Beer allergy
I am new to this forum.
Hi everyone.
The forum sounds very useful.
I am 49. I got a problem after drinking two cans of Holsten (Germany). Usually I used to get red eyes, sneezing, runny nose and swollen eyes most of the times after drinking beer, Though Sleeman is my favourite (may be due to classical bottle style and color), but I like to try new beers from different countries (especially cans). I drank Holsten 3-4 years ago nothing happened but this time I got red face like red pepper, red eyes, rashes on forehead, below front of neck, knees and red palms with little nervousness but no itches.
This is disturbing me and sounds like I would have to sacrifice my enjoyment of drinking beer Friday every week.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Hi, welcome to the forum, alcohol is known to cause flushing in some individuals. You may be allergic to beer. It causes direct vasodilation of the skin, related either to alcohol directly or its metabolite, acetaldehyde.  Alcohol is oxidized to acetaldehyde in the liver by alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH). This acetaldehyde is further converted to acetic acid by acetaldehyde dehydrogenase. In some individuals due to abnormal or deficient acetaldehyde dehydrogenase will cause accumulation of acetaldehyde which is a potent trigger of flushing. It is known as disulfiram like reaction.

In addition, fermented alcoholic beverages such as wine contain vasoactive substances (such as tyramine, histamine and sulfites) that contribute to the flushing response. I hope this helped you. Take care and regards.
Thanks a lot. Very good answer.