Allergy Community
Allergy to Stitches

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Allergy to Stitches

Is it possible to develop an allergy to dissolvable stitches six months after surgery. I had a breast reduction done six months ago and has developed rashes around the suture wounds and across the areolas on both breasts. I also have constant fever,scratching nausea,tiredness etc . I also developed water blisters on my left foot at the same time.
I have been put on antihistamines for both day and night and steroid cream for the rashes.I have had this for at least 4 weeks now.
Tags: surgery
When I worked for a surgeon, I remember one patient who kept coming in to have sutures removed.  They were deep.  He got relief from having them removed.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

You could have developed an allergic reaction to the sutures and this usually depends on the composition of the sutures. They are catgut (plain/chromium), vicryl monocryl or vicryl rapidel. This is more so because you have developed the rash on the suture lines. Anti histamines from the mainstay of therapy. Though short courses of steroids are given for more severe symptoms. Discuss with your doctor regarding this. Also it can sometimes become a keloid, which is a scar in which there is extreme overgrowth of scar tissue that grows beyond the limits of original wound and shows no tendency to resolve. With best regards.