Allergy Community
Brain Fog

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Brain Fog

Can allergies cause brain fog. I am 19 and think I am suffering from this. It came on a couple of weeks ago when the doc said I had an upper respiratory infection which then put me on antibiodics. My chest feels better but my brain fog is still somewhat here. It comes on when I start to exert myself. Today I took a nap and when I woke up I felt almost normal again. Can anyone help me and let me know what is going on with my body it is really depressing. Please help Tom

IMO... yes, allergies can cause brain fog !

What you are having is called sinusitis or sinus inflammation. Sinus headaches and light headedness are caused by sinus congestion and inflammation (called sinusitis). The sinuses are air-filled spaces lined with mucous membranes surrounding the forehead, cheeks and eyes. Healthy sinuses allow mucus to drain and air to circulate throughout the nasal passages. When sinuses become inflamed, these areas get blocked and mucus cannot drain.This mucus puts a pressure on sinuses which can cause lightheadedness and sinus headaches.Air borne allergies and infections are the commonest causes of sinusitis.

Diagnosis can be made by examination, transillumination, xrays, a CT scan, or an MRI.

The best way to avoid or get rid of a sinus headache is to treat the underlying sinus inflammation and, if present, clear any infection by using antibiotics. Treating the inflammation involves anything from using a humidifier to taking medicines to surgically drain of the mucous in the sinuses.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.

I remember once my husband used that toxic product "Liquid Nails". Only minutes after he was using the product, I felt awful and had dark circles under my eyes and severe brain fog.

When my allergies are severe, my brain fog is worse.

I agree with you, I am a contractor and I deal with dust and all those chemicals all day, I know what you mean when you say it gets worse, it is the same likewise with me. I just have one more question. Should the brain fog go away on its own? I just got off antibiodics for an upper respiratory infection and I am sure the doc wont put me on them again. Let me know. Thank you for all your help it is great. Tom

Hi Tom,

Fibro/CFS expert, Derek Enlander, M.D., writes this about brain fog and treatments for brain fog. Of course this information applies to fibro /CFS patients, but I'm sure it would also apply to healthier people who have brain fog as well. It is a natural approach (supplements, etc.), but one should you should also discuss with your physician.

Here's the info... I honestly haven't tried it yet, but I do exercises. My husband bought me a Nintendo DS and also purchased those two brain age programs for me :

Brain fog (inability to concentrate, memory problems, etc.): Again, I feel strongly that my formula injection helps improve this symptom over time. I may also have to use certain drugs to help the brain better focus. Additionally, I have found that a combination of glutathione, l-cystine and selenium can be helpful with concentration loss and short-term memory loss.

I also ask patients to perform memory-enhancing exercises to help their mind focus and stay sharp. Examples are crossword puzzles, free word games provided by online services that help memory, and TV shows such as Jeopardy! I urge patients to continue to challenge their minds, even though I realize it is often difficult at the various levels many CFS/FMS patients succumb to.

http://www.immunesupport.com/library/showarticle.cfm/ID/3855

Warmest Regards,

PlateletGal

I would strongly suggest limiting your exposure to chemicals and pollutants. I know masks are a pain, but try to wear one if you can.

Also... I would consider getting rid of toxic cleaners in your home. I see it this way.... it couldn't hurt and it could only help. Why exposure yourself to additional toxins ?

Here's what I wrote in one of my journals about that and also a link about the harmful effects of some laundry detergents and air fresheners:

In my quest for health.... one thing I've learned is to get rid of ALL of the toxic cleaners that I had in the house. I realized that I no longer needed them anymore. There are now cleaners that don't have any toxins, fumes, phosphates, perfumes and dyes. Baking soda and white distilled vinegar alone are two great cleaners. I now have a bottle of white distilled vinegar mixed in with water. And I purchased Bissell's mutli-purpose cleaner with vinegar to clean my windows. I also purchase Seventh Generation cleaners. Anyway, after I did all of this, I found a couple of chemicals in hair products that I was allergic to . These were products that I was using every single day and had I not removed those other toxic chemicals, I probably would have never known that I had other allergies. I can actually recognize when I'm having an allergic reaction now and know what I'm reacting to ! This has helped me a great deal and I would highly recommended this for people who have allergies and even for those people who don't have allergies as well. Why use toxic cleaners when we have safer alternatives ?

__________________________________________________________________

Toxic & hazardous chemicals found in top selling scented laundry products and air fresheners

http://www.immunesupport.com/library/showarticle.cfm?id=3026&T=HEALTH&B1=EM082008F

Ask Dr. Weil: Air Fresheners

Are they bad for my health?

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/cancer/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100216588&GT1=31024

whoops --- the MSN link I gave above is no longer valid. Here's the new link to the article:

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/cancer/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100216588
Allergies can definitely cause brain fog.  My friend has several food allergies and mold allergies.  Her brain is in a constant brain fog.  She chooses to not avoid what she is allergic to and just lives with it.  She gets extreme fatigue and brain fog after eating corn (grits) but she won't give it up.  
I have avoided all my allergens to the best of my ability but when I am exposed I do definitely get brain fog.  When shopping for clothes or in another store that has a lot of chemicals ( the chemicals on new clothing, home improvement stores, card shops or other gift shops with scented candles, the grocery store near the cleaning isle) all these things give off chemicals which give me brain fog.  I have to write lists to shop with otherwise my brain cannot retrieve the information due to brain fog from my sensitivities.  And no, I am not a senior citizen with memory lapses, I am a mom with young children.  So, if your brain fog is due to allergies/sensitivities or candida it will remain unless you deal with the offender or offenders. Try to eliminate your exposures and document when you have brain fog to determine what it is that is causing it.  I hope this helps.  
Sometimes it helps if after an exposure to allergens you take a good dose of vitamin C.   Vitamin C can reduce your allergic reaction eliminating brain fog.  

Another thought after reading your question.  Your body may just be run down, especially after being on antibiotics.  Go to the health food store or vitamin shop.  Buy yourself some pro-biotics to replace the healthy bacteria that your antibiotic killed.  Stay off of sugar and junk food.  Eat healthy, get some sleep, and take the pro-biotics.  I am thinking that in a few weeks or so you may be feeling better.  Sometimes after an illness it takes the body time to heal.  My 7 year old has been sick and I can't believe how much he is still sleeping.  I am sure that by next week he will be back to his normal active self.   So if it is not allergies I am sure that it will pass.  Do not get discouraged or depressed, focus on thankfulness.