Allergy Community
Blowing blood from my nose.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Blowing blood from my nose.

It seems that every time I am sick with a cold and I blow my nose, there is blood in it.  The blood is not coming from my nose, it is in the "snot" and is coming from further back.  (sorry I dont know how to better to explain this).  Yesterday it was about a teaspoon of blood, but was thick.
What does this mean?
I have had septoplasty and turbino plasty 4 years ago.  Would this be related?

Blood in mucus in common cold is not an uncommon thing.This is due to repeated blowing of the nose and also due to pressure changes in the nose and eustachean tube which can cause blood vessels in the lining of the nose to burst. These vessels lie very close to the top of the mucous membrane lining in the nose and sinuses, and the blood can come from the lining in either of them.

Besides this nosebleeds can be caused by low humidity or by drying of the catarrh and lining of nose. Check the humidity in your house, and increase it to the normal range. Keep the heat low (60-64 degrees) in your bedroom.Avoid hard blowing of the nose and use a humidifier.Also use saline nasal sprays or decongestants(for few days only).Take adequate amount of fluids and keep your head elevated if there is copious bleeding.If bleeding in nose persists even after the cold,then an ENT examination is required.

Hope it helps. Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing if you have any additional queries.