ALLERGY
COMMUNITY
Can Allergies Cause Swollen Tonsils?
by SonyaH909, Jun 24, 2010
Hi, for the last few weeks, when I wake up in the morning, one or both tonsils are puffy. I also have a little bit of phlegm in my throat. My allergies have been really bad this year. Can this be from allergies? It goes away a while after I wake up.
Member Comments (2)
by jasmine1988, Jun 24, 2010
The tonsils are one of the primary sites of immune response to allergies, usually food allergies.
Swollen tonsils could also be caused by bacterial infection of the upper respiratory tract.Due to the repeated inflammation, it is advised that you do some diet revision, taking close note of foods taken, especially before going to bed, so you can ascertain the cause of the enlarged tonsils.
Take Care.
by bsmslBlank, Jun 24, 2010
You might think this weird, but I like your name.  It is very rare, and the spelling is even more rare.

I have been dealing with the same thing.  I don't worry about it at all.  It goes away in just a few minutes and I feel fine.  I assume that my problem is from allergies.  

I suggest you take an antihistemine like Zyrtec if it is bothersome for you to see if that helps.  Also, you could have a dust allergy.  Getting allergy proof covers for your matress, box springs and pillows might help.  You might consider getting new pillows if that is an option.  Also, you should try showering and washing your hair before bed to reduce exposure to all allergens.  

Feel better.