Allergy Community
Can Allergies cause Blood Clots?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Can Allergies cause Blood Clots?

By brother has a few clots in his legs. For the past year and a half every doctor imagineable has tested him for the reason behind having them and none of them have been able to give him a diagnosis.  They say he is healthy and his blood tests are all fine.  No cancer, protein problems, etc.  I was wondering if an allergy to a drug or food might bring on clots?  The only thing that is keeping him alive right now is Heprin, which they have him on a high dose of.  Any ideas, please help.

thanks, kgw2008

Your doctor must have given you the cause of the clots or explained the possible diagnosis to you.

It is very difficult to say anything with certainty without a proper clinical examination and without having a look at the lesions.

How were the blood clots diagnosed? What symptoms is your brother having?

Allergy as being the cause is very less likely. The best option would be to consult your doctor again and talk to him/her in detail about all the doubts that you are having.

Let us know what your doctor tells you.

Regards.
     I think that it might be possible for allergies to result in blood clots in the following way... the body's allergic reaction during an allergic skin rash releases fluids which can build up, making a person's legs swollen, particularly noticeable in the ankles and lower legs where the elastic in one's socks bind. Then, in time this swelling puts enough pressure against the blood vessels that any additional pressure from a poor sleeping position or being seated or standing too long, for instance, can result in the formation of a clot which wouldn't''t have happened if the vessels were not initially constricted by the swollen legs caused by allergic histamine release of fluids. Does anyone agree or have a specific reason for disagreement? I'd be interested to know as I believe that I am experiencing this myself and Aspercreme and lying flat as much as possible helps but so far has not fully relieved the problem.  
The cause of the clots have never been traced to anything.  That is why it is all so weird.  They have lowered his dose of blood thinner and just keep an eye on him to make sure no more clots form (which over the last two years they form again in his legs and they get rid of them only to return).  Now he just had a massive heart attack in the last 2 months.  He's only 48, no cholesteral problems, but I guess he had plaque build up in an artery.  If these two medical problems can be linked it would be interesting to know.  He has not ever been tested for any kind of allergy by the way so I am unaware of any connection to the clots and allergies.

Regards