Allergy Community
Caffeine intolerance

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Caffeine intolerance

Coffee was once of my favourite things since I was a little girl. When my mother was enjoying her afternoon coffee I would steal a couple of sips while she wasn't watching. I started drinking greek frappe at the age of 13. During the first months I didn't notice any unusual signs, in fact I was feeling very nice and coffee would give me energy for the day. Yet, after 6 months, during an afternoon that I had my usual coffee I had weird symptoms like excitability (my body was shaking for at least 1-1.30 hours), I was getting sick, wanting to throw up and I also had cold sweat. My mother told me that it probably was because of the coffee because she had the same symptoms when she tried it for the first time. But the thing is I wasn't trying it for the first time. Ever since that day I started drinkink decaf coffies and I didn't had a problem. I tried drinking normal coffee but everytime I would end up in bed with all the symptoms above. What is weird though, is that everytime I drink greek frappe or French coffee I get sick but when I drink Greek/ Turkish coffee I am ok. Also, when I drink red bull, or coca colla I am fine. Does that mean that I am caffeine intolerant? And why didn't the symptoms appear earlier? Why do I only get sick with certain coffees? Is there something I can do?
Hey Zelo93, Ti kaneis?
Welcome to the forum.
From  the details you offer , caffeine intolerance is out.
I have a hunch. The frappe,  has probably been linked to some event
that took place when you had the original reaction.
It got registered in memory, along with other details -by your subconscious
mind-, as a part
of a negative and traumatic experience ( most likely not conscious at all). Now the frappe coffee and somehow french coffee -for some unknown reason-, being connected to this event, trigger the same response each time when they are consumed.
The s/c mind is a wonderful part of our being, however, its simplistic logic is
like a 5 year old child's. It has no analytical skills, nor does it possess any
critical judgement.
Hypnoptherapy, EFT and Energy Psychology are Therapies that can
treat this "intolerance".
Seek out a reputable therapist in Thessaloniki to help you with this.
I know how important frappe coffee is in people's lives there!
Let me know if you need more info. I work with all those modalities.
Yia Sou and Blessings,
Nikodicreta

I have the same issue, it seems to be that certain types of coffee contain more caffeine than others.  It could be the protein in coffee that you are allergic to or it could even be the sulfur.

I know its frustrating because I have had coffee since I was little and just now having reoccurring side effects.  Keep us posted.
Hello!! (or Yia sou!)

Well... Now that you mention it The first time I had the symptoms happened to be a very sad day in my life still haunting me untill this day. It had never ocured to me that this could be the reason. I think you are right! Thank you very much! I think I will follow your advice and go see someone that could help :)

-Zenia
Oh yes... It is very very furstrating!!! I'll let you know if anything new happens :)
Yes please do keep us updated.  Ugh it is very frustrating, certain weeks I have coffee after not having it and then bam, I get all stuffed up and have phlegm coming up my throat.