Allergy Community
Breathing Difficulty

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Breathing Difficulty

A friend of mine suffers with breathing problem during winter. She was tested for IgE level and she was found with 375.60 IgE. What does she need to do and what are the possible treatement? Augustin
  • allergy test (1 replies):
    my IgE level is 450.iam having severe itching of the ski...[more]
  • high IGE lavel (2 replies):
    i had test my total IGE lavel , my ige lavel is 604.0 lu...[more]
  • Ige (2 replies):
    My IGE level is 995. Wat it means. Is it caused the alle...[more]
  • About my son (1 replies):
    My son is 7 years old and he is suffering from Atopic De...[more]
  • Elevated IgE level (2 replies):
    dear Dr. my son is 2and 1/2 yr old he is suffering from ...[more]
Does she have asthma?  

IgE is an allergy chemical that triggers asthma and some other allergic responses.  If she hasn't tried allergy shots, that would be the first step in lowering/controlling the IgE level.  Treating asthma, if she has it, would be essential as well.

If that doesn't help her symptoms that provoked the test, there is the option of a very expensive medication, Xolair.  It is an IgE modifier.  In the US it is used only for moderate to severe asthmatics who do not respond to inhaled steroids and agressive allergy treatment.

I hope you friend gets to feeling better.  They are blessed to have a friend that cares as much as you do.
Hi, welcome to the forum, as discussed in earlier posts, the normal IgE levels fall below 100. Any level above 500 is higher and is suggestive of allergy or parasitic infection. You have known to have mild rise in levels. It can be seen in patients with atopic or allergic dermatitis.  It is usually seen secondary to exposure to allergen and subsequent reaction is mediated by IgE antibodies. Your body is known to hypersensitive to certain things.  

Stinging insects, Aeroallergens (uncommon), Foods and additives like Milk, egg, peanuts, nuts, soy, and wheat are the most common agents to cause such allergic manifestations.

Measures for you to reduce IgE levels are-

- The triggering factor should be identified and should be avoided. Even a skin allergy test can be useful.
- Prompt treatment with anti histamines and glucorticoids during allergic attack.

I suggest you to consult to a skin specialist/ immunologist for further steps of management. Take care and regards.