Allergy Community
Bleeding Sinuses during Underwater Breath-hold

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I have been getting ready for Marine Dive School and have been practicing underwater breath-holds and solving complex problems under 5 m of water. While doing the underwater breath-holds, which are when I swim underwater at a depth of 4 ft or so, my sinuses start to bleed and when I blow my nose, blood of mucus like consistency, but appears to be completely (dark) blood - not mucus, and comes out in ?clot-like?, sticky consistency.  It is nothing like a runny nose, as the blood does not run out, but comes out when I blow with force through my nose.  This only happens after being in the pool for awhile and after doing numerous underwater breath-holds.  Also, later in the evening, the blood (I believe) runs down my throat and when I cough and hack, then blood also comes out in my spit.

I don't know what to do about this right now. I saw the Dr. and had a CT scan set up, but come to find out it would cost $500 for my deductible and I can't afford that right now.  My dive school is set up for March 2 and I still plan to go.  My worries are the fact that I won't be able to equalize the pressure in my sinuses and that the condition will persist. I am in very good shape and have been getting ready for this school for quite some time, therefore, I do not want to throw away this opportunity. If anyone could help and give some possible recommendations on why this is happening and if it is possible to successfully pass this dive course. We dive to 110 ft underwater. Thanks for the help.

You need to get a CT scan done for sure to come to a definite diagnosis. Talk to your doctor or specialist about what can be done.

Also, follow up with your doctor regularly even if you have not got the scan done, to get a re-evaluation and also to decide the further course of action.

Let us know how you are doing and what the doctor advises.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.