Allergy Community
Am I having a "true" allergy or a "pseudoallergy"?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I have two herniated discs and therefore am in pretty severe pain from time to time and am trying to find a safe pain killer for when I need to take it.

About three months ago when this all started happening I was prescribed vicodin for pain and it helped greatly, I took it once to twice a day, alternating with ibpreufin. I was taking it for about a month with little to no side effects until one day I woke up and had this itchy, burning feeling on my arms (like a sunburn that itches). After getting up and moving around i noticed my arms had splotchy red patches that come and go. This will last anywhere from half a day to a couple days. My symptoms are less severe if I take a Claritin when I take the prescription. Also, these symptoms appear after 8 hours or more of taking it.

I have talked to my pain management doctor about this and he says that he's unsure about my reaction and is trying me on a bunch of medication. So far I have the same reaction to vicodin, nucynta, tramadol, vicopreufin, and percocet.

What should I do? Is trial the only way to figure out what I can take? I just don't want to have a potentially life threatening reaction one day. What can I take safely? Any suggestions on what my doctor could try next?
Hey kagome777.
Welcome to the forum.

I have a friend who's on 15 different meds and it all started from
the time he had a complete physical (5 years ago and unsymptomatic!)
Slightly elevated PSA and cholesterol and marginally  high blood pressure
taken once only! at the doctors office. I warned against the long term effects of statins, other possible side effects and all the drug interactions- can anyone check interactions between 15 drugs???. Side effects taken care by other meds and the end result is that he's now living a life of bare existence with a medicine cabinet full of pills and suffering from insomnia,
migraines, nausea, aches and pains, allergies, spasms, palpitations, constipation, restlessness, anxiety, depression...
From appointment to appointment, from test to test.
The funny thing is that I had the same 3 issues, NEVER took a single
pill. I have managed to control everything naturally! And I feel great.
I am not knocking the medical system. We are all partly responsible for the way it functions, and we cannot blame it all on the doctors, as that's the way they're trained. But we owe it to ourselves to be knowledgeable and proactive with our health matters. As adults we enter (assumed) agreements to get medical treatment without ANY guarantees - written or expressed -for results.
You can explore holistic pain management ( I have offered my suggestions in the fibro community recently ), holistic allergy elimination (see my most recent post here) and look into Dr. John Sarno's work. His approach to back pain and pain in general is revolutionary, to say the least.
You can try Dr. Coca's Pulse Test (free download) to test anything ingested for  allergies,intolerance & sensitivities (and this includes hidden or delayed reactions)
Do not be surprised with the results regarding most medications!
Hope this helps and sorry for all the ranting!
Cheers.
Niko
Hey kagome777.
Welcome to the forum.

Cheers.
Niko