Can a allergic reaction to motrin be treated with benadryl
My son broke out in hives after taking Motrin for a fever. He was given Benadryl (or an equivalent) in the ER and the Dr said he was allergic to the Motrin. I took him to see an allergist who said this was probably not true because an allergic reaction to Motrin would not respond to Benadryl. Has anyone ever heard of this? Now I'm wondering what to do next. The Allergist said rather then putting him through tests now (he is only 3 and also had to undergo tests for  his nut allergies) we would just wait and cross that bridge when we get there.
Yes allergic reaction to Motrin( Ibuprofen) can be treated by antihistaminics like Benadryl . In severe cases, steroids may also be needed. Motrin or ibuprofen belongs to NSAID(non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs)group.If you are allergic to ibuprofen ,chances are that your son will be allergic to rest of the drugs in this group like aspirin,mefenamic acid etc. So avoid giving these drugs.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and regards.