Allergy Community
Beer Allergy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Beer Allergy?

Anybody have prickly tounge and red flushing on the cheeks and bridge of nose that sometimes feels like a sunburn. Sometimes I have a stuffy nose in the morning. I'm suspecting a beer allergy. I'm mostly a budlight drinker. I really noticed it about 5-7 months ago. I have no known allergies to any food. I also seems to be more red after a weekend of beer drinking. Tell me I'm not alone.....
Hi, welcome to the forum, alcohol is known to cause flushing in some individuals. You are not allergic alcohol. It causes direct vasodilation of the skin, related either to alcohol directly or its metabolite, acetaldehyde.  Alcohol is oxidized to acetaldehyde in the liver by alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH). This acetaldehyde is further converted to acetic acid by acetaldehyde dehydrogenase. In some individuals due to abnormal or deficient acetaldehyde dehydrogenase will cause accumulation of acetaldehyde which is a potent trigger of flushing.

In addition, fermented alcoholic beverages such as wine contain vasoactive substances (such as tyramine, histamine and sulfites) that contribute to the flushing response. I hope this helped you and you are not alone. Take care and regards.

Avatar n tn

Another question I have then, since this recently started, is there a reason I could be deficient of acetaldehyed dehydrogenase? If this is the case, Is there something I can do about this?
Hi, as this is genetic abnormality towards the enzyme..there is no treatment available for such genetic aberrations. Avoidance of the agent remains only option. Regards.
I am allergic to beer.  It made me feel generally awful, so I quit drinking altogether for 10 years.  About 3 years ago I started drinking cocktails, with none of the problems.  Then a year ago I drank another beer, and started feeling awful again.  I do miss the taste of beer, but cocktails are good too