Allergy Community
Anyone outgrow a drug allergy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Anyone outgrow a drug allergy?

As a child, I had several different drug allergies including penicillin, Keflex, Sulfa and Codiene.  I gained another allergy, Doxycycline, as a young adult.  I had a penicillin challenge test at the urging of my allergist last year and passed it.  I have had Amoxicillin since then with no problems.  I was wondering if anyone "outgrew" a sulfa allergy?  I get UTI's a lot and the drug of choice seems to be some form of sulfa.  I have not had sulfa since I was in elementary school (I'm now 40) and had hives when I did take it.

Thanks!
Sorry I can't share any knowledge but this reply bumps your post back to the top, more time on page 1, maybe something will come.

You mention a "challenge" test, can't that be done for your specific question too? It seems to me, again specific knowledge, allergies are very personal, and the so is the question of "outgrowing" one.  It is my observation that there are many physical childhood problems that are indeed, outgrown.