Allergy Community
Am I allergic to chlorine?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Am I allergic to chlorine?

Whenever I swim in a pool I get sick. Since the time I was very little and would go to the local pool I would get sick the next day with a cold. I had not swam for a while and I went for a swim the other day in my friends pool and the very next day i got a cold. It started in the back of my throat and nose was scratchy and then I had a fever and sensitive skin along with aches and pains in my joints. My ears also hurt and my eyes feel dry and itchy. This happens whenever I swim, but only when I put my head under the water! Am I allergic to chlorine?
Please help me!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi.

How old are you?

For how long do the symptoms last?

Do you take any medications to relieve your symptoms or do they spontaneously resolve?

Would you be able to elaborate further when you say sensitive skin? Do you develop a rash, skin redness?

Is there any strong history of allergies in your family?

Do you take any medications like antihistamine, antibiotics for your condition ? Or do symptoms just spontaneously disappear?

An allergologist will be able to help you determine if you are indeed allergic to chlorine. This seems to be likely in your case however a proper assessment may be required .

I suggest you take a bath immediately after swimming .Some pools use ionizers that may decrease chlorine load in the pool or chemical sanitizers that are not chlorine based.You may inquire about this.Meanwhile, a consult with your allergologist will be wise before embarking on another swimming spree.