Allergy Community
Benadryl

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Benadryl

I take benadryl every night for my allergies.  I don't know if I shouldn't be taking it everynight.  I wake up with allergies.  I was wondering if there is some other over the counter drug that works better and would not interfere with albuterol and prevacid.
Benadryl is a sedating antihistaminic.You can go in for non sedating antihistaminics like Zyrtec which is available over the counter or Claritin which is available on prescription.Also pls elaborate on the the allergens to which you are having allergies,so that I can help you in a better way.Pls mention your symptoms and the allergens to which you are allergic.

I hope that helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.

Benadryl causes drowsiness and I think I'm getting used to it because I have difficulties falling asleep when I don't take it.  I can't tell what causes my allergies.  I wake up in the middle of the night to use the restroom and sneeze, then I just continue to sneeze and my eyes and nose are watery and my nose is congested.  Sometimes I go to bed fine and wake up in the morning with the same symptoms.  It's weird.  
From the symptoms it looks that you have hay fever or allergic rhinitis. Allergic rhinitis is a collection of symptoms, predominantly in the nose and eyes, caused by airborne particles of dust, dander, or plant pollens in people who are allergic to these substances.As you are having the symptoms mostly at night the one thing that needs to be probed is dust mite allergy which is common in mattresses and pillows.

Pls contact an allergic specialist and get skin tests like skin ***** test done. In this a small amount of allergen is introduced into the skin of the forearm and the reaction of the skin is noted. If there is any redness then that person is allergic to the allergen introduced.You can also get blood tests like RAST done.
Then avoidance of the particular allergen to which you are allergic is the best treatment. To reduce dust mites in your home, remove drapes, feather pillows, upholstered furniture, non-washable comforters and soft toys. Replace carpets with linoleum or wood and vacuum soft furniture and curtains as well as floor Wash carpets and upholstery with special cleaners, such as benzyl benzoate or tannic acid spray. Wash all bedding in hot water (hotter than 130°F) every 7 to 10 days and don't use mattress pads.Instead cover mattress and pillows with plastic covers and keep them out once in a month in sunshine.

I hope that helps. Please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.Warm regards.