Allergy Community
Autoimmune Urticaria and Pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Autoimmune Urticaria and Pregnancy

I am a 31 year old female with autoimmune urticaria.  I was first diagnosed after 10 long years of torture. I had been getting hives on and off from the time I was 9 until I was 19.  Every doctor I saw wanted to prescribe me anihistamines to no avail. And I got every diagnosis from an allergy to strawberries, to chocolate (go figure!), to chicken--none of these were triggers and I was left feeling very frustrated every Dr. visit. I'd get hives on my back, back of legs, bottom of my feet, and extremeties, sometimes all at once. I had to cancel sleepovers, dates, etc b/c as you know they burn like hell and stretch your skin and itch.  Well, it wasn't until I was 19 and I got hives in my mouth and had delayed breathing when I was brought into the ER and and allergist was called in.  I got the diagonisis of autoimmune urticaria through a positive autologus serum skin test. The Dr. extracted my blood, put it in a centrifuge and injected me with my own serum. Sure enough, I got a hive, and the diagnosis was positive.  I was immediately given an anti-inflammatory drug and an anti-anxiety medication (I am sorry, I don't remember the name), but my hives cleared up completely. I have not had a bout of hives since just this month when I was treated with methotextrate for an ectopic pregnancy.  I have been having difficulty keeping my pregnancies (I have had 2 previous miscarriages in addition to this ectopic) and was wondering if my uticaria is affecting my chances of carrying a pregnancy. I fear that my overactive immune response might be attacking the embryo. Does anyone know if this is possible? Has anyone else had difficulties getting pregnant, or difficulties during pregnancy due to their autoimmune urticaria?