Allergy Community
Allergy to chlorine?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Allergy to chlorine?

Everytime I go swimming in a chlorinated pool my whole body breaks out in a painful red rash that lasts up to 2 weeks.  It seems worse if I have on sunscreen.   But, if I wear sunscreen and don't go in the water, it seems to be ok so I don't think it's the sunscreen.  Is there some kind of test that can tell me if I do have a chlorine allergy?  Is there something I can do to prevent this from happening?
Since you are showing these symptoms after entering the swimming pool,so it might be that you are allergic to chlorine or any of the contents of swimming pool.It has been reported that swimming pool water increases the predisposition to allergies and hay fever inswimmers.You can confirm that be getting yourself tested for allergies by an allergist.Skin prik tests and blood tests like RAST are employed to find if you are allergic to chlorine found in swimming pools or any other chemical in the pool.

If you face any of such symptoms again,pls take an over the counter antihistaminic like benadryl or zyrtec.If symptoms are severe,oral steroids may be needed.Also,if it is your private pool,then ask swimming pool manufacturers to replace chlorine with some other chemical to which you are not allergic.

If you sense any difficulty in breathing after entering the pool,then pls consult an ER immediately as it can be life threatening anaphylaxis.

I hope that helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.

Thanks for responding to my question.  I have taken allergy meds, but it doesn't seem to help.  I will go see my allergist again (I had the skin prik test done years ago, & am allergic to many things) since this is new.  Thanks again.