Allergy to Titanium???
I had cervical surgery on August 28, 2006.  I have 8 screws, 2 pins and 5 of 7 cervical discs fused together.  I am on no medications.  I get these what I call "brain fuzzes" frequently.  I am not doing anything particular when it happens and none of the occurances have anything in common as far as what I am doing at the time.  I also get a sensation of smell that is like chemical or metal smell.

When I was a kid I was diagnosed with an allergie to nickle.  I have reactions to jewelry (nickle) and some anti-persperants (aluminum chlorodyhrate).

I fear that I may be having a reation to the titanium inthe pins & screws in my neck.

Has anyone else had this happen? I am nervous about telling my surgeon because he may want to do surgery again and this was my second operation on my neck as it is and I do not want more.

Hi Goozy,

I am also chemical sensitive and even tested positive for an intolerance (severe) to aluminium. I hear that titanium is actually the best metal to use because it is rare to have a rejection/reaction to titanium, but it is of course possible.

You can get tested by a very good lab... ELISA/ACT (go to google.com and you'll find their website). The man who came up with these tests won the Nobel prize. Hopefully your insurance will cover your testing... mine did.

i had my neck fused with titanium on may the 2nd of this year. and a few days after the surgery my face and body broke out and swollen up could not see out of my eyes for about a week,i take over the counter meds to help and creams i'm still having the problems,i had both knees replace in october of last year with stryker replacement,no problems but i am still having the rash which started after the neck surgery,my doctor said that he has never heard of anyone being allegric to titanium is this true,what can i do,do i need to have them take this back out of my neck?  

thank you, brenda johns jacksonville,florida

Has anyone out there had any sort of allergic reactions to titanium?
I had bi-lateral TMJ surgery in 2004 which involved replacing a portion of my jaw with a couple of my ribs.  The doctor used titanium plates and screws to hold them in place.  Since that time I have had swelling on both sides of my face in the area of the transplants.  After going to a specialist it was discussed as to whether my body might possibly be rejecting the titanium.  The plan now is to go in and remove the plates and screws which no longer are needed. We don't know at this point if that is the case but will respond after the surgery.
Is it possible to have a reaction to a titanium pin (rotator cuff repair surgery) 7 months post surgical procedure?
I have been "googling" titanium alergies for about a month now and am 90% convinced that I am alergic to titanium. About a year ago I started to get VERY ichy rashes on my body. Most of the rashes were on places where the skin is fairly sensitive/thin i.e. underarms, backs of knees, groin area etc. I went to a dermatologist who diagnosed it as excema and prescribed a topical steroid. The cream helped the ichyness some but the rashes didn't go away. After awhile, I developed a rash on the backs of my hands as well and it was the worst under my wedding ring. It was so bad that the skin under my ring started cracking and bleeding so I took my ring off to "give it some air". After
about two weeks my ring finger was nearly healed but I realized that I hadn't needed to use the steroid cream for about two weeks (normally I needed to use it about twice a week). Then I realized my ring is made of Titanium which made me wonder if it was an allergic reaction. Hence my "googling". It has now been about five weeks since I've worn my ring and the rash is GONE! My wife (much to her chagrin) said we should go shopping this weekend for a Tungsten ring (which is what I originally wanted but couldn't afford)!
My daughter had titanium rods placed in her body this year and has had problems. She has rashes on her face like hives and pain in the hook and some screw areas. She is generally a sensitive person and is also having menustration every other week. Any other stories like this out there?