Amine Allergies
I have a severe allergie to foods which are in the amine catergory is there any cure or treatment available?

I am unable to eat aged meat, garlic, strawberries, cauliflower to name only a few foods there are heaps more. Also some food colorings.

I have reactions such as face swellings, large red weals and itching. I take a antihistamine and a tablet called Singulair. Also prednisolone, only when I have the severe swellings.

Can you recommend any other treatment, other then avoiding these foods.

Hello and hope you are doing well.

Normally, during the course of evolution from a baby to an adult, we develop a mechanism by which we desensitize ourselves to all the materials we are exposed to. But sometimes, the desensitization may not be perfect and we develop allergic reactions to those few substances. This is what happened in your case. On exposure to the allergen, an Immunologic (IgE) or a non-immunologic reaction is set in process, which ultimately releases histamine, which acts at the peripheral receptors, resulting in allergic reactions and rashes.

The aim of the therapy is identification and removal of trigger factor. It is the most important and the only effective long-term therapy. Since you are already aware of the triggering factors, avoid them or desensitize yourself with the help of an allergy specialist. But desensitization therapies are not very effective for food allergies, consult an allergy specialist all the same.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Hi Dr Anitha,
Since talking to you late last year, I have had blood tests to varify if I am lacking in any area, they are all clear. I had these tests due to a comment made that Zinc and Vitamin B may help with the Amine allergy, but my levels are normal so I have not persisted with that. I have elminated all high amine allergy foods and are practically a vegetarin now, I really miss the meat. Do you think my body will always be like this or maybe it will catch up. I am only 22 and had this allergy for 2 years it would be nice to think that it may disappear as quick as it came.
Regards
Matthew
Hello Matthew and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament.

The allergic reactions may show a waxing and waning phenomenon. They may worsen with time or they may improve. Why don't you consult an allergy specialist?  He can help identify the allergens and desensitize you.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.