Allergy Community
Can a mild deviated septum need surgery??????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Hi, I've been reading other posts about deviated septums and can relate to most of the symptoms. .After a year of being ill, and getting nowhere with any doctors, I have finally found one who seems like he wants to help. .I have more often than not, facial pressure and numbness to face and head, sometimes the neck, dizziness, blurry vision, tireness and breathing problems. .For 8 months now I have put it down to sinus problems (my mum has suffered for decades) However after a recent CT scan, my sinuses were ok but I have a mild deviated septum, which my e.n.t says I need surgery for. .Can a mild deviated septum cause all of these symptoms or is it possible that a CT scan wouldn't have shown the full extent of the deviated septum(my nostrils always seem blocked)??? I live in a foreign country without health insurance and I am hesitant to pay thousands of euros on a surgey I do not need, I am a little worried that my e.n.t is jumping the gun so he will receive commision on the surgery. .Also on a recent trip to England I felt so much better which makes me and my dr think I have allergies to something in the country I now live in. .I really need advice on what seems more important for me to do first (as I cant afford to do both now), either the surgery, which I may not need or allergy tests(which I may never find what I'm allergic to). .Sorry for the long post, any advice would be much appreciated.
Per my doctor's last visit (john hopkins education) Quote: we all get
deviated septums in time. Not sure if your a teenager or in mid life. I have a slight left deviated septum also. A ct scan is like hitting your body with an "atom bomb" and would show any problems vs. mri. Yes, blocked nostrils could be sinus or allergies.Pluse, you have the genetic factor for sinus/allergies .."your mom", that says a lot to a doctor, yes?
If you nostrils are clogged then breathing would be a problem..I use faithfully...'NET POT" it will take a while for the saline to go thru if your very clogged..keep trying till you get thru the nostril(s).Most/all Ent doctors recommend using neti pot first before surgeries.. Sterile warm water..and you'll feel better. If the doctor wants to do surgery of any type.. BALLOON SURGERY (GOOGLE IT) which is less invasive than deviated septum. Like mom,sounds to me like your having allergy/sinus related issues, me too.. Please try the neti pot...go to NEILMED.COM and check out the white tea pot type neti...I use it every day 2-3 x's and stopped medications that couldn't/wouldn't work.. I get the facial numbness on one side, raw nostrils, slight earache..cheek bone/forehead ache...for over a year. Not one doctor suggested deviated septum (all well educated too)..possibly "ballon surgery", it at all. I've had mri's, ct scans, brain angiogram, antibi's/nose sprays,name it.Ent's want to.rule out ev/thing before they make a decision. I say I need to have the sinus cavity opened a bit more with balloon surgery. PLEASE, get a neti pot before you make your decision. You won't believe what you'll get out to help you. GOOD LUCK and please don't get intimidated by video of neti pot..JUST KEEP MOUTH OPEN AND YOU'LL BE FINE..CHILDREN DO THIS ALSO...