Am I allergic to Beer?
I have noticed that in the last 2 or 3 months I have been haing strange 'episodes' the day after drinking. I have never really suffered from hangovers in the past, but recently at about 5 o'clock the next day I have been dizzy to the point of collapsing. I also get a sense of detatchment from the world (as though I'm watching life go by on a TV). I go weak at the knees and can't really feel my arms. I previously thought that it might be panic attack or dehydration, however I drink almost 2 litres of water a day and I do not actually 'panic'. The only thing I can think of is maybe a delayed allergic reaction? I mainly drink beer. I drink quite heavily and have been doing so regularly for the last year or so as have been at University in England where it is part of the lifestyle. Should I stop drinking all together? Or just beer? I am otherwise very healthy and fit. As I say this has only started recently so could this be an intolerance that I've built up?
Any help would be much appreciated.
John
Hi, according to your history, it suggests either allergy to beer or its components (histamine release will cause hypotension and dizziness) or you may be having abnormal metabolism of alcohol.

Alcohol in some individuals can cause abnormal metabolism of alcohol (due to raised acetic acid or acetaldehyde). This can lead to unpleasant sensations including dizziness. Other causes of dizziness should be ruled out like dehydration, anemia, low blood pressure, hypoglycemia, motion sickness etc. Some time there may be a history of vertigo or some neurological problem.

Drinking lot of water and fruit juice, relaxation, fresh air will help her. If dizziness is with palpitation, profuse sweating then you must immediately visit hospital. I suggest you to consult neuro physician and get evaluated. Take care and regards.
Thank you for your advice. One more question when you speak of palpitation, what exactly defines this (i.e beyond what BPM). I noticed today that my head not only feels dizzy but physically full when I have these episodes. Does that affect your evalution?
Hi, palpitation is one which is sensed. They are unpleasant awareness of the forceful, rapid, or irregular beating of the heart. It can present as rapid fluttering in the chest, flip-flopping in the chest, or a pounding sensation in the chest or neck. The other symptom you mentioned will not affect evaluation. Go for necessary investigations. Take care and regards.