Allergy Community
Anyone allergic to polyester? I am and can help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Sorry the topic is not right. But closest I could find for polyester and some other allergens cause skin eruptions. I am allergic to polyester, vinyl, some plastics, vinere, The clear coat on boxes, and more. And after 5 years of studying myself closely and control environments etc... I finally live with only mild symtoms (symptoms). This is done strictly through knowing all I have to do, and avoid.
I have also studied extensively the immune system, and other related health issues, and believe I have a higher knowledge than doctors on synthetic allergens now, for lack of studies being done in the medical society on this.
Pardon my spelling please. I had severe adhd growing up and spelling was a weak subject for me.
This allergy is also known as contact dermatitis. Actually it is Allergic contact dermatitis.
Want to see if it is what you have? here you go.

I am going to help you more with this one link than you have ever got for this!
And you would think after all these years one of these know it alls in here would think of it. I been here 2 days and I did.
This link has 1000's of pictures of people with this allergy. And so go and find someone that it looks like yours there. Because it looks a bit different of many people, and different body parts. Find your body part here and one that reacts exactly like you. A picture is worth a 1000 words!

http://www.dermnet.com/Allergic-Contact-Dermatitis/photos/1

Thanks for the link.  I don't think polyester is my allergy.  Thank God, because it's everywhere.  I am so allergic to wool, though, that I feel something like static zapping if someone else is wearing wool and comes into contact with any exposed skin.  I know that means I have to get away or I'll get an itchy rash.
Well some people can be so mildly allergic to polyester, that the skin never erupts for years and years. Often times these people only have tiny tiny red dots on upper legs, and back of upper arms. Or both. Until one day the immune get low from some illness, or they go through a very stressful time. And all the stress and thus not sleeping well, runs the immune down enough that they can then break out from polyester, and often times it is where the skin is thinnest. Like inner thighs, and groin. Or lower legs from polyester socks. Or hands from contact with synthetics. And then when the immune grows stronger again, it goes away. And the body can keep it at bay again. This can happen even if someone doesn't even have the tiny red spots or goose bump like dots.
So the only way for some people to know is to take 100% polyester like the filling for pillows, and hold it tight to a thin skin area for them.

I began a skin allergy 11 months ago - itching and sometimes with rash - I had blood tests etc all negative. My barber spotted the rash on the back of my neck caused by the nylon chair-apron. So light at the end of the tunnel, I was allergic to NYLON. Then I noticed the rash affecting me when wearing t-shirts matched the seaming, and of course these *cotton* t-shirts have POLYESTER stitching! So I think I am allergic to both polyester and nylon. Have begged my GP to send me for testing now that there is a reasonable probability that the causes of my allergy can be isolated, but that was over 2 months ago and they have left me to suffer it out :-| Am desperate - is there anyone further down the road on this than I am, what should I do, how do I cope and **what should I wear**!?!?

Virually all clothing is stitched with polyester - despite "cotton garment" claims. All socks give me irritable feet and sore shins / ankles. A lot of clothing I now wear insideout to escape the stitching. All labels I remove since the majority are synthetic material, and cause a rash.

Advice and help please!!!

Ric
I am allergic to polyester and synthetics. It is sever i have welts that grow the size of a softball. They appear to pop and run down all under my skin. I do not have to be wearing it, it just has to be near me. My breathing is obstructed and enough exsposier my blood presure rises to dangerous levels. Benydrl helps with the blood presure and controling the welts. Was hard to figure out in the begining cause if i was exsposed to polyester it could be over an hr until i would be breaking out..the breathing always came on sudden. I did find after i had a hysterectomy i went 4 months without a reaction. Not suggesting getting one..just finding what is wrong that is dragging your immune down. No doctor knows our bodies better than we do, it is a shame they dont listen to us more. Unfortunately for me i was in a vehical accident at work and my reactions have come back. So i believe it is our bodies telling us something is wrong. Just saying..
I have nylon allergy contact dermatitis.  Pictures on the web site you recommended had images EXACTLY like the large goose bump-like blisters and red, irritated skin in many photos.  I was prescribed Benadryl and a topical corticosteroid.  It worked and further exposure at later times reproduced the same rash and goose bumps.  Thanks.
It's not an allergy! Its an autoimmune inflammation response aka autoimmune disease. It is where your white blood cells attack your skin because of what is in contact with your skin. This inflammation can also be caused by some antibiotics and synthetic colors. My doctor just cleared me of cancer. He say's "the cells I found in you are benign". In other words, It could be a symptom of something worse! Everyone! Please go have blood work done, make sure its just a sensitivity!
My 7 yr old daughter has recently been diagnosed with severe latex allergy and needs an epi pen and med bracet. I have made the decision to take away all polyester as well because she says it makes her skin hot and crawl like when a latex balloon touches her hand. I'm completely overwhelmed, often waking up from nightmares that her toothpaste tube will kill her while I'm gone. I know it seems silly but latex is just in soooo many things. Have any informative links or advice to how to get through this beginning?
I have had a polyester allergy since H.S. I can detect it through other fabrics. It begins with feeling heat and growing uncomfortable. Like 50/50 or any proportion, even if the Polyester fiber is in the center of a thread, wrapped with pure cotton I can tell in the dark or with my eyes closed. Just touching it.

Nylon is safe. Wool is safe. I love cotton. I think now (50 y.o. male) I sm developing a vinyl allergy which I am testing for presently. No problems with latex or polyurathane.

It was first noticed when my older brother gave me a tennis shirt for a present. I loved it. Blue and yellow striped polo shirt. When waring it, within 15 minutes my skin was hot and body odor was pervasive. Even when removed, eithin a day red spots emerged and then pimples (acne).  I am a polyester detector now. I can tell just by touching it. I can detect other Allerhalogens now
Looking at the link, mine is not contact dermatitus. (Also, how do you edit an entry here? ) anyway...

I can detect other allergins too. I consider it a super-sensitivity. The pimples are classic pimples. The odor is clear and to be avoided. I gave a comparable reaction to silk. Most synthetics were developed to mimic silk. I think it may have genetic underpinnings.

I am a supersensor. Once aware of the feeling of exposure to something I am reactive to, I can sense it with my eyes closed