Allergy Community
Bronchitis? Sinusitis? Allergic Rhinitis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

For the past three months, I have had chest and sinus congestion, manifesting itself in hacking/coughing, wheezing, and expectorating thick yellow (various shades) mucus. I "sound" like I have a cold, but I don't. No other symptons have been present.  Two regimens of antibiotics have proven to be ineffective. I am using daily the generic equivalent of Flonase, am also taking an antihistamine, Advair, and doing nasal irrigation with a neti pot.

I have also had a chest XRay, which my physician said was clear. An ENT doctor examined my nose and throat using a camera probe and indicated that my vocal cords were slightly infamed -- but that was about it.

Even with all that, I can't seem to shake this condition loose. How can I rid myself of this condition once and for all?

Should I request a CT Scan for further examination of this condition?

Thanks,
bluejazz9
Have your doctors mentioned the possibility of acid reflux with you.  Acid reflux, specifically laryngeal-pharyngeal reflux, can cause the symptoms you describe.  You might want to try some OTC reflux meds like prilosec or zantac.

Feel better.
Merry Christmas
Hi, welcome to the forum, there may be acute bronchitis with or without laryngitis. Acute bronchitis usually presents with sputum (mucus), coughing and can also present with wheezing esp. when the small bronchioles are involved. Associated gastro esophageal reflex disease can worsen the condition.

You need to send the mucus or throat swab for culture, microscopy, staining to rule out the pathogen. Antibiotic sensitivity of culture will decide the effective drug as the antibiotic you may be taking is ineffective or pathogens are resistant. Firstly I suggest you to consult physician for possible causes and further management. Take care and regards.
Thanks so much. I don't have several of the GERD symptoms (such as chest pain of any kind), and am using a nasal irrigatioin system twice a day that may be helping a little bit.

I appreciate your suggestion that I should have the mucus sent to a lab for analysis. I have, however, had two regimens of antibiotics (the latter of the two being Levoquin) several months ago and also Prednizone, and none were effective whatsoever.

I have an appointment next month with my ENT physician to check my progress. He may have me get a CT scan for further exploration of the problem. In the meantime, i have switched allergy medication from Clarinex to Xyzal, which may also be helping a little. I now take the allergy medication before bed whereas before, I had been taking Clarinex in the mornings.

I notice that the problem of too much mucus seems less prevalent in the mornings upon waking up. It worsens in the afternoon and evening, especially after meals.

Again, thank you for your input, Dr. Rajput.
Thank you for your kind response. Happy holidays to you too!