Allergy Community
Antibiotic allergies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Antibiotic allergies

I had a very severe reaction to tetracycline about 10 years ago. Horrible swelling of my face and throat, difficulty breathing. My mother told me that I also had a severe reaction to penicillin as a baby but I have taken K-flex as an adult with no problem (I didn't know it was a penicillin based antibiotic). I need a prescription for cefixime which is a cepholosporin(?), but my Dr. won't prescribe it due to my history.

My question is, if I take cefexime is it possible I could have as a reaction as with the tetracycline?
Hi, welcome to the forum, adverse reactions to drugs are common encountered now a days esp. if the person has an allergic past history. It is quite evident that you are allergic to penicillins. Such allergy is seen in as high as 10% of patient ranging from mild rash to severe reactions and depends on the body's magnitude of sensitization to such drugs.

Patients who are allergic to penicillins should avoid all penicillins. Other groups of antibiotics that contain a beta-lactam structure similar to that of amoxicillin or ampicillin, include the cephalosporins, carbapenems, and monobactams. As you asked about the cefexim which is a Cephalosporin (Third Generation) and can cause such allergic reaction (cross reactivity).

The allergic reaction keeps on worsening unless the offending drug is discontinued.
Hence, the line of management would be-
- avoid the drug or if taking Discontinue the cefexim.
- Tetracycline can be taken (if no history of reaction) against prescription.
I suggest you to consult physician. Take care and regards.