Allergy Community
Any luck with Quercetin?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Any luck with Quercetin?

I have just recently started taking quercetin to help alleviate allergy symptoms.  Has anyone tried this supplement or had any luck w/ it?
Hi, I also suffer from chronic cold related hives and I'm tired of being drowsey from traditional medicine which only helps a little. So I did some research and am now trying a combination of Butterbur-Quercetin-grapeseed extract and vitimin C. It is said to work like Zyrtec. I'm on day 2 with the vitamins with no relief. I dont know if I'm taking the right dosage. Well good luck! If you find a mg dosage that works please post it.
jenny
Yes, quercetin works to a great extent if you take large amounts of it. 3,000 mg to 4,000 mgs 3 to 4 times a day combined with the others and 500 mgs of Bromelain to help assimilate it and decrease inflammation.
Eva123

Quercetin is a phytochemical (a bioflavinoid) present in the coloured skin of apples and red onions. It has powerful antioxidant, anti-histamine, and anti-inflammatory action. Research has shown it to be useful for allergic conditions, asthma, hay fever, rheumatoid arthritis, and lupus. It is also used in diabetes and cancer.

Quercetin inhibits the production and release of histamine and other allergic/inflammatory substances. Histamine is a substance that is responsible for the allergic symptoms in the body. It can be taken in natural  form  by consuming apples and red onions and is also available as a dietary supplement.

You may discuss this with your healthcare provider for dosage and other instructions.
Take care

YES!
I've had seasonal pollen allergies since puberty. Anti-histamines make me terribly drowsy. I started taking Quer/Brom combo for something else and noticed my allergies went away!  Googled it and found out why! Been taking it ever since and hardly had ANY pollen allergies for 3 summers.  Only 1,000mg in the am worked for this purpose.
Recently, however, I've developed a sudden allergy to raw carrots. Also have been battling swollen, itchy, burning eyelids. Believe all of these to be due to hormonal fluctuations at my age (47).  Perimenopause is a time when women can experience new allergies or an increase in existing ones. Sooooo going to up my Quercetin to 3,000mg/day as suggested by someone in this thread.  Since Quercetin has been so effective for my seasonal allergies at a low dose, I'm confident that the increased dose will help this new development.
I have been taking 1,000 Maxiflav  brand powdered Quercitin twice a day for 3 weeks. I am under a doctor's care for this dosage and treatment, i have had only one mInor angioedema attack (face) attack during since atarting Quercitin. I no longer have allergy eye symptoms and have completely stopped taking Benedryl. In addition to this, I have just received blood tests results showing a number of delayed reaction food allergies. My doctor will likely put me on a strict elimination diet in hopes of successfully reintroducing them later. All of this is to remedy my angioedema, which I've had for 5 months.