ALLERGY
COMMUNITY
Can a person be allergic to an ingredient in Red Bull?
Avatar_f_tn
by chibelle, Sep 23, 2008
This is a serious question. On two separate days, I drank a Red Bull energy drink and after about 4 hours later, I had severe symptoms. The first time, I became shaky with a fever and vomited a little. The second time, I had became very weak and shaky, with a hard heartbeat. I had to leave work because I almost passed out. I'm afraid of calling the doctor because he may just pass it off as a joke. Also, I'm wondering if it was just the heat or a kidney/urinary infection I've been having.
Related Discussions
Member Comments (2)
563773_tn?1374250139
by Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank, Sep 23, 2008
Hello,

Red bull is an energy drink containing high levels of caffeine and containing other ingredients which differ from country to country.For more information about the ingredients,you can read the following website: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull

It seems that you had a sort of food allergy to any of the componenets of red bull.You can find out to which ingredient you were allergic by by allergy testing.Skin tests are used for this purpose. This test involves pricking, scratching or injecting food extracts into the patient’s skin. The skin will react with redness and swelling for those extracts capable of eliciting an allergic reaction when consumed.Other tests used are blood tests like RAST and food challenge tests.

Treatment is complete exclusion of the products containing the ingredient from your siet and antihistaminics and steroids.So pls consult an allergy specialist and get your allergy tests done.

Hope it helps. Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Avatar_m_tn
by Chill1971, Jun 21, 2013
I believe you can get allergic reaction to redbull, i have monitored my diet intake as was getting an unbearable burning throat and the other end as well. defiantly a reaction to redbull as i required antihistamine after wards or the burning acid continues indefinably and gagging in the mornings  very bad stuff for some of us.