure you don't get it in your eyes! Then go to doctors for steroids as soon as possible. If you dye your hair again the reaction will be more severe the next time. I don't seem to be allergic to bleach so now I am a blonde! Do a google search for PPD Allergy help forums. This is a growing problem that people need to be made aware of. There is also a huge list of things you may now be allergic too all derivatives of PPD. You are not alone. Seek out others with the same problem and gather as much information as you can.
i have been dyeing my hair for years and only in the last 4 yrs have i discovered i was allergic to ppd i dye my hair black the first time it happened to me was at a salon they dyed my hair and the next day i woke up and my ears were swollen then they started to puss and peel super gross ..so i now buy amonia free hair dye and havent had a reaction ... stupid mistake was going to the salon and asking for amonia free hair colour because its not and i ended up with the same the swollen ears and itchy head ...brutall . i try and keep it clean with peroxide and polysporin but it is sore and painful. anybody know any fast ways for it to heal
Hi there,
I got my eyebrows tinted almost two weeks ago and had a major allergic reaction. I knew I was allergic to hair dye chemicals from previous experiences where I would dye my hair and I would swell up and weep from the ears, but I haven't had an incident in a long time since I started using Elumen. But I went to get my brows waxed and the lady suggested a tint cause my brows are so much lighter than my hair. I explained about my allergies and we did a patch test. Nothing happened overnight and previously, the symptoms would start just hours after so I thought it was fine. It wasn't. My eyelids swelled up. And my pores around my eyebrows oozed for 5 days. Now that the oozing is over, it's just really hard thick scabs around my eyebrows that don't seem to improve. I already know I'm probably going to lose my eyebrows, but I'm wondering if the scabbing lasting this long is normal. I wondered what your experience was?